reported speech

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 10:19 am
Hi everyone,

Would you mind helping me with this grammar rule?

As you know there are 16 tenses in English. Are the future simple in-the-past, the future continuous in the past, the future perfect in-the-past, the future perfect continuous in-the-past used in reported speech?

e.g. Tom: I knew you would help him . If we change it into reported speech, must we say, Tom said he had known I would have helped him. Is it correct or not?
e.g. Tom: I knew she would have returned from the US by the of that month.
must we say this sentence in reported speech like this, Tom said he had known she would had returned from the US by the of that month?

Please feel free to correct my mistake if I have made some.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 588 • Replies: 4
No top replies

layman

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2015 01:04 am
@ificouldreturnit,
I don't know all the technical names of tenses, so you can ask somebody who knows, or who wants to look it up. But, that said, I would probably just say:

Quote:
Tom: I knew you would help him

It's not clear from this when Tom said this, i.e., before or after the help had been given. Let's say it was after. Let's say "you" is Bill, and "him" is Joe.

Tom said he knew you Bill would help him Joe.

Or, maybe: Tom told Frank that he knew Bill would help Joe.

Just because it was said in the past does not mean you have to make everything past tense. You can report it as though it is contemporaneously happening, i.e. as though you were at the scene at the time and are repeating what was said at the time.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2015 02:46 am
@ificouldreturnit,

Quote:
Tom said he had known she would have returned from the US by the of that month?

That's okay.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2015 02:50 am
@ificouldreturnit,

Quote:
e.g. Tom: I knew you would help him . If we change it into reported speech, must we say, Tom said he had known I would have helped him. Is it correct or not?

A possibility. Also, and maybe better, Tom said he knew I would help him.
0 Replies

ificouldreturnit

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 10:27 am
Dear members who have answered my question, I appreciate you all for your helpful replies!
0 Replies