What good does religion offer the world today?

InfraBlue

Tue 27 Jun, 2017 11:56 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Nothing other than the fact that it complies with Jewish dietary practices.

"These surveys have revealed the sudden emergence of a new culture contrasting with the Philistine and Canaanite societies existing in the Land of Israel earlier during Iron Age I.[21] This new culture is characterised by a lack of pork remains (whereas pork formed 20% of the Philistine diet in places), by an abandonment of the Philistine/Canaanite custom of having highly decorated pottery, and by the practice of circumcision."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_ancient_Israel_and_Judah

You had said that, "the West Bank ruins from around 1200 BC showing people following Jewish dietary practices." The lack of pig remains is evidenced in the Iron Age IIB archaeological record which began around 925 BC. Even then, the lack of pig bones is evidenced in areas other than the West Bank such as Philistine areas themselves. The difference had more to do with the economics and viability of pig husbandry rather than religious "Jewish dietary practices." (cite)

oralloy wrote:
oralloy wrote:
History and archaeology offer very firm evidence of the existence of the northern Israelite Kingdom, and very firm evidence that it was a fairly powerful kingdom that subjugated some of its neighbors as vassals.

"The Tel Dan Stele, the Mesha Stele, the Black Obelisk of Shalmaneser, and direct evidence from excavations, together paint a picture of the Omride kings ruling a rich, powerful, and cosmopolitan empire, stretching from Damascus to Moab,[33]"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_Unearthed

These archaeological records refer to Omride kings of Israel, not Israelites, let alone Israelis. Remains of which can be termed "Israelite" do not appear until the 8th century BCE. (p.256)
TheCobbler

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 12:50 am
@InfraBlue,
Oralloy perhaps thinks Adam was an Israelite... Smile

DNA indicates the Israelites are actually Canaanites.

http://lawrenceschiffman.com/history-and-genetics-mesopotamia-to-canaan/

https://www.quora.com/Who-were-the-Israelites
TheCobbler

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 01:11 am
"Imagine the people who believe such things & who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides & leaders of us all; who would force their feeble & childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools & libraries & homes. I personally resent it bitterly."
Isaac Asimov (1920-1992)
American polymath
0 Replies

Krumple

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 02:44 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

http://lawrenceschiffman.com/history-and-genetics-mesopotamia-to-canaan/

https://www.quora.com/Who-were-the-Israelites

All they are, are different tribes of Jews when it comes down to it. If you know the history of how the whole thing worked out. It reveals that monotheism was not the starting point of ancient Jews. Each tribe had their own godhead. Yahweh was just one of them and the yahwehins wanted to rewrite their narritive to push Yahweh to the top. But they were brutal in their efforts. Slaughtering those who wouldn't conform.

They added to the scriptures attempting to make it seem as though it had always been that way. But they didn't catch everything. There are manuscripts that reveal missing parts or the new additions only show up in certain areas. It's clearly doctored attempts to create monotheism. The thing is, it worked. But it also points out how it's man creating god, not the other way around.

This is why the Bible clearly bashes anyone outside the Israelites. Even modern Christians haven't escaped this mentality. They bash Jews and Muslims which is ironic since christianity and judaism and Islam are all the same religion.

The followers are just ignorant of the history as to how they are connected.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 05:57 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
You're confused. Once again, "Israelis" are the citizens of the state of Israel. "Israelites" are an ancient people of Palestine.

They're the same people.

InfraBlue wrote:
In the times of Merneptah they would have been "Canaanites."

Strange then how the Merneptah Stele specifically refers to them as Israelites.

InfraBlue wrote:
still more confusion. In regard to Canaan, there were various peoples living in that country. Israelites were but one.

No confusion on my end. In the area known as the West Bank around the time of 1200 BC, there was only one group of people: The Israelites.

InfraBlue wrote:
In regard to this evidence in Palestine, there is nothing specifically Jewish about it.

Nothing other than the fact that it conforms to Jewish practices.

InfraBlue wrote:
One thing is reality. Quite another thing is your confused take on reality and your flights of fancy.

Notice how all the scientists, historians, and archaeologists agree with me and contradict you?

InfraBlue wrote:
Now you're jumping from debatable interpretations of archaeological evidence in regard to the legendary biblical figure of Saul to assertions that this archaeological evidence is that of a Jewish people. Like I said, flights of fancy.

Science, history, and archaeology, which establish quite clearly that the Jewish/Israeli culture existed in the West Bank area from 1200 BC on, is not a flight of fancy.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
What would a contrary interpretation be?

That the archaeological evidence is that of Canaanite peoples.

That's not a contrary interpretation. The Israelis were the Canaanite people of the West Bank area.

InfraBlue wrote:
You're merely repeating yourself.

You're merely insisting that science, history, and archaeology are fiction.
oralloy

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 05:58 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
You had said that, "the West Bank ruins from around 1200 BC showing people following Jewish dietary practices."

Yes.

InfraBlue wrote:
The lack of pig remains is evidenced in the Iron Age IIB archaeological record which began around 925 BC.

There were certainly people in the West Bank area following Jewish dietary practices during Iron Age IIB.

The lack of pig remains is also evidenced in the Iron Age I archaeological record, which began around 1200 BC.

InfraBlue wrote:
The difference had more to do with the economics and viability of pig husbandry rather than religious "Jewish dietary practices."

Archaeologists regard these Iron Age I settlements as being continuously settled by the same population well into the time of the later Israelite kingdoms, and thus regard the Iron Age I settlements as an early version of the same Israelite culture that created those later kingdoms.

InfraBlue wrote:

Nice link. You realize that it confirms the absence of pigs in the West Bank highlands during Iron Age I?

InfraBlue wrote:
These archaeological records refer to Omride kings of Israel, not Israelites, let alone Israelis.

The existence of very powerful northern Israelite kings in the ninth century BC, is evidence of a very powerful northern Israelite kingdom in the ninth century BC, that was filled with a large population of northern Israelite people in the ninth century BC.

InfraBlue wrote:
Remains of which can be termed "Israelite" do not appear until the 8th century BCE.

That is incorrect. Archaeologists date Israelite remains as far back as 1200 BC.

And the northern Israelite Kingdom left large and very significant remains during the ninth century BC.

InfraBlue wrote:

That article is about a single city only. If the northern Israelite Kingdom did not have a presence in that one specific city until the eighth century, that does not change the fact that the northern Israelite Kingdom had a very large presence in other places during the ninth century.

The article actually confirms the existence of the powerful northern Israelite kingdom during the ninth century. It refers to the Omride Dynasty as being at the same time as what they call "the first building period" (of that single city that they're referring to).
oralloy

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 06:00 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

You say the oddest things sometimes.

TheCobbler wrote:

Thank you for confirming that everything that I've said is correct.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 06:17 am
@camlok,
Quote:
Religion did it and new ones are born often and they understand nothing.

That is why for the most part I reject 'religion' as a source of understanding.
The main 'good' that religion offers today is an incentive for individuals to seek the truth about God. As institutions, they don't offer much in the way of understanding him.

OTOH, the unsubstantiated rejection of God truly does understand nothing.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 01:21 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
You're confused. Once again, "Israelis" are the citizens of the state of Israel. "Israelites" are an ancient people of Palestine.

They're the same people.

Heh. The Zionist founders of the state of Israel were Europeans. Later, Mizrahim immigrated to that state. This occurred during the middle of the 20th century.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

The Merneptah Stele does not make reference to "Israelites," it makes reference to "Israel" as part of the group of Canaanites within the country that Merneptah conquered.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
still more confusion. In regard to Canaan, there were various peoples living in that country. Israelites were but one.

No confusion on my end. In the area known as the West Bank around the time of 1200 BC, there was only one group of people: The Israelites.

No. Being nomadic, these people came and went among the settled groups there.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
In regard to this evidence in Palestine, there is nothing specifically Jewish about it.

That's not specifically Jewish.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
One thing is reality. Quite another thing is your confused take on reality and your flights of fancy.

Notice how all the scientists, historians, and archaeologists agree with me and contradict you?

They agree with you in your own mind. Reality is quite another thing.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Now you're jumping from debatable interpretations of archaeological evidence in regard to the legendary biblical figure of Saul to assertions that this archaeological evidence is that of a Jewish people. Like I said, flights of fancy.

Science, history, and archaeology, which establish quite clearly that the Jewish/Israeli culture existed in the West Bank area from 1200 BC on, is not a flight of fancy.

Your inferrences are flights of fancy. See my response above about your take on science, histroy and archaeology.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
What would a contrary interpretation be?

That the archaeological evidence is that of Canaanite peoples.

That's not a contrary interpretation. The Israelis were the Canaanite people of the West Bank area.

They were a Canaanite people among various others in the West Bank area.

Quote:
InfraBlue wrote:
You're merely repeating yourself.

You're merely insisting that science, history, and archaeology are fiction.

I'm pointing out that your delusional take on science, history and archaeology are wild flights of fancy.
InfraBlue

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 01:26 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
You had said that, "the West Bank ruins from around 1200 BC showing people following Jewish dietary practices."

Yes.

They weren't following Jewish dietary practices. Merely, the husbandry of pigs wasn't viable for them. Jewish dietary practices developed quite some time after that time period.

oralloy wrote:

There were certainly people in the West Bank area following Jewish dietary practices during Iron Age IIB.

Jewish dietary practices developed quite some time after this time period.

oralloy wrote:
The lack of pig remains is also evidenced in the Iron Age I archaeological record, which began around 1200 BC.

Right. There is a lack of pig bones at Canaanite and Philistine sites all over Palestine in that time. The pertinent time period is Iron Age IIB where there is an almost complete lack of pig bones in Judah which indicates the beginnings of Jewish dietary practices.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
The difference had more to do with the economics and viability of pig husbandry rather than religious "Jewish dietary practices."

Archaeologists regard these Iron Age I settlements as being continuously settled by the same population well into the time of the later Israelite kingdoms, and thus regard the Iron Age I settlements as an early version of the same Israelite culture that created those later kingdoms.

This debatable assertion is irrelevant to the fact that Jewish dietary practices developed at a later time period.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Nice link. You realize that it confirms the absence of pigs in the West Bank highlands during Iron Age I?

I've responded above to your confused reading and interpretation.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
These archaeological records refer to Omride kings of Israel, not Israelites, let alone Israelis.

The existence of very powerful northern Israelite kings in the ninth century BC, is evidence of a very powerful northern Israelite kingdom in the ninth century BC, that was filled with a large population of northern Israelite people in the ninth century BC.

InfraBlue wrote:
Remains of which can be termed "Israelite" do not appear until the 8th century BCE.

That is incorrect. Archaeologists date Israelite remains as far back as 1200 BC.

And the northern Israelite Kingdom left large and very significant remains during the ninth century BC.

You're confusing references to Israel with Israelites.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

That article is about a single city only. If the northern Israelite Kingdom did not have a presence in that one specific city until the eighth century, that does not change the fact that the northern Israelite Kingdom had a very large presence in other places during the ninth century.

The article actually confirms the existence of the powerful northern Israelite kingdom during the ninth century. It refers to the Omride Dynasty as being at the same time as what they call "the first building period" (of that single city that they're referring to).

The article confirms the fact that distinctly "Israelite" remains begin to appear until the 8th century BCE. Again, you're confusing references to Israel with Israelites and worse, Israelis.
oralloy

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 05:24 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

They're the same people.

Heh. The Zionist founders of the state of Israel were Europeans. Later, Mizrahim immigrated to that state. This occurred during the middle of the 20th century.

They're still the same people.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

The Merneptah Stele does not make reference to "Israelites," it makes reference to "Israel" as part of the group of Canaanites within the country that Merneptah conquered.

Same thing.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Archaeology shows that the Israelites were the settled group of the West Bank area.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

If non-Jews chose to engage in Jewish practices, that was their choice I guess.

InfraBlue wrote:

No, the consensus of scientists, historians, and archaeologists agrees with me in reality.

You may not like what science has to say about the matter, but it is silly for you to deny science.

InfraBlue wrote:
Your inferrences are flights of fancy.

I am not making inferences. I am relaying the consensus of the world's scientists, archaeologists, and historians. And that consensus is not a flight of fancy.

InfraBlue wrote:
See my response above about your take on science, histroy and archaeology.

Your denials of science, history, and archaeology do not invalidate the findings of the scientists.

InfraBlue wrote:

Archaeology shows that the Israelites populated and controlled the entire West Bank area.

InfraBlue wrote:
I'm pointing out that your delusional take on science, history and archaeology are wild flights of fancy.

No, you are simply denying what the scientists say.
oralloy

Wed 28 Jun, 2017 05:25 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
They weren't following Jewish dietary practices. Merely, the husbandry of pigs wasn't viable for them. Jewish dietary practices developed quite some time after that time period.

If the absence of pigs started first as a practical matter and then developed later as a religious custom, that is certainly an interesting part of the development of their religion. But it doesn't change the fact that the Israeli people populated the West Bank region starting around 1200 BC, and they can be identified as not eating any pigs at the time.

Although that Finkelstein article that you linked does show that the non-pig thing was ultimately more of a Judah thing than a northern Israelite thing.

InfraBlue wrote:
Right. There is a lack of pig bones at Canaanite and Philistine sites all over Palestine in that time. The pertinent time period is Iron Age IIB where there is an almost complete lack of pig bones in Judah which indicates the beginnings of Jewish dietary practices.

Since the point was about the population of 1200 BC, the pertinent time period would seem to be Iron Age I.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

This debatable assertion is irrelevant to the fact that Jewish dietary practices developed at a later time period.

That "debatable" assertion is the consensus of the world's archaeologists.

InfraBlue wrote:

There is no confusion on my end.

I am not interpreting anything. I am merely relaying the consensus of the world's scientists.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Archaeologists date Israelite remains as far back as 1200 BC.

It doesn't matter since they are the same people regardless.

But no confusion on my end. The term "Israelite" is the term used to refer to the ancient Iron Age culture. Especially when it refers to the powerful northern kingdom, which specifically referred to themselves as "Israelites".

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The article confirms the fact that distinctly "Israelite" remains begin to appear until the 8th century BCE.

No it doesn't (and that is anything but a fact).

When that article talks about remains starting in the 8th century BC, it is referring only to remains within one single city on the far outskirts of the northern Israelite Kingdom.

That article also makes a direct reference to the Israelites existing as a powerful kingdom in the early ninth century BC.
Olivier5

Thu 29 Jun, 2017 07:54 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
the Israeli people populated the West Bank region starting around 1200 BC, and they can be identified as not eating any pigs at the time.

I think animals are less narrow-minded than we are. For instance, a pig wouldn't mind eating an Israelite...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 29 Jun, 2017 10:05 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

They're the same people.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Same thing.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Archaeology shows that the Israelites were the settled group of the West Bank area.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

If non-Jews chose to engage in Jewish practices, that was their choice I guess.

Your guess is irrelevant to the fallaciousness of your assertions.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

No, the consensus of scientists, historians, and archaeologists agrees with me in reality.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:
You may not like what science has to say about the matter, but it is silly for you to deny science.

What I deny are your flights of reality-detached fancy.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
Your inferrences are flights of fancy.

I am not making inferences. I am relaying the consensus of the world's scientists, archaeologists, and historians. And that consensus is not a flight of fancy.

This assertion of yours is a flight of fancy.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
See my response above about your take on science, histroy and archaeology.

Your denials of science, history, and archaeology do not invalidate the findings of the scientists.

I don't deny science, history, and archaeology. I deny your flights of fancy.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Archaeology shows that the Israelites populated and controlled the entire West Bank area.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

No, you are simply denying what the scientists say.

No. I'm denying what you say.
InfraBlue

Thu 29 Jun, 2017 10:09 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

If the absence of pigs started first as a practical matter and then developed later as a religious custom, that is certainly an interesting part of the development of their religion. But it doesn't change the fact that the Israeli people populated the West Bank region starting around 1200 BC, and they can be identified as not eating any pigs at the time.

Although that Finkelstein article that you linked does show that the non-pig thing was ultimately more of a Judah thing than a northern Israelite thing.

Right. The point is, however, that the practice wasn't due to Jewish dietary custom. That came about much later.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Since the point was about the population of 1200 BC, the pertinent time period would seem to be Iron Age I.

There weren't Jewish dietary customs concerning pigs in Iron Age I.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

That "debatable" assertion is the consensus of the world's archaeologists.

Perhaps it's a consensus among politically motivated Zionist archaeologists, but certainly not "the world's archaeologists."

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

There is no confusion on my end.

Uh-huh.

oralloy wrote:
I am not interpreting anything.

Uh-huh.

oralloy wrote:
I am merely relaying the consensus of the world's scientists.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Archaeologists date Israelite remains as far back as 1200 BC.

It doesn't matter since they are the same people regardless.

Nuh-uh.

oralloy wrote:
But no confusion on my end.

Uh-huh.

oralloy wrote:
The term "Israelite" is the term used to refer to the ancient Iron Age culture.

According to George Athas, not at that time period.

oralloy wrote:
Especially when it refers to the powerful northern kingdom, which specifically referred to themselves as "Israelites".

Where do you get that assertion from?

oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The article confirms the fact that distinctly "Israelite" remains begin to appear until the 8th century BCE.

No it doesn't (and that is anything but a fact).

Yes it does. It's a fact as far as most of the research in this area can be considered "fact."

oralloy wrote:
When that article talks about remains starting in the 8th century BC, it is referring only to remains within one single city on the far outskirts of the northern Israelite Kingdom.

George Athas differentiates the Omride Dynasty, which you equate with the Israelites, from 8th century BC remains that are distinctly Israelite. Athas is not in agreement with you.

oralloy wrote:
That article also makes a direct reference to the Israelites existing as a powerful kingdom in the early ninth century BC.

Where does it say that?
InfraBlue

Thu 29 Jun, 2017 12:15 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Your assertions about Israelite kingdoms existing in the 9th century are attested to by the archaeology. I was mistaking that time period with the 12th century BCE.

My apologies.
oralloy

Fri 30 Jun, 2017 12:25 am
@InfraBlue,
I'll try to separate out and focus on the parts we still disagree about in my reply.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 30 Jun, 2017 12:26 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
"Israelis" are the citizens of the state of Israel. "Israelites" are an ancient people of Palestine.

They're the same people.

Nuh-uh.

The modern day Israelis are the descendants of the Iron Age Israelites.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Nuh-uh.

Archaeology shows that the settlements from Iron Age I remained continuously occupied by the same culture throughout the following centuries, and thus were the ancestors of the Israelite kingdoms later in the Iron Age.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Nuh-uh.

There is no archaeological evidence of any Iron Age kingdoms in the West Bank area other than Judah and the Northern Israelite kingdom.

And the settlers of the West Bank area in Iron Age I have been archaeologically identified as the same culture that formed these later kingdoms.
oralloy

Fri 30 Jun, 2017 12:28 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Right. The point is, however, that the practice wasn't due to Jewish dietary custom. That came about much later.

Ultimately the point is whether the people of the West Bank in 1200 BC were ancestral to the Iron Age Israelites (and by extension ancestral to modern-day Israelis). If they abandoned pigs out of practicality and that only later became a religious tradition, that doesn't change the fact that they were the ancestral Israelites and this was the beginnings of their avoidance of pork.
TheCobbler

Sat 1 Jul, 2017 09:01 pm
@oralloy,
Oralloy, you act as if the Israelites somehow magically appeared out of nowhere in some garden somewhere and are not actually part of the human race. Smile

No one is debating they existed but they are simply another color in the fabric of a vast array of humanity.

"One god" was not a new concept either.