What good does religion offer the world today?

InfraBlue

Fri 23 Oct, 2015 10:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I suggested you should be able to figure it out. I was supposing (making a blind guess) that you have the intelligence for that kind of thing.

I prefer to not play guessing games and ask directly what you mean. It's funny that you're bothered by being asked to explain yourself. You confuse intelligence with mental telepathy.

Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

But others basing their beliefs a/o lack thereof on similar substantive evidence are merely making blind guesses.

But that is what I said. Didn't you read what I responded to your question? Should I continue to respond if you are not reading what I say?

I repeated what you said to set up my response thereto.

Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Your criteria for what qualifies as "substantive" is clearly subjective.

Okay...so what?

So, you dismiss others' evidence as non-substantive, e.g. their assertions that there is/isn't a god, while accepting your own evidence as substantive, e.g. that the Bible stories are silly myths, based on your own subjective criteria. You're not being objective, let alone rational.

The assertion that the Bible stories are silly myths is as substantive as the assertion that god exists/doesn't exist.
Frank Apisa

Sat 24 Oct, 2015 04:05 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
I suggested you should be able to figure it out. I was supposing (making a blind guess) that you have the intelligence for that kind of thing.

I prefer to not play guessing games and ask directly what you mean. It's funny that you're bothered by being asked to explain yourself. You confuse intelligence with mental telepathy.

Nope. I think I DID over-estimate your intelligence, though. If you could not figure that out for yourself...I definitely did.

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

But others basing their beliefs a/o lack thereof on similar substantive evidence are merely making blind guesses.

But that is what I said. Didn't you read what I responded to your question? Should I continue to respond if you are not reading what I say?

I repeated what you said to set up my response thereto.

I don't even know what you are, unsuccessfully, trying to communicate with that sentence, Blue. They are all English words, though...I'll give you that.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Your criteria for what qualifies as "substantive" is clearly subjective.

Okay...so what?

So, you dismiss others' evidence as non-substantive, e.g. their assertions that there is/isn't a god, while accepting your own evidence as substantive, e.g. that the Bible stories are silly myths, based on your own subjective criteria. You're not being objective, let alone rational.

The assertion that the Bible stories are silly myths is as substantive as the assertion that god exists/doesn't exist.

I am being rational.

And if you think an opinion about whether or not the Bible seems more mythological than actually "the word of a god" is the same as an opinion about whether or not a god exists...YOU are not.

But thank you for sharing your thoughts, such as they are, with me.
izzythepush

Sat 24 Oct, 2015 04:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I am being rational.

Why the sudden change of heart?
TheCobbler

Sat 24 Oct, 2015 05:17 am
The age of reason indicates a state of enlightenment where society has done away with biblical myths and barbaric scriptural laws for a cohesive idea of societal manners that are collective thus they take knowledge and over time wisdom to obtain. This gives one insight into the pitfalls of biblical thought.

Just as Christians talk of a "new birth" of the spirit, the age of reason had its own new birth and realization as an awaking of the mind that supersedes the crude and barbaric ideas of the Bible. We learn these reasons and rational from others in society who are enlightened and we bear witness of these ideas to others and they in time also understand and become transformed by this reason.

tc
Leadfoot

Sat 24 Oct, 2015 07:02 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
The age of reason indicates a state of enlightenment where society has done away with biblical myths and barbaric scriptural laws for a cohesive idea of societal manners that are collective thus they take knowledge and over time wisdom to obtain. This gives one insight into the pitfalls of biblical thought.
While I am an advocate of reason, science, engineering, etc, I question the assertion that it has 'done away with' the need for what you call 'myths'.

The common measures of 'standard of living' have undoubtedly been raised for the majority on earth by this 'enlightenment' but embracing science as 'all we need' is at the cost of an emptiness of soul that is becoming more and more apparent. You can point to the insanity of movements like ISIS as evidence for the pitfalls of 'Biblical/Quran thought' but the fact that even well educated upper class westerners are drawn to such suicidal movements speak equally loud for my assertion.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 24 Oct, 2015 07:25 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
I am being rational.

Why the sudden change of heart?

No change of heart. I've always been rational, Izzy.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 24 Oct, 2015 07:31 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

Just as Christians talk of a "new birth" of the spirit, the age of reason had its own new birth and realization as an awaking of the mind that supersedes the crude and barbaric ideas of the Bible. We learn these reasons and rational from others in society who are enlightened and we bear witness of these ideas to others and they in time also understand and become transformed by this reason.

tc

Could be, Cobbler.

But none of us knows if there are gods or not. We can only make BLIND GUESSES about that.

The Bible and other holy books could have it completely wrong...and there still could be a creature who brought what we humans call "the universe" into existence.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sat 24 Oct, 2015 08:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
If you could not figure that out for yourself...I definitely did.

You were able to figured out what you were talking about, huh? At least one of us knows what's going on in that head of yours.

Frank Apisa wrote:
I don't even know what you are, unsuccessfully, trying to communicate with that sentence, Blue. They are all English words, though...I'll give you that.

I'll help you out. "Thereto" means "to that, this, or it." In my sentence it refers to "what you said."

Frank Apisa wrote:
And if you think an opinion about whether or not the Bible seems more mythological than actually "the word of a god" is the same as an opinion about whether or not a god exists...YOU are not.

But by your own admission your criteria is subjective so an opinion about whether or not the Bible seems more mythological than actually "the word of a god" is the same as an opinion about whether or not a god exists is equally valid. Where you are irrational is when you accept one as vaild and one as invalid on a whim. That is not rational.
FBM

Sat 24 Oct, 2015 09:08 pm
Religions. Nothing crazy about them at all. Nope.

0 Replies

Glennn

Sat 24 Oct, 2015 09:31 pm
I believe that the above is a video of people training for the purpose of surviving a not-quick-enough retreat from a fight with a leopard.
Frank Apisa

Sun 25 Oct, 2015 03:04 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
If you could not figure that out for yourself...I definitely did.

You were able to figured out what you were talking about, huh? At least one of us knows what's going on in that head of yours.

The "I definitely did" goes to the part you cut out...the part where I talked about possibly over-estimating your intelligence.

Thanks for showing once again that I did over-estimate it.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
I'll help you out. "Thereto" means "to that, this, or it." In my sentence it refers to "what you said."

What you said still makes no sense. But little you say does...so we'll leave it at that.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

But by your own admission your criteria is subjective so an opinion about whether or not the Bible seems more mythological than actually "the word of a god" is the same as an opinion about whether or not a god exists is equally valid. Where you are irrational is when you accept one as vaild and one as invalid on a whim. That is not rational.

Most of what you say is not rational, Blue.

If you want to think an opinion about the nature of the Bible is based on as little evidence as an opinion about whether a god exists or not...do so.

If I laugh at you for doing so...please understand that I am laughing at you, not with you.
FBM

Sun 25 Oct, 2015 06:08 am
@Glennn,
Laughing Maybe there's some good in it, after all.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 25 Oct, 2015 01:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

]The "I definitely did" goes to the part you cut out...the part where I talked about possibly over-estimating your intelligence.

You make yet another assumption that I should know that you over-estimate my intelligence.

To repeat, only you know what goes on in that head of yours.

Frank Apisa wrote:

What you said still makes no sense. But little you say does...so we'll leave it at that.

It's over your head.

Frank Apisa wrote:

If you want to think an opinion about the nature of the Bible is based on as little evidence as an opinion about whether a god exists or not...do so.

If I laugh at you for doing so...please understand that I am laughing at you, not with you.

What's laughable is that by your own admission you're being subjective, and go on to confuse that with rationality.
Frank Apisa

Sun 25 Oct, 2015 02:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

]The "I definitely did" goes to the part you cut out...the part where I talked about possibly over-estimating your intelligence.

You make yet another assumption that I should know that you over-estimate my intelligence.

To repeat, only you know what goes on in that head of yours.

Frank Apisa wrote:

It's over your head.

Frank Apisa wrote:

What's laughable is that by your own admission you're being subjective, and go on to confuse that with rationality.

Feel better now?

http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/e/ed/Crazy_old_coot.jpg
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Sun 25 Oct, 2015 06:40 pm
The spirit or knowledge
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 27 Oct, 2015 09:39 pm
Yay, religion?

Quote:
Christian website: Don’t look at your wife’s face during sex to enjoy it even when she resists
David Edwards DAVID EDWARDS
26 OCT 2015

A Christian website that gives advice to couples about how to live by the Bible’s “gender roles” recently advised men that they should not look at their wives’ faces during sex if she engaged in intercourse “begrudgingly.”

In a column on the BiblicalGenderRoles.com website last week, a writer going by the name Larry Solomon argued that men “should not tolerate refusal.”

According to the Christian columnist, women who did not like having sex with their husbands should “fake it until she makes it.”

But Solomon noted that coercing wives into sex did not always result in an enjoyable experience for the husband.

“You also need to realize that whether your wife knows it or not she needs to have sex too,” he opined. “If you don’t have sex with your wife at regular intervals, even sometimes when she is not in the mood but consents anyway, you will open yourself to temptation.”

“Focus your eyes on her body, not her face. Focus on the visual pleasure you receive from looking at her body and physical pleasure you receive from being inside your wife,” Solomon recommended. “You want to connect with her physically AND emotionally during sex. But your wife is the one refusing to connect with you emotionally, so you have to concentrate 100% on the physical side.”

Solomon said that men should think of unwilling wives like Medusa, the mythical Greek monster who could turn men to stone if they looked upon her face.

“I know you love your wife, most men love their wives. But sin is ugly,” the writer remarked. “Your beautiful bride’s face becomes ugly during this sinful time that she is grudgingly giving you sex as she grimaces wanting you to ‘just hurry up and get it over with’.”

“So like the men who could not look at Medusa’s face otherwise they would be killed, realize that if you look on your wife’s face when she is displaying a sinful attitude toward sex it will kill your sexual pleasure and may actually make it much more difficult for you to achieve the physical connection and release that you need,” he concluded. “Sometimes we have to work around the sinful behavior of our wives and this will be one of those times.”

In a column earlier this year, Solomon insisted that there was “no such thing as marital rape.” A wife, he said, could ask her husband to delay sex for a short period of time but the request “must be done humbly and respectfully, and always with the attitude in mind that her body does belong to her husband.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/christian-website-dont-look-at-your-wifes-face-during-sex-to-enjoy-it-even-when-she-resists/

Links cited in the article:
http://biblicalgenderroles.com/2015/10/18/how-a-husband-can-enjoy-sex-that-is-grudgingly-given-by-his-wife/

How a husband can enjoy sex that is grudgingly given by his wife
OCTOBER 18, 2015 / BIBLICALGENDERROLES

and

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/there-is-no-such-thing-as-marital-rape-christian-website-says-wives-must-yield-for-sex-no-questions-asked/

‘There is no such thing as marital rape': Christian website says wives must yield for sex ‘no questions asked’
TheCobbler

Fri 13 Nov, 2015 09:41 am
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12219405_981991651875320_7503462678401092977_n.png?oh=aed08fb376e921df3eb4d8f938fd3115&oe=56B5A441
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 13 Nov, 2015 10:30 am
@FBM,
There was no shortage of religious fanatics in biblical times and there still isn't. But I think you're trying to tar all theists with the same brush.
evobulgarevo

Fri 13 Nov, 2015 11:53 am
@TheCobbler,
"unscientific God"

Moronic statement. Seriously, this is among the dumbest most retarded statements I've come across. Not because I take some sort of personal offence to it, but just because it's a stupid combination of words that don't go together.

"An invisible God with an invisible spirit?"

Another dumb statement. Again, not because I take personal offence to it, but just because it looks like an attempt to discredit the relevance of that which we cannot see. We can't see our thoughts or feelings, but the sure as hell are there. And are of notable significance I might add.

"If it is religion you are selling please make a rational case for it."

Jesus saves. Period. Praise the Lord.

"Without religion we would still have philosophy..."

Some call Buddhism a religion, others say it's a philosophy. Which is it? Buddha came to his conclusion based on philosophical reasoning, and it is recorded that according to his understanding each person can reach enlightenment in the same way.. using philosophical reason.
FBM

Fri 13 Nov, 2015 07:40 pm
@evobulgarevo,
The suttas are adamant that the Buddha did not use philosophical reasoning to achieve enlightenment. He used meditation. Meditation in which discursive thinking ceases.
0 Replies