What good does religion offer the world today?

TheCobbler

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 04:10 pm
@neologist,
"Go only unto the house of Israel..."

Jesus represented "chosen people" and we are all equally people of the earth whether if we worship one God, many or none.

neologist

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 04:24 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
"Go only unto the house of Israel..."

Jesus represented "chosen people" and we are all equally people of the earth whether if we worship one God, many or none.
Setting quotes out of context is a good way to end in obfuscation. But you do know the inclusion of gentiles was foretold many times, don't you? Even the time period was revealed in Daniel ch. 9.
TheCobbler

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 05:46 pm
@neologist,
The inclusion of gentiles who are referred to as the "unnatural branch" grafted onto the tree of "chosen people".

Does that really sound like equality to you?
neologist

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:22 pm
@TheCobbler,
Or "wild branches", of which I am grateful to be included.
So what?
Many "natural branches" were not accepted.
FBM

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:25 pm
So many angels dancing on the heads/points of so many pins...
neologist

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:29 pm
@FBM,
Wait. . .
I count four on your head alone . . .

Just pullin' yer chain FB

Say, anything new flyin' over the 38th?
FBM

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:40 pm
@neologist,
I admit to being a pinhead sometimes. Wink

Well, they swapped a few dozen artillery rounds yesterday, but today is quiet so far. I think NK's deadline for full-scale war is still about 36 hours away. I'm going to be in Seoul on Saturday. I hope they wait until I leave. Confused
FBM

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:50 pm
No, thanks.
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:51 pm
@FBM,
Stay safe.
Leadfoot

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:58 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
The devil/god made us do it? Sounds like an excuse to shift the blame. Be responsible and stop blaming deities like a sociopath (I was possessed.). Own up to your own mistakes. At least blame yourself, society, lack of privilege or your parents (something EVIDENT and real) Yes, and where is your evidence for your creator again? Smile

"We (do) hold theses truths to be self evident...."

That was quite a leap, who mentioned 'possession'? Being created with a certain nature is not 'possession'.

The evidence is in you. And only you can see it, and only if you look.
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 07:11 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Stay safe.

Gracias. I'll stay out here in the boonies as much as I can, where the targets are all low-value.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 08:34 pm
@neologist,
We are all natural branches of mother earth and to single out any "race" is well, racism...

Even dogs deserve the crumbs from the table huh Neo?

Are gentile women dogs?

Even the supposedly high and refined new testament is not ethical enough for me and it took years for me to realize that the Bible, even the new testament was not up to the standards that are "written in my heart".
neologist

Thu 20 Aug, 2015 11:29 pm
@TheCobbler,
Your reading skills are deficient. All are equal according to scripure. And there is hope for all.
TheCobbler

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 09:19 am
@neologist,
I would like to know what Bible you are reading into...

The Bible says sin is in the blood, whose blood?
Leadfoot

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 09:51 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:

Even the supposedly high and refined new testament is not ethical enough for me and it took years for me to realize that the Bible, even the new testament was not up to the standards that are "written in my heart".

I had that exact perspective at one point. But the more life I experienced the more I understood how the book was saying the same thing that was 'written in my heart,' . Sometimes there were decades between my reading of it and I'd be blown away by something that I thought was barking dog mad on first reading. Then later it was like 'Oh ****, so that's what it was saying'. I still don't get it all but its making more sense all the time rather than less.

But I have to agree that 'in the heart' is where you will find it first.
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 09:54 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
I would like to know what Bible you are reading into...

The Bible says sin is in the blood, whose blood?
Reading into?

Leviticus 17:11 says the "soul (life) is in the blood". But as far as the universality of sin, Romans 5:12 reminds us "That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned—"

Whose blood?

All of us.
neologist

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:02 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
. . . it took years for me to realize that the Bible, even the new testament was not up to the standards that are "written in my heart".
Could it be your 'standards' represent a loss of faith in Revelation 21:4?

Do you believe God has ignored your pain? Imagine how Job might have felt.
Leadfoot

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 10:17 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Leviticus 17:11 says the "soul (life) is in the blood". But as far as the universality of sin, Romans 5:12 reminds us "That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned—"

Whose blood?

All of us.

That was pretty good.
What do you think that first man's sin was?
I've come to think that sin at its root is nothing more or less than the denial of reality. The first man did so by denying the reality of what God told him about the 'tree of knowledge'. If there is no denial of reality, there is no sin.

We have all denied reality at some point so we have all sinned.
TheCobbler

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 01:34 pm
@neologist,
Neo you have blinders on, this is not a hate racist Jewish scripture moment but since you asked...

Matthew 10
5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way [places] of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Comment: Why did Jesus not think the Gentiles and Samaritans needed saving, and as you put it, "hope"? Sounds racist to me... Is hope for all?

Please answer that specific question.
TheCobbler

Fri 21 Aug, 2015 01:42 pm
@neologist,
Racism, barbarism, genocide, male chauvinism, jealousy, and let's NOT forget "Job"...

Nope these standards of the biblical god do not align with mine. ...and the pain you speak of is the penance that this vindictive god imposes upon those who are weak minded enough to fall for the charade...

There may be a God but definitely not this old and new testament one...

Mostly lies with just enough truth mixed in to hoodwink the masses of gullible guilt ridden sheeple...
0 Replies