John Wilkes

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:02 am
John Wilkes (1727-1797) British political reformer, noted for publishing articles attacking George III and supporting the rights of the exploiters in the colonies of the US.

Have I expressed this brief introduction clearly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 508 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Sententia

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:28 am
If this is to be an essay of some sort, I believe you are in need of a verb. And you wrote "John Wilkes (1727-1797) British political reformer..." I'd say you should do something like, "John Wilkes (1727-1797), a British political reformer noted for..." I'm not sure if that comma after the date is placed appropriately, though. I've never had to do a sentence with a birth and death date included in it.

Edit: Sorry if I'm wrong, though. I just want to edit things as much as possible during the summer to practice for the coming school year.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:31 am
The introduction is:

John Wilkes (1727-1797)
British political reformer, noted for publishing articles attacking George III and supporting the rights of the exploiters in the colonies of the US.

It is no need to add the indefinite article before "British". The format of the introduction is popular in lexicographers, such as of AHD. For example:

Anna Freud 1895-1982
Austrian-born British psychoanalyst noted for her application of psychoanalysis to child therapy.
0 Replies

Sententia

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:36 am
Oh...I thought it was an essay. Sorry about that!
0 Replies