Chewing the fat

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 11:27 pm
Do you think the following idioms are still in use, or have been old-fahionsed?

(1) Chew the fat = chew the rag = shoot the breeze = chat randomly

We sat there drinking beer and chewing the fat until it was time to go home.

(2) Double Dutch = inexplicable speech or writing

Their conversation about computers was all double Dutch to me!

(3) Bell the cat = to risk one's life for the benefits of others

It's quite difficult to get a man who can bell the cat.

(4) Van Gogh's ear for music
Van Gogh was a genius in painting, yet he was an idiot in music circle.

Don't take Patrick to concert, he get a pair of Van Gogh's ears.

(5) Barbecue = pirate

(6) Someone's name is mud = someone is notorious

My name's mud in the office after what happened today.

(7) Roman holiday = appreciating other people's misery.

Barney knew that Lamb and John liked to match boxers who went in to be cut to pieces to make a Roman holiday for the crowds.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,252 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 05:53 am
Tis sad to say, O, but all these are from days gone by, things my parents would have said.

I wouldn't try to tell what the latest are, they will be changed again by this afternoon. Laughing

By the way, Van Gogh cut off his ear, so someone with a Van Gogh's ear for music has no ear at all.

Joe
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:51 pm
"Chew the fat" is Cockney rhyming slang (Chew the fat = Have a chat). It is still understood, but a bit dated.

"Double dutch": Understood and still used. So is "It's all Greek to me."

"Bell the cat": Will be current as long as Aesop and Aesop is older than Christianity. Incidently, the meaning is not "who will risk one's life", but "there's a difficult problem here--which everyone wants to be solved-- and who is going to handle it?"

Joe told you all about Van Gogh's missing ear.

Barbecue as pirate? I have vague memories of this usage from my fling with historical novels 40 years ago, but this is not current English usage.

"Someone's name is mud". Dr. Mudd was the man who treated John Wilkes Booth who was shot in the leg after he killed President Lincoln. Dr. Mudd's reputation and his medical practice were both destroyed.
The phrase puns on "Mud-which-is-wet-dirt" and Dr. Mudd.

Roman Holiday is not so much appreciating other people's misery as viewing other people's troubles as an entertaining way to spend the afternoon. The classic phrase is "Butchered to make a Roman Holiday."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:53 am
Let the idioms go their way -- a road to museum, and blessing them, except those picked out by Noddy. Smile
0 Replies

Sententia

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:59 am
I'm 16, and I have never heard of those in my life...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:04 am
Sententia wrote:
I'm 16, and I have never heard of those in my life...

That's it. Do you mind telling where you live?
0 Replies

Sententia

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:12 am
The U.S. Let me think of some that are still in use...
0 Replies

Sententia

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:21 am
Here's some that come to mind:

Dough = money

Gung Ho = sure/obsessive? (My sister and her friends use this. They say, "Don't be so gung ho about it.")

Jinx = curse/bad luck (This word was a total hit back in elementary when we used to say "Personal jinx!" when you say the same word at the same time as someone else.)

Phat = cool? (I'm not sure...I'm not that ghetto. Very Happy)

Flash/Flashing = Mooning = showing your bare butt

There's more but my brain doesn't seem to be working. I don't use idioms very often...or I just can't identify them as idioms. Haha.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:19 am
S: Tell Oristar what you mean by
Quote:
"I'm not the ghetto".
It's a perfect example of a modern idiom.
0 Replies

Sententia

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:39 am
The meaning of ghetto tends to change based on the context of the sentence or situation. In my case, I mean as in hip hop since phat is commonly used by those who are into hip hop. However, in a sentence where one is referring to a really cheap-looking object, it will go like this: "That's one ghetto car!" But then again, it can also mean really cool and of good quality: "Oh my gosh! That's one ghetto watch..."<--in tone of wonder, shock, and amazement Ghetto can also be used to describe people. But I think ghetto is mostly used to describe things that are really cheap and ugly.

I'd say "tight" is a good idiom to describe something cool and good rather than "ghetto." But I really hate to use that word...as well as ghetto.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:19 pm
wow.

let me check the mirror.

yep.

I'm old.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:35 pm
Well explained Sententia.

Using the word ghetto might smell the odour of a racist?
That is why you didn't want to use ghetto?
0 Replies

Sententia

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:56 pm
It's not that it's racist to use ghetto. I'm just not that type of person. I just can't imagine myself saying to someone, "That's really ghetto." That word is generally used by someone who's relaxed most of the time or which was the case a year or two ago, someone who wants to fit in and follow what the crowd does... I tend to replace ghetto with words that accurately attribute the object or person. The word gay was used commonly to mean anything negative when I was in elementary school, but it's used less frequently now. I used to use it, too, but that was before I knew the real meaning of gay. (I mean as in homosexual...not happy.) I think with America accepting gays moreso than a couple of years ago, people tried to stop using gay negatively. I do hear it sometimes, but then, especially at school, people are reprimanded by fellow classmates or friends for saying that in a negative way. (But, unfortunately, people still use faggot...)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 01:16 pm
Sententia, oristra--

Consider the possibility that sixteen year olds do not yet have a complete linguistic grasp of the English language--or of any language.

Age doesn't necessarily confer wisdom, but age and ominivorous reading accumulate vocabulary words the way a well-built pier collects barnacles.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 01:23 pm
Re: Chewing the fat
oristarA wrote:
Do you think the following idioms are still in use, or have been old-fahionsed?

We sat there drinking beer and chewing the fat until it was time to go home.

This means drinking beer and eating pork rinds.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:18 pm
Noddy, I got confused by your idiom " a well-built pier collects barnacles." What does it mean?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:23 pm
Barnacles are a useless but extremely adhesive form of shellfish. Seagoing ships have to have the barnacles scraped off the hull every so often because they slow the ship down.

No one bothers to scrape barnacles off a pier (wharf/dock). Barnacles just accumulate and accumulate and accumulate.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 01:44 am
Cheers, I got this one that was so familiar in my childhood. Very Happy

Barnacles:
http://www.liuzhong.xm.fj.cn/bkzlk/%E7%94%9F%E7%89%A9/%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87/g%E8%97%A4%E5%A3%B6%E7%9A%84%E7%A7%8D%E7%B1%BB.jpg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 11:58 am
Incidently, Oristar, "a well-built pier collects barnacles" isn't an idiom (a basic peculiar structure in the language). It's just a fact with bit of flair.
0 Replies