U.S. Worried About Living Up To Netanyahu Campaign Promises

djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 02:04 pm
http://o.onionstatic.com/images/28/28924/16x9/700.jpg?0402

WASHINGTON—Saying the Likud Party leader had set Israeli citizens’ expectations extremely high in the run up to his reelection Tuesday, top-level sources expressed their worry Wednesday about whether the United States would actually be able to live up to Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s campaign promises. “Given the ambitious list of security and spending initiatives that Netanyahu guaranteed Israeli voters on the campaign trail, I think it could be very difficult for the U.S. to come through on all of them; the pressure’s really going to be on America not to disappoint his constituents,” said U.S. State Department spokesman Eric Patel, explaining that, realistically, the U.S. would likely have trouble following through on Netanyahu’s repeated vows on the campaign trail to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon at any cost and continuing to thwart the creation of a Palestinian state. “He made a bold personal pledge to every voter that Israel’s military capabilities would be considerably bolstered under his watch, which is going to be real tough for us to accomplish. I’m afraid we might end up having to eat his words.” With Netanyahu’s extensive agenda laid out before the U.S., Patel added that America would likely just have to increase its annual $3.1 billion in aid to Israel a little further and hope for the best
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,474 • Replies: 6
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 02:06 pm
@djjd62,
many people claim The Onion is not real news, but i think it's way more real than any news on TV, certainly CNN, MSNBC and FOX
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 02:44 pm
Pretty good for Onion.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 04:24 pm
Sometimes the tail just has to wag the dog a little harder.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 04:42 pm
This is what the BBC says, not really that much different.

Quote:
The White House has condemned what it called "divisive rhetoric" in the Israeli election, won by Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud party.

The US, EU and UN have also urged him to continue with the two-state solution to the Palestinian issue.

During campaigning, Mr Netanyahu said he would not allow the creation of a Palestinian state if re-elected.

He aims to build a new coalition government within two to three weeks, his party says.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said: "It has been the policy of the United States for more than 20 years that a two-state solution is the goal of resolving the conflict between the Israelis and Palestinians."

The US would "re-evaluate our approach" in the wake of Mr Netanyahu's comments ruling out a Palestinian state, he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31953207
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 04:47 pm
@djjd62,
This slightly improves my crabby mood today.
A smidge.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 12:41 am
@ossobuco,
Not mine. I think the U S government and Israel's is made up of a bunch of mongoloid idiots. Nothing news media prints seems to get through to the politicians or the voting public.
0 Replies