What good does religion offer the world today?

Tobeasone

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:31 pm
What good does religion offer the world today?
How about The Second Coming of Christ!
Don't you wish there was a manual... Well here you go!
https://www.bookfinder.com/book/9780876125571/
cicerone imposter

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:57 pm
@Tobeasone,
The second coming of christ is long past and never coming.
Study science and evolution.
Planet earth is not 7000 yo, it's more like 4.5 billion years old.
Humans or homo sapiens are but 200,000 years old. We branched out from the primate family.
The story of Noah's ark gave away the fictional nature of the bible. Use a little bit of logic. There was no way Noah could have collected all the animals from around the world for his ark.
oralloy

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 10:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Quote:
The Canaanite city state system broke down during the Late Bronze Age collapse,[9] and Canaanite culture was then gradually absorbed into that of the Philistines, Phoenicians and Israelites.[10] The process was gradual[11] and a strong Egyptian presence continued into the 12th century BCE, and, while some Canaanite cities were destroyed, others continued to exist in Iron Age I.[12]

Late Bronze Age (LBA)
1550–1200 BC
1550–1400: LBA I
1400–1300: LBA II A
1300–1200: LBA II B (Bronze Age collapse)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philistines

With the exception of one error that I never would have made, that could almost have been a quote of one of my own posts.

Wikipedia is to be commended for producing an accuracy that approaches my own.

Their error of course is the inclusion of the Philistines as descendants of the Canaanites. You can tell the cultures that descended from the Canaanites by their language family.

It's a shame really. The Philistines were from the Gaza area. If there were a case to be made that the Philistines were descended from the Canaanites, I would have long since declared the Palestinians to be the descendants of the Philistines, and as such the Palestinians should all be deported back to Gaza. Alas, the facts do not allow for such a conclusion.
cicerone imposter

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:01 pm
@oralloy,
What is the source for your opinion?
Tobeasone

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 11:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Me Too!

Ayurveda! {The Science of life} Mind, body and soul medicine...

Vedantas {The Science and path to create union with our creator... }

Jyotish! {The Science of Light}

Sri Yukteswar.... The expounder of this, was a fully realized saint, A SCIENTIST... and the teacher of the most spiritual advanced saint {Paramahansa Yogananda} since the birth of Christ...

Modern Science {Which I have also studied} Is really only a few hundred years old... Is motivated by mostly money...

The older Sciences of the world are approximately 5,517 years old and have already be through the trial and error stage....Some people believe that they are way older than that... I am one of those... And at this point in time, it is accepted by the wise people of this world, that it is a product a direct perception and commune with God and from saints thousands of years ago...
It was a gift to men from God to help to alleviate their suffering...

Once the mind can recognize divine camouflage {Mythology- to get the information to the present time} and you allow yourself the luxury of losing yourself in it, the real science of life becomes obvious...
http://www.yogananda-srf.org/HowtoLive/How-to-Live_Wisdom.aspx#.WVChbmjyuyJ
Krumple

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 12:03 am
@Tobeasone,
Tobeasone wrote:

It was a gift to men from God to help to alleviate their suffering...

Theists are always quick to **** on human endeavors and accomplishments.

Now I know you didn't directly say it but you indirectly imply it with the above statement of yours as if humans are too stupid to resolve human problems without divine help. Bullshit.

Tobeasone wrote:

Once the mind can recognize divine camouflage {Mythology- to get the information to the present time} and you allow yourself the luxury of losing yourself in it, the real science of life becomes obvious...

What you call "divine camouflage", I call passing credit off to the undeserved. But you gotta give god glory right? Nonsense. I guess there has never been a human who creatively came up with a solution, then put in the hard work and practice to bring it to fruition. It was god all a long right?

Why can't people be honored by their thoughts, actions, and accomplishments of their own doing and leave then non-existent god where it should remain, in myth.
oralloy

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 04:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
The second coming of christ is long past and never coming.

What date was he supposed to have arrived?

cicerone imposter wrote:
The story of Noah's ark gave away the fictional nature of the bible. Use a little bit of logic. There was no way Noah could have collected all the animals from around the world for his ark.

That presumes that the original story involved collecting animals from all over the world.

PBS Nova had a good episode a year or two ago that made a sound case that the original Noah's Ark tale was Mesopotamian and involved very large versions of those round boats that used to ply the waters of the Tigris and Euphrates until modern boats surpassed them in cheap availability.
oralloy

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 04:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
What is the source for your opinion?

The only opinion I offered was that it was a shame that the Philistines were not descended from the Canaanites.

The source of that opinion was explained in the same post. If the Philistines were descended from the Canaanites, I would be able to use that as an argument for deporting all Palestinians to the Gaza Strip.

As that is an argument that I would dearly like to make, the fact that it is untrue is a disappointment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 12:05 pm
@oralloy,
https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-44-the-second-coming-of-jesus-christ?lang=eng

The problem with the "second coming" is the simple fact that humans evolved from primates some 200,000 years ago. That's what scientists concluded from the evidence available to them.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2011/apr/25/mitochondrial-dna-human-evolution
cicerone imposter

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 12:10 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
But you gotta give god glory right? Nonsense.

I really don't understand how christians can continue to believe in any "savior" that contradicts itself. It's my command, "thou shalt not kill." But, there's always a "but." If anyone fails to believe in me, you must stone him to death. Where's the logic? Where's the ethics? Killing is a 'crime' in most societies.

Why aren't these christians killing Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, and all different religions not based on christianity. Don't they believe in their god's words/commands? Their faith is lacking. They subjectively ignore parts they don't like. What kind of religion is that?

It's not a religion, it's fiction written by many men (no women) from 2,000 years ago.

If it was real, the religion would have been established when man first appeared. Otherwise, all those people who existed before the bible are nobodys. They don't count. They don't have a chance at paradise.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 03:12 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
The Israeli people came into being in 1948 with the creation of the state of Israel.

The existence of the Israeli people is mentioned in Egyptian records from 1200 BC.

You're confusing Israelis with Israelites. If you're referring to the Merneptah Stele it mentions Israel, not Israelites, let alone Israeli people.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
If your're referring to the absence of pig bones, the archaeological record shows different areas of the Levant lacking in pig bones, e.g. Aramaean sites. There is nothing specifically Jewish about the fact.

Nothing Jewish other than the fact that they are Jewish dietary practices.

You're merely repeating yourself. There is nothing specifically Jewish about the absence of pig bones throughout the area.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The ruins from King Saul's primitive kingdom before 1000 BC.

That is wishful interpretation of the scant archaeological record in Palestine.

The date and extent of the kingdom seem a pretty good match to where and when Saul was supposed to have ruled.

Like I said, that is a wishful interpretation of the scant archaeological record in Palestine. There are contradictory iterpretations as well.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
At least you've abandoned the claim that the records refer to a Davidic kingdom.

Have I?

It is clear that David was the first leader of Judah. And that his descendants ruled after him in a dynasty that lasted until the eventual destruction of Judah.

Early Judah was a rural area, with the main urban power being the northern kingdom of Samaria. If you mean that David was more of a rural tribal chieftain than an urban king, with Judah only taking on the characteristics of an urban kingdom much later, then I don't dispute that.

But David and his descendants were definitely the people in charge of Judah.

You take a possible, singular mention of the name David in an inscription and produce wild flights of fancy thereof.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
The ruins in Samaria do not indicate a kingdom.

How do the ruins fail to indicate a kingdom? There is ample evidence that Samaria not only was a kingdom, but was a fairly powerful kingdom that subjugated its neighbors and was a major participant in prominent battles.

You referred to the "northern Israelite Kingdom." Samaria was not the northern Israelite Kingdom. There was no northern Israelite Kingdom.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The records from the ninth century BC recording the Israelites as major participants in prominent battles and subjugating neighboring kingdoms as vassals.

The records do not refer to Israelites at all.

Only in the sense that they instead refer to the King of the Israelites by name.

They do not refer to "the King of the Israelites" at all. You're inferring what is not there.
Tobeasone

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 05:30 pm
@Krumple,
I'm sorry you feel that way, but then I have to wonder what your motivation is for being here... Everybody is a teacher, and everybody is a student... It takes wisdom to know when to be what... I was learning a lot talking to farmer man, but now that he is away, I am too old to be spinning my wheels... Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed very much talking with all of you , but my break time is over now and I must go back to my studies... Namaste!
Krumple

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 05:39 pm
@Tobeasone,
Tobeasone wrote:

I'm sorry you feel that way, but then I have to wonder what your motivation is for being here...

To give a balanced perspective. When some things are said that are unsupported but treated like they are facts, occasionally it's good to have someone around who can reveal the nonsense for nonsense.

I see people say rediculous things. Like seeing someone display their talent then some idiot says it's a god given talent they have. Completely ignoring the fact they probably spent thousands of hours practicing. As if they were just handed the gift from God. No they worked for it.

Similar thing when Rosa Parks died, Condalisa Rice said in her speech that Rosa was told by god to make her stand that day on the bus. No, this is insulting to humanity. It suggests that we don't see injustice but are needing a god to point it out to us. Why can't it simply be the fact that she used her own wisdom and stood up for her own reasoning? That is whom the credit is deserved, not some undefined mythological being.

It happens all the time. I know modesty is a good thing but there are times when the person should be recognized for their achievements instead of handing off the praise to some god. If a god really does get involved why not instead of helping Popstars win a Grammy, feed some starving children in the world?
0 Replies

Tobeasone

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 06:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hey my friend... I have enjoyed talking to you but I must go now... I did not want to leave this unclarified...

Yogananda said, “In titling this work The Second Coming of Christ, I am not referring to a literal return of Jesus to earth. He came two thousand years ago and, after imparting a universal path to God’s kingdom, was crucified and resurrected; his reappearance to the masses now is not necessary for the fulfillment of his teachings. What is necessary is for the cosmic wisdom and divine perception of Jesus to speak again through each one’s own experience and understanding of the infinite Christ Consciousness that was incarnate in Jesus. That will be his true Second Coming.

“The Miracle at Forest Lawn” ~ Yogananda’s Incorrupt Body
FEBRUARY 28, 2017 ~ YOGANANDASITE

The body of the blessed master, Paramhansa Yogananda, as it lay on his bed three days after his passing. The “phenomenal state of immutability” that manifested itself at his death appears to be God’s dramatic way of calling mankind’s attention to the soul revealing science of yoga.

The body of Paramhansa Yogananda, who died on March 7, 1952, remained “in a phenomenal state of immutability.” Mr. Harry T. Rowe, Mortuary Director of Forest Lawn Memorial-Park Association, tells “the whole amazing story” in a notarized three-page letter that is reproduced in full in this issue of Self-Realization Magazine. Extracts from the letter follow:
https://yoganandasite.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/forest-lawn-report-yogananda_mortuary_report.pdf
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 06:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
The problem with the "second coming" is the simple fact that humans evolved from primates some 200,000 years ago. That's what scientists concluded from the evidence available to them.

I don't see how that is a problem with the "second coming".
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 26 Jun, 2017 06:59 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
You're confusing Israelis with Israelites. If you're referring to the Merneptah Stele it mentions Israel, not Israelites, let alone Israeli people.

I am referring to the Merneptah Stele.

A reference to Israel is evidence of the Israeli people. Sort of like a reference to America is evidence of the existence of the American people.

Countries are composed of people. Evidence that a country existed is evidence that the people within the country also existed.

InfraBlue wrote:
You're merely repeating yourself. There is nothing specifically Jewish about the absence of pig bones throughout the area.

Nothing other than the fact that it complies with Jewish dietary practices.

I'm unsure how to respond to a flat-out denial of reality other than to again point out what reality is.

InfraBlue wrote:
Like I said, that is a wishful interpretation of the scant archaeological record in Palestine. There are contradictory iterpretations as well.

We already have evidence that the Jewish people were living in this area at the time. Evidence of a primitive kingdom at the time would therefore seem to be evidence of a primitive Jewish kingdom at the time.

What would a contrary interpretation be?

InfraBlue wrote:
You take a possible, singular mention of the name David in an inscription and produce wild flights of fancy thereof.

The inscription mentions the "House of David". That is a clear reference to a dynasty of leaders that began with a leader named David.

I think there was more than one inscription as well.

InfraBlue wrote:
You referred to the "northern Israelite Kingdom." Samaria was not the northern Israelite Kingdom. There was no northern Israelite Kingdom.

History and archaeology offer very firm evidence of the existence of the northern Israelite Kingdom, and very firm evidence that it was a fairly powerful kingdom that subjugated some of its neighbors as vassals.

InfraBlue wrote:
They do not refer to "the King of the Israelites" at all. You're inferring what is not there.

Historical records from that time mention the King of the Israelites by name as a major participant in prominent battles of the day.
oralloy

Tue 27 Jun, 2017 12:54 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

"These surveys have revealed the sudden emergence of a new culture contrasting with the Philistine and Canaanite societies existing in the Land of Israel earlier during Iron Age I.[21] This new culture is characterised by a lack of pork remains (whereas pork formed 20% of the Philistine diet in places), by an abandonment of the Philistine/Canaanite custom of having highly decorated pottery, and by the practice of circumcision."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_ancient_Israel_and_Judah

oralloy wrote:
History and archaeology offer very firm evidence of the existence of the northern Israelite Kingdom, and very firm evidence that it was a fairly powerful kingdom that subjugated some of its neighbors as vassals.

"The Tel Dan Stele, the Mesha Stele, the Black Obelisk of Shalmaneser, and direct evidence from excavations, together paint a picture of the Omride kings ruling a rich, powerful, and cosmopolitan empire, stretching from Damascus to Moab,[33]"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_Unearthed
Leadfoot

Tue 27 Jun, 2017 01:20 pm
@Tobeasone,
The reason I asked about your belief in reincarnation was because it would seem to be in contradiction with your Christian beliefs. I.e. - 'For it is given to man to die once, and then the judgement.'.

Reincarnation makes no sense to me if it is not remembered universally. Scattered examples of 4 year old kids remembering past events could be explained by any number of things other than reincarnation. Most everyone has experienced unexplained things like Daja vu, etc.

Why invent a whole new system of belief about human existence to explain something we don't understand?
camlok

Tue 27 Jun, 2017 03:49 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Why invent a whole new system of belief about human existence to explain something we don't understand?

Religion did it and new ones are born often and they understand nothing.
InfraBlue

Tue 27 Jun, 2017 11:52 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

I am referring to the Merneptah Stele.

A reference to Israel is evidence of the Israeli people. Sort of like a reference to America is evidence of the existence of the American people.

You're confused. Once again, "Israelis" are the citizens of the state of Israel. "Israelites" are an ancient people of Palestine. In the times of Merneptah they would have been "Canaanites."

oralloy wrote:
Countries are composed of people. Evidence that a country existed is evidence that the people within the country also existed.

still more confusion. In regard to Canaan, there were various peoples living in that country. Israelites were but one.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

In regard to this evidence in Palestine, there is nothing specifically Jewish about it.

oralloy wrote:
I'm unsure how to respond to a flat-out denial of reality other than to again point out what reality is.

One thing is reality. Quite another thing is your confused take on reality and your flights of fancy.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Like I said, that is a wishful interpretation of the scant archaeological record in Palestine. There are contradictory interpretations as well.

We already have evidence that the Jewish people were living in this area at the time. Evidence of a primitive kingdom at the time would therefore seem to be evidence of a primitive Jewish kingdom at the time.

Now you're jumping from debatable interpretations of archaeological evidence in regard to the legendary biblical figure of Saul to assertions that this archaeological evidence is that of a Jewish people. Like I said, flights of fancy.

oralloy wrote:
What would a contrary interpretation be?

That the archaeological evidence is that of Canaanite peoples.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Historical records from that time mention the King of the Israelites by name as a major participant in prominent battles of the day.

You're merely repeating yourself.