What good does religion offer the world today?

cicerone imposter

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 01:15 pm
@TheCobbler,
I also believe in the world concept. In addition to having friends in many countries, my best friend was born in Shanghai, China. We met in Chicago, but when I moved back to California to attend college, he eventually moved to California. He was one of the first to learn programming computers in the early 1960s, and even taught it in college. He was also the manager at Lockheed Martin of the department that designed software for the company.
He was diabetic, but loved to eat. He was also a good cook, and after I got married, he used to come to our apartment on weekends to cook for us. His bad eating habits eventually affected his health, and he passed away.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 01:21 pm
@TheCobbler,
You explained it very well why some of us do not believe in Christianity. All my siblings are Christians, and I'm an atheist. Religions were created by many cultures to control the masses.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 01:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't know why you're telling me that, I'm not the one disputing evolution.
cicerone imposter

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 01:51 pm
@izzythepush,
It's agreeing with you!
izzythepush

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 01:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Ok.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 08:35 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Scientists didn't set out trying to disprove the Bible, the exact opposite in fact. When the answer wasn't God it became very difficult for them

This assumes that science proved the answer wasn't God.
Do I need to say more?

OK, I will. All I'm pointing out is that when 'science' assumes without question that the answer is not and cannot be God, it is no longer science.
Fil Albuquerque

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:10 am
@Leadfoot,
Science doesn't have anything to say about God except that God talk is not Science as is presented currently.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:08 pm
@Leadfoot,
It doesn't assume anything. Scientists soon discovered what the Bible claimed was just not true.

You have idiots like Gungasnake trying to argue that the Earth is only a few thousand years old and Peruvians used to ride around on dinosaurs because he can't accept that religious dogma is not literally true.

You act like there's some kind of conspiracy by scientists to actively deny God. There's not, they've just not found any evidence to support his existence. Now instead of arguing over tiny little stuff why not take comfort that nobody has actually disproved the existence of God, instead of trying to get people to see something that just isn't there.

As I've said before, both the Pope and Archbishop of Canterbury accept evolution. Why is it so hard for you?

Btw, what's with the Putin avatar?
Leadfoot

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:30 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You act like there's some kind of conspiracy by scientists to actively deny God.

Not at all. There is nothing secret about it. It is part and parcel of Methodological Naturalism, the basis of all scientific research.
Supernatural causes are unconditionally ruled out. Period.

I don't know what to think of your claims about science disproving bible claims. Any real scientist would walk away from that.
izzythepush

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:43 pm
@Leadfoot,
I'm not a scientist, neither a I a religious nutcase. Your stuff may play well in the Bible belt and amongst jihadists but the rest of us aren't interested. You're starting to sound like Camlok and his 9/11 nonsense.

camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
amongst jihadists but the rest of us aren't interested.

Here we go again with the "jihadists" meme. You are just like layman, McGentrix, georgeob1, Baldimo, ... .

Quote:
You're starting to sound like Camlok and his 9/11 nonsense.

Agreed, you are not a scientist. You don't even believe in science. Or evidently, logic. Professor Hulsey, who, after a two year study, says, in effect, WTC7 was a controlled demolition. As do all the other thousands of scientists, architects, engineers, firemen, lawyers, pilots, scholars, chemists, NASA scientists, ... .

You, Izzy, stay in your little bubble, pretending you have people on ignore, then snipe from your little, carefully tended, garden of confusion.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 03:41 pm
@izzythepush,
You forgot to include Hitler
izzythepush

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 05:02 pm
@Leadfoot,
If you want to sound like Hitler that's up to you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:07 pm
@izzythepush,
My sister is a staunch Christian, and she tells me going to heaven is free. I told her to stop it. I could have told her that the Bible is full of errors, omissions and contradictions, but I didn't, because I know it's a waste of time.
Christianity was created 2000 years ago, and Homo sapiens have roamed this planet for much longer. No god is going to be that late in telling humans they must believe in him or perish in hell.
It's not free; one must sacrifice common sense and logic.
My god is science.
camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 09:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
My god is science.

Your god is the USA, despite it being the devil.
cicerone imposter

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 09:57 pm
@camlok,
The devil, USA has less than 5% of the world's population, but the richest and strongest in the world. Where do you live?
camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And way too much of the world's wealth, most of which it has stolen from the mouths of the poor.
cicerone imposter

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 01:29 am
@camlok,
That's funny; I worked and studied hard. Worked in management for 80% of my working career, did consulting work for small business and the Kidney Foundation, and retired early. Invested and saved well, traveled the world (80 countries) and have friends in many countries including Cuba, Singapore, Russia, England, Germany, Mexico, all across the US and France. Donated to Africa, Habitat for Humanities and Second Harvest Food Bank.
Your ignorance is overwhelming.
BTW, we come from a very poor family, because our mother raised four children. My older brother was an attorney, my younger brother a doctor, and my sister an RN.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 01:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
You also have the natural resources of the best part of a continent and consume 80% of the global supply of opioids. Just saying.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/27/americans-consume-almost-all-of-the-global-opioid-supply.html
cicerone imposter

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 02:41 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, opioids is a problem. That doesn't take away from our countries wealth or power. Poor countries have opioid problems too.