What good does religion offer the world today?

neologist

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 01:53 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Neo you have blinders on, this is not a hate racist Jewish scripture moment but since you asked...

Matthew 10
5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way [places] of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Comment: Why did Jesus not think the Gentiles and Samaritans needed saving, and as you put it, "hope"? Sounds racist to me...

Please answer that specific question.
I've directed you to Daniel ch.9 before, I think. Peruse it again. The prophecy of 70 weeks establishes the time of the Messiah, his preaching, his death, and the keeping of the covenant for "the many" (the nation of Israel). You will note he "caused sacrifice and gift offering to cease" (with his death) at the middle of the week. That was the beginning of the New Covenant. But the covenant for the Jews continued until the baptism of Cornelius. That is why he mostly refrained from preaching to
Gentiles during his ministry.

Do you recall Peter's exclamation at the time of Cornelius' baptism?

I'm using my phone. Sorry if this lacks format.
TheCobbler

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:02 pm
@neologist,
Thanks for proving my point!

"But the covenant for the Jews..."

A covenant from a true "God" should NEVER have been for a single race of people!

THAT is the very definition of THEOCRATIC RACISM...
neologist

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:02 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
What do you think that first man's sin was?
I've come to think that sin at its root is nothing more or less than the denial of reality. The first man did so by denying the reality of what God told him about the 'tree of knowledge'. . .
Both Eve, then Adam disobeyed God's command about the knowledge of good and bad. It was not because they needed any specific knowledge - they already had perfect conscience. But the temptation was to abandon God's standards for the right to set their own - a right they were neither capable of nor entitled to. As a result they lost their perfection and we await the fulfillment of God's promise to set things straight made at Genesis 3:15
neologist

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:08 pm
@TheCobbler,
The covenant with the Jews existed only to identify the Messiah. The Jews proved themselves no better than any other race except for God's promise to Abraham. That so many of the Jews were arrogantly unaware of this fact does not negate the fact.

Apparently you also were unaware.
Now you know
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:09 pm
@neologist,
According to the male chauvinist God of the old testament.

God gave only Adam dominion over the earth, not Eve.

Eve was err, just a woman... (cynical)

When Eve ate the apple, her eyes were simply opened.

When Adam followed Eve and ate the apple he conferred this "dominion over the earth" to the adversary. (This is why Satan is called the God (theos) of this world)

Which sin was worse?
neologist

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:11 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
A covenant from a true "God" should NEVER have been for a single race of people!
But the Abrahamic Covenant applies to all and remains in force.
neologist

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:13 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Which sin was worse?
Adam's
TheCobbler

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:14 pm
@neologist,
Abraham, the father of many nations but only one legitimate race...

I am not convinced.

Racism remains in force too...

Jesus is despised by many Jews, why is that? Did Jesus step on their racist God's toes?

Jesus was supposedly a son of God which would have made him not a son of Abraham through the patriarchal lineage (which was the only one that mattered in Jewish law).

I am not anti Jew but I am anti Jewish religion. This religion is the foundation of the new testament (and Islam) which also has serious flaws in ethical "standards".
TheCobbler

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 02:19 pm
@neologist,
It would certainly seem that way...
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 09:13 pm
https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t34.0-12/11225821_697255143736961_342143256_n.jpg?oh=b1472319d48f8b3aa71e3a791d1803d7&oe=55D9C8D7

What scripture is Trent Franks referring to the satanic verses, the Fisherman's Bible???
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 09:29 pm
https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10511167_10152283763332507_2894686580082052631_n.jpg?oh=9b2647b22bf06843dfe176754e38d9ba&oe=5683F267
Frank Apisa

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 03:45 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10511167_10152283763332507_2894686580082052631_n.jpg?oh=9b2647b22bf06843dfe176754e38d9ba&oe=5683F267

Not sure Carter ever actually said that...but if he did...

...HE HIT THE NAIL SQUARELY ON ITS HEAD.

NOTE TO MALE RELIGIOUS LEADERS:

Wake the hell up! Your mother and grandmothers were females...and so are your sisters and aunts.

Wake the hell up.
TheCobbler

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 09:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
I am quite certain that Jimmy Carter did actually say that and your comment is right on Frank!
Leadfoot

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 09:52 am
It does seem that society either worships or hates women.
We can't seem to ever get it right.
TheCobbler

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 10:00 am
@Leadfoot,
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Albert Camus

Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 10:05 am
@TheCobbler,
The condescension of religion toward women is probably at the head of the list of things I find repulsive about religion.

Don't get me wrong...one of the answers I would have to the title of this thread...is that religion offers a sense of peace, safety, and comfort to some people...and I would not deny them that peace, safety, or comfort in any way.

But the thing male religious leaders do in the name of religion to women is AN ABOMINATION.

Glad people like Carter deplore and condemn it...and find such an intelligent way to express those feelings.
TheCobbler

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 10:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
I find peace and safety in the arms of the earth and our wondrous universe...

The religious placebo effect only works so far against cancer and other life threatening disorders, then science steps in and cures most things like syphilis and the mumps...

How often is bad eyesight really cured by prayer? As Richard Dawkins (who is an agnostic) calls it "The God Delusion", I have to agree with Dawkins.
Frank Apisa

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 10:32 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

I find peace and safety in the arms of the earth and our wondrous universe...

The religious placebo effect only works so far against cancer and other life threatening disorders, then science steps in and cures most things like syphilis and the mumps...

How often is bad eyesight really cured by prayer? As Richard Dawkins (who is an agnostic) calls it "The God Delusion", I have to agree with Dawkins.

Some say that prayer can move mountains.

I say I will pit the prayers of all the ministers, priests, rabbis, imams, cardinals and the pope in an attempt to move a mountain...versus a girl scout using a tablespoon.

I'd bet the ranch that the girl scout would move more of any mountain than the prayers.

But some people do find comfort in religion, Cobbler...and I am not disposed to beat them over the head about it.

Live and let live, I say.
TheCobbler

Sat 22 Aug, 2015 08:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank I understand and respect the principle behind your sentiment towards those who derive peace from faith but...

These people get comfort and a warm feeling when they pray too.
http://intobolivian.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/picture-21.png

A beating on the heart maybe...

0 Replies

neologist

Sun 23 Aug, 2015 12:15 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Abraham, the father of many nations but only one legitimate race...
I'm not sure how you derive that.

In my case, I am pretty sure I am a descendant of Japheth; so, not of Abraham, not of Ham. I don't feel my hope for the Edenic Promise to be any more or less legitimate in that respect.

Also, you sometimes make so many partial points, like your reference to Islam in the last post, it makes it hard to figure what your point actually is.