Great SOY debate... or is it not 'soy' great?

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 03:08 pm
All over the news there is Good for you soy, Bad for you soy. I have just reciently changed my diet to include soy and cut out red meat. NOW i learn that soy not only includes HIGH amounts of estrogen but also inhibits the bodys ability to use b-12 and that you actually require MORE when eating soy on a regular basis.
Being a nurse I know for a fact that estrogen causes and feeds 75% of female cancers. So why is it still ok to market soy as a good meat substitute?

Opinions?
Facts?
Thoughts?
Share them with me.
http://www.westonaprice.org/myths_truths/myths_truths_soy.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,993 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 04:38 pm
While studies have shown that women who eat or drink soy products have a lesser amount of breast cancer, there are also studies that women who already have or have had breast cancer of the estrogen receptor positive type have a somewhat increased chance of reoccurence if, as I understand it, they heavily increase use of soy - and by that I mean taking large amounts of soy powder supplement.

This is off the top of my head and I haven't looked up the studies to corroborate my recall of all I have read. Will find some links later this weekend.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 05:08 pm
I saw an article recently that stated that American soy products are not good for you. It said that soy as used in Japan is good for you.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:56 pm
Edgar.... so, tofu is good, but soy-bacon is bad?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:04 pm
Bada bing. I don't make 'em up, just pass 'em on.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:06 pm
well, the 'soy products' like bacon and sausage are highly processed and contain a lot of fat and sodium. Tofu is much less processed with probably no sodium. Interesting.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:00 pm
true. BUT in one of the sites i posted the dr states that it isnt what the soy is made INTO it is how the soy is cooked. apparently there are seceral components to soy that are not beneficial to humans and some we can not even digest. If it isnt cooked correctly , we are basically giving our bodies things it cant even use.
I wonder why things like this are not as popular and easy to look up??? You can find more about USING/EATING soy then you can about its genetic make up and how it breaks down in the body.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:12 pm
The answer is simple. Start eating meat again.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:22 pm
I think I am going to.
I hate simple things.

Laughing
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:32 pm
Quote:
Myth: Phytoestrogens in soy foods can enhance mental ability.

Truth: A recent study found that women with the highest levels of estrogen in their blood had the lowest levels of cognitive function; In Japanese Americans tofu consumption in mid-life is associated with the occurrence of Alzheimer's disease in later life.

So that'swhat's wrong with me!

I eat a lot of soy. I just don't like preparing meat that much. And since I won't eat regular hot dogs or sausage, I eat veggie substitutes.

Overall, I think eating soy is safer than HRT. But safer than doing nothing... I don't know.

Most legumes (beans) have plenty of phytoestrogens. I eat lots of beans.

I think I read in Our Stolen Future that phytoestrogens are much safer than other xenoestrogens (found in man-made pollutants).

The risk of ingesting alfatoxins is there, but it is there with many other foods (including broccoli).

So I dunno. I'm just gonna eat what I like and what makes me feel good for now.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:50 pm
Well, let's hope it's not too bad because I can't digest lactose and other kinds of milk protein, so I eat soy on a daily basis.

If high estrogen levels are linked to alzheimers, doesn't that mean that females on birth control or who were on birth control are very high risk?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:54 pm
I think that sometimes eating what makes you 'feel good' is usually the answer.
Just so long as what makes you feel good isnt an emotional substitute of course. Feeling good when you eat is maintaining an energy level all day , good clear skin, healthy hair teeth eyes etc...
and in order to get all of that humans have to honor thier omnivore < spelling? > heritage.
eat meats, sparingly eat veggies mostly and sugars/ fats only when necessary.
Soy products contain SOOOO many estrogens though that any woman over 30 honestly is at risk of developing female cancers that feed off of hormones like estrogen. Simply because your body makes what it needs to survive.. to throw that off balance like that only creates chaos.And chaos in a womans body starts with her uterus. Cancer, tumors, endometerosis etc..
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 10:59 pm
*warning, excessive and unprovoked complaining*

Eh, my body is unhappy no matter what I do. I'm really sort of a medical lost cause. I have severe chronic allergies and perpetual hives, asthama that lands me in the hospital, panic attacks, I get sick from most of the foods I eat and have bad irritable bowel syndrome. I grind my teeth at night (my back teeth are about 1 mm and I'm 21) and I have TMJ. I have 17 cavities yet I take good care of my teeth (brushing, flossing daily) and I don't drink soda. I'm also tired a lot, and I get grumpy. There's a strong history of mental illness in my family. I try to exercise and eat things that don't make me too sick. I try to stay positive.

I wish I was born healthy. I know, it could always be worse - for sure, and I am fortunate not to be worse than I am, but it hurts me to see people wasting their health, ruining perfectly good bodies with drugs and what have you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 11:12 pm
OK, what I know to now is from my breast cancer surgeon, who is exceptionally savvy. (my especially wee but not nothing problem was not typed as estrogen positive)

anyway, her pov was that soy milk, tofu, ok - powder supplements in big doses, no, no, no, no.

I hope to come back to the a2k questions on this with data, but gads, I am a lazy girl.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 11:32 pm
Portal, cookie, you have lots of problems, what a pain. I am sorry to hear all this. I have had allergies come and go, for no discernable reason. Have much less where I am now, in north north California, though I don't hold a place out as some kind of cure.

From my own experience, if one is in a sensitive state, all sorts of things trigger all sorts of things, and if one isn't (even the same person) then no big deal.

I spent a lot of my younger years sneezing. What can I say, it isn't foxy behavior.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:27 am
Herbal remidies are wonderful. I use them daily. anyone else? My husband has tmj. when i met him i started treating it with valerian at night and a few other things during the day. >mostly just added into his food so he didnt have to eat/drink something constantly< and after 4 months it is gone. Though he is in the same place.... back teeth are worn down.
Im sorry to hear that you have so many problems at such a young age. :-(
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 11:30 am
Portal Star wrote:

I wish I was born healthy. I know, it could always be worse - for sure, and I am fortunate not to be worse than I am, but it hurts me to see people wasting their health, ruining perfectly good bodies with drugs and what have you.

You have every right to complain. I have some problems that frustrate me, too, but yours sound way worse.

Anyway, I know where you are coming from, especially with your last statement there.

Hang in there.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 12:40 pm
There is nothing to be embarassed about when you say " i wish i was born healthy" Im sure you feel like you got screwed out of a working body somewhere and it is perfectly fine to wish you hadnt been.
And yes, things can be worse so dont take comfort in that. Please! :-)
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:00 pm
I thought this article was interesting:

http://www.fwhc.org/health/phytoestrogens.htm

The info about pomegranates was interesting to me. I love pomegranates & I just discovered POM Wonderful juice. I loved it and went on a binge this weekend (drank almost a whole large bottle). I swear my boobs are a bit bigger. I guess I will have to moderate my intake some (just as well, it's expensive).
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 07:05 pm
Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Pomegranets give you bigger boobs?
I think I am going to start an IV of that right now..... Shocked
0 Replies