The Drama Queen Relationship

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:30 am
Hello all,
First timer here. I'm a 25 year old male and have been in my current relationship for almost 4 years. The first year of this relationship I was very happy and my girlfriend and I were very very close. We did everything together, however,at that time I was in college and went out every night and drank alot as did she. When I graduated, I ended up moving to the town where she worked and we moved in together along with one of her friends (another girl). I had every intention of marrying her at this point. We lived together happily for that first year. At the beginning of the second year, her friend moved out and we finally got a chance to live by ourselves. This is where the problems started cropping up. First of all, she is VERY messy and I always ended up having to clean up the entire apartment otherwise it would get so bad I just couldn't even stand to be inside it. I asked her numerous times to clean up after herself but she never made much of an effort. I explained to her that it is very important to me to keep a clean house. She suggested we get a maid......OK, why can't you as a mature adult clean up your own messes? Later that year, I cut out my drinking for the most part. I would have a beer or cocktail every now and then but I would not sit and drink myself stupid every night. She would make comments to me after that like "..why don't you ever drink with me anymore?". The more she drank, the more hostile and argumentative she would get. When it was time to go to bed, she would get very emotional and chastise me for everything. My feelings would be hurt and I told her this but she never seemed to care. The next morning when her "buzz" wore off, she acted like everything was fine. I would tell her that my feelings were still hurt but she still didn't seem to care, I just had to deal with it.
Another huge argument we have is the question of when we are going to get married. All of her friends are married or engaged, and she is giving me alot of pressure to do the same. I am not ready to mary this girl and I don't want to be pressured into making one of the biggest decisions of my life when I know in my heart I'm not ready.
I'm a very passive person and do not like confrontations, she is much better at making an argument than me. I feel like the more I try and state my case, the more she throws everything in my face. I'm always on the losing end. I finally had enough of feeling like I was wrong all the time. I went and saw a therapist and she told that the next few months for me would be hard and that I may need to move out and decide if this was the person I wanted to be with.
In the months leading up to my move, she kept trying to convince me to stay. She would make me feel insanely guilty about everything. Toward the days just before the move she said that this was basically a divorce and that in a divorce the woman gets to keep everything. Never heard of this rule myself but I was so ready to leave that I let her keep alot of the things I bought for the apartment.
After weeks of my girlfriend crying and arguing with me over my decision, I moved out. She even went as far to say that she was going to make me regret ever making that decision. To make me pay for moving out on her, she said that she should be able to keep a leather couch that I paid for, with little help from her. I didn't have much furniture of my own at the time so when I moved out, I had no couch, no coffee table, and no microwave or toaster. So I bought some living room furniture to which my girlfriend responds..."how are you supposed to buy an engagement ring when you've just spent all your money on living room furniture?". To which I respond that because she kept all of our stuff and wouldn't let me have any of it to furnish my apartment, I had to do something. Her response was..."well this would never had happened if you didn't move out." What am I supposed to say to that? Again, let's all pack our bags for the guilt trip.
I'll fast forward ahead to where we are at present time. She says I'm don't kiss her like I used to. Well, she's a smoker, I am not, I do not want to taste Marlboro when I kiss someone. With numerous pleads with her, she quits. We go on happy for a few more months until she reveals to me that she doesn't know if she wants to be married anymore and starts giving me the cold treatment but still says she loves me and wants to be with me. I can live with that, I'm not ready either. We've started staying at our separate places at night over the past 2 weeks and have grown increasingly distant from one another. She told me last week that she started smoking again. Then at a party she tells someone else that she never really quit and lied to me about it. This is all said right in front of me with other people around making me look stupid in front of my friends. As we leave to party she tells me, "We're not ever hanging out with those people again, I didn't have fun". It's like she's just trying to piss me off. When we go hang out with her friends, I try and make the best of it even though all her friends do drugs (I'm talking cocaine here)and I do not. I can be civil and have a good time even if I don't respect these people. When we leave their parties, I don't say to her that I'm not coming back to hang out with her friends. I understand that they are her friends and I will make a sacrifice to hang out with these people so she gets to be with her friends.
Which brings us to her jealousy issues, and this is a big one. I am a musician and play at local clubs around town. She is jealous of every woman in the bar because she says they give me "bedroom eyes" and are all staring at me. To which I am thinking, well I'm playing music up ON A STAGE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BAR, EVERYONE IS LOOKING!! Cool
If I go have lunch with a female co-worker, she will tell me that she doesn't like whoever it was that I went to lunch with. She questions all my female relationships like I'm sleeping with all of them behind her back. However, she has guy friends and hangs out with them all the time. She even went out of town to go hang out with a guy she grew up with and did I say anything about that? NO. I trust her, but she apparently does not trust me.
Last night, we go to a music festival. We're all dressed in shorts and t-shirts and she puts on a hippie looking skirt. We get home at around 11:45 and she asks me if I want to go to a bar and drink with her and her roommate. I say I'm just going to go on home but I'll hang out till she leaves. Well, she goes into her room and starts changing clothes. She puts on these tight pants and looks very sexy, alot better than the outfit she had on when she was with me. It made me feel inferior, like I wasn't good enough for her to wear that out with me, but she'll look her best to try and impress some drunk strangers at a pub.
I still care about her but I am feeling hurt and rejected alot lately. I suppose she is trying to make me regret all my decisions in the past year. One more item of note, when she goes out to bars with her friends, she always makes it a point to tell me exactly how many guys hit on her throughout the night......it's very very upsetting to me. I never tell her if a woman hit on me in a bar, most importantly b/c she would blow it out of proportion but secondly that I just don't care about if someone hits on me or not. I have a girlfriend and I don't get my self-esteem from random pick up lines from strangers at bars.

What's your take on this people? Any advice or insight would be helpful, thanks for reading.
David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,243 • Replies: 12
No top replies

malinda

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:51 am
life is short! why make it any harder than it has to be.you have the power in yourself to change things to be better.if the relationship is making you miserible, then move on,find your happiness.change is hard , but it will release you from the pain you seem to be in. i do not stay where i am unhappy. sure, i give a couple of chances for the situation to change,but after awhile,i learn i can't change the man,but i can change me!!!! find someone that better suits your needs!
0 Replies

jacquie

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:30 am
David -
Believe or not - there are people who feel like you do. They do not have to be told to be more considerate, understanding or mature. The added bonus is they can be fun too. And loving. All the good stuff.

I think your inner voice, the voice inside your head, is telling you this is not the one for a good reason. She doesn't understand that if she wants to be with you, she needs to hear to you. Really hear you. It sounds like you gave her many opportunitys to hear you accurately. You told her, I don't like a messy house, I don't like being chastized, I dont' ..... She isn't mature enough to understand this concept. Now, you can choose to be the guy she learns this from or not. Additonally, she may not want to learn this about you and herself right now. She may not want to change her lifestyle. Not for you. Not for anybody. How many relationships have you've been in? Think of it this way. Experience builds wisdom. I think most people learn from their mistakes.

I know your depressed and sad now. Even bad relationships cause this kind of pain upon separation. Try to look on the bright side. She is not the only person you will connect with in your life. You've gained some valuable experience here. Something postive can always be gained. Now you know a few things about yourself that are important in your next relationship. It's always important to have your eyes open. Even when it hurts. Try not to ignore the truth when you see it. That will only complicate your life. Trust me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:44 am
It sounds like you've done everything right so far -- counselling, moving out -- and just need to take a deep breath and brace yourself for the very last step. It seems clear from your post that you know your relationship with her has no future, and is destructive and unpleasant (to say the least) in the present.

When I read these threads I'm looking for two things -- the factual components, and how the facts are presented. Often it is clear what the poster thinks should happen by how the facts are presented, and rarely more clear than in your post. You know you need to end this.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 12:02 pm
David--

Reading your post, it was obvious to me that you are growing and changing and your inamorata is not.

As Sozobe says, you have made some very sensible decisions: the counseling; the separate apartment; and the decision to look at your inamorata, her world and her ambitions with a clear eye.

Right now, is this woman your passion? Or your habit? You got together when you were both party animals. You have changed. Now that your world includes more than parties, what does she offer to enrich that world?

As I see it, she wants the outward respectablity of marriage without carrying any of the responsibilities. Messy is offensive to you. Jealousy is offensive to you. Grabby materialism is offensive to you. Disloyalty and showboating are offensive. Unless some changes are made, your marriage would fail. Would she agree to joint counseling? If your welfare isn't inspiring her to change her behavior, counseling just might. If not, you've tried everything that you could and you're ready to move on.

Good luck.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 02:55 pm
David, you know what you have to do.

There are other women out there, and you sound like a guy who a lot of women would be interested in. Not some random stranger in a bar pickup, but a serious relationship.

People who love each other don't treat each other like crap. You deserve better.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:27 pm
I agree. Cut the ties once and for all and move on.
She is a drama queen!
She sounds very immature too.
More stress than you need.
0 Replies

Christina82

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 06:59 pm
Indeed, time to move on. Sounds like someone is still stuck in college with all the partying and messy rooms going on. You've obviously matured from your party days. No surprise there with the friction going on between you two.

Good on ya for listening to your heart and seeking counseling...ALONE on top of that! You've got a good head on your shoulders and I'm sure you will make the right decision in the end. Do what you know is best. Sure after four years with this woman it will be depressing, but with the way she's been treating you, you'll be jumping back in no time when you realize (when you're ready), there are a lot of better women out there! There are worse women also, but you've got some experience and wisdom in relationships now so hopefully you won't be making any bad choices.

Good luck!!
0 Replies

irishlady

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 07:39 pm
David, I had a realtionship like this with a guy..ended up marrying him. We are divorced now but it took me 10 years from start to finish to finally get up the nerve to leave! Please don't waste your life trying to change someone or hope that they grow up, if your leaving didn't push her into reality nothing will! Oh and by the way from my experience..if she's acting distrustful of you it may just be HER guilty conscience.
Please don't be a doormat like I was!!!!
0 Replies

Shosh24

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 08:33 pm
First thing is first, you have to make yourself happy and in my opinion you are not happy with this girl. She does not seem to be doing anything to keep this relationship together let alone move it to the next level.

You have to remember that just because you have been with someone for a long time does not mean that they are right for you. If things are this rocky now getting married or even moving back in together does not magically fix the massive problems which you are dealing with.

You would also assume that a person in there mid 20's would be past this childish behavior and be able to conduct themselves like an adult that is progressing not regressing through life.

Just because you love someone does not mean they are right for you.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 04:32 am
Good advice, Shosh, and welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 04:40 am
I dated a few girls for 2-4 years and with some, even talked marriage, until I realized they were awful for me. I moved on, and am happily married now. Welcome Shosh, that was indeed good advice.
0 Replies

SueZCue

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 06:24 am
You've outgrown this person. It happens.
0 Replies