What good does religion offer the world today?

Leadfoot

Tue 20 Oct, 2015 09:14 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
After death, you won't exist. Therefore, death is not a consequence because there is no one to experience that consequence.
You ARE jerk'n me around. You're supposed to be pretending to believe the book. It says the 'dead' are just sleeping and will be awakened when the time comes.

Play by the rules Glennn...
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 20 Oct, 2015 10:40 pm
Since we're stuck on fanfiction...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/12119072_1210692795612836_3177630196747950770_n.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 02:26 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
So, are you saying that, even in the event that there was no disobedience, Adam and Eve would die without the fruit of the tree of life?
Where are you going with this? Why wouldn't they eat of that tree if they were not kicked out of the garden? God said to eat of every tree except the tree of knowledge, right?

Perhaps it is because the story was invented by someone who was not particularly smart...and who invented an absolutely absurd story.

Nothing wrong with that.

But for modern people to buy into it after seeing what a mess it is...

...that really bites.
TheCobbler

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 05:52 am
Matter is neither created or destroyed, it is simply rearranged, over and over and over...
Leadfoot

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 06:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

...that really bites
Define 'mess'. I assume the 'trees' and eating of their fruit are metaphors but the story still has a consistent logic to it.

(at least MY version, my initial mis-reading of the text notwithstanding :-)

Yikes, this is starting to sound disturbingly like a bible study group
Leadfoot

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 06:23 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Matter is neither created or destroyed, it is simply rearranged, over and over and over...
Not even according to science. Entropy and all that...

Unless matter being scattered to the 4 winds qualifies as 'rearranged over & over'
0 Replies

Glennn

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 06:27 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Hey, I said death as in the permanent, do not pass go, do not collect $200 kind. That's pretty consequential.

This does not sound to me like anyone is going to be woke up. So, is it permanent or not? And if not, is it permanent after the second death?
Leadfoot

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 06:48 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
And if not, is it permanent after the second death?

Yes, affirmative, roger, da, si...
Frank Apisa

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 11:50 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

...that really bites
Define 'mess'. I assume the 'trees' and eating of their fruit are metaphors but the story still has a consistent logic to it.

(at least MY version, my initial mis-reading of the text notwithstanding :-)

Yikes, this is starting to sound disturbingly like a bible study group

The story, Leadfoot...is an abomination in every respect.

It is a story about a monster god...putting a sting on two unsuspecting innocents...for no reason whatsoever.

The god is abhorrent.

The story is also.

I understand ancient, superstitious, relatively unsophisticated people accepting this in some way...

...but for anyone in today's world to accept it is an insult to humanity.
ehBeth

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 12:03 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

So, no eternal torment?

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 12:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

It is a story about a monster god...putting a sting on two unsuspecting innocents...for no reason whatsoever.

The god is abhorrent.

The story is also.

I understand ancient, superstitious, relatively unsophisticated people accepting this in some way...

...but for anyone in today's world to accept it is an insult to humanity

OK, so you don't buy my version of the story, that's fine.

But I don't think you are looking at it objectively, even when taken at face value. God gave these two people their very lives and existence. At the end of the story, they have exactly the same set of circumstances, the same planet, the same requirements to live their lives in as we do. In short, the same life that you have described as your heaven and the best life you can imagine.

What the **** is so abominable about that? What makes God monstrous in this scenario?
Frank Apisa

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 01:08 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

The god is abhorrent.

The story is also.

...but for anyone in today's world to accept it is an insult to humanity

OK, so you don't buy my version of the story, that's fine.

But I don't think you are looking at it objectively, even when taken at face value. God gave these two people their very lives and existence. At the end of the story, they have exactly the same set of circumstances, the same planet, the same requirements to live their lives in as we do. In short, the same life that you have described as your heaven and the best life you can imagine.

What the **** is so abominable about that? What makes God monstrous in this scenario?

The part about the god punishing the couple...and all the rest of humanity...for doing something they did not know was wrong.

And for putting the innocents into the situation in the first place. There was no need for it. If the monster god did not want them to have the power to tell the difference between right and wrong...

...don't put that tree there.

Or for allowing the tempter to be there.

And finally for being such a dick as to be that miffed because some instructions were not followed.

I thought I had already explained that.
Glennn

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 01:17 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Yes, affirmative, roger, da, si...

Okay then, we've established that death is of no consequence to the unbeliever since there is no penalty for disbelieving. Also, the consequence following the first death is the same consequence following the second death, which makes the second death pointless and meaningless . . . other than the drama it will provide the god.
TheCobbler

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 01:53 pm
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-0/p280x280/11059988_10153751909102193_7217075669517871950_n.png?oh=c316fb9b432d78c1c32edee3b887300a&oe=5685A5E6
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 02:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

The part about the god punishing the couple...and all the rest of humanity...for doing something they did not know was wrong.

And for putting the innocents into the situation in the first place. There was no need for it. If the monster god did not want them to have the power to tell the difference between right and wrong...

And finally for being such a dick as to be that miffed because some instructions were not followed.

I thought I had already explained that

And I thought I had already explained that of course he wanted them to know the difference between good and evil. And he wanted them to make the choice to know, even at the cost of dying.

But more to the point, would you have chosen to remain ignorant of those things and all that implies? That would have made Adam and Eve no more than pet gerbils. God wanted them to be more than that.

I'll check the text again but I don't remember God being miffed either.
Frank Apisa

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 02:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

I thought I had already explained that

And I thought I had already explained that of course he wanted them to know the difference between good and evil. And he wanted them to make the choice to know, even at the cost of dying.

But more to the point, would you have chosen to remain ignorant of those things and all that implies? That would have made Adam and Eve no more than pet gerbils. God wanted them to be more than that.

I'll check the text again but I don't remember God being miffed either.

The story is an abomination. Put as much lipstick on this pig as you want...it will remain a pig.

Leadfoot

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 02:50 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
then, we've established that death is of no consequence to the unbeliever since there is no penalty for disbelieving.

Absolutely correct. No reward either.
Quote:

Also, the consequence following the first death is the same consequence following the second death, which makes the second death pointless and meaningless . . . other than the drama it will provide the god.

Except for that last bit, that's all true too.

I'm not saying that you qualify for the second death, I don't know what a passing score is for sure. But let's say for the sake of argument that you don't get a passing grade. Can you honestly say you would not want the chance to know with certainty what the reality is before you die the second death? If I flunk out, I want to know.
Frank Apisa

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 02:55 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
then, we've established that death is of no consequence to the unbeliever since there is no penalty for disbelieving.

Absolutely correct. No reward either.
Quote:

Also, the consequence following the first death is the same consequence following the second death, which makes the second death pointless and meaningless . . . other than the drama it will provide the god.

Except for that last bit, that's all true too.

I'm not saying that you qualify for the second death, I don't know what a passing score is for sure. But let's say for the sake of argument that you don't get a passing grade. Can you honestly say you would not want the chance to know with certainty what the reality is before you die the second death? If I flunk out, I want to know.

Second death!!!

Are we slipping into:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/twilightsaga/images/2/28/The-Cullens-Coven-twilight-series-7636542-1280-1024.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100308162322
Leadfoot

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 02:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
The story is an abomination. Put as much lipstick on this pig as you want...it will remain a pig.
I'll take that as a 'yes' to my question of whether you would choose to remain a gerbil.

Frank Apisa

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 02:58 pm
Or is it closer to:

http://thesource.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/true-blood-cast.jpg
0 Replies