What good does religion offer the world today?

reasoning logic

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 02:32 pm
@Tobeasone,
Quote:
Interesting! ...but not really sure I see your point... But then again you missed mine!

Is it a belief that you held about me missing your point?

I think that your point was intended to share with the viewer that your circumstance could be used to better your well being given the hand that was dealt to you. I do agree that people can better themselves by their misfortunes but do you think that there could be some misfortunes that are to extreme to think that the hand of a loving God involved?
Tobeasone

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 05:38 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I'm sure you may find it challenging to handle two women at once but if you try you might be surprised. Shocked
I am not sure of your motive for showing me this but yes! Too answer to your next question, because you would think that these two girls would shock me or something...
Quote:
Is it a belief that you held about me missing your point?
You act like I have never seen or thought about suffering... So yes again! ...Points have been missed...

Quote:
I think that your point was intended to share with the viewer that your circumstance could be used to better your well being given the hand that was dealt to you. I do agree that people can better themselves by their misfortunes but do you think that there could be some misfortunes that are to extreme to think that the hand of a loving God involved?
It depends on what you mean by "The hand of a loving God involved?" Did God make nature? Yes! ... If you or your ancestors oppose it, you will suffer? Yes!... Is there Karma?... It has been proven to me... Reincarnation? Yep! It's been all but been scientifically proven... People dictate their own karma... God just set the rules of nature... If you fly too close to the Sun you're going to get burned... Go the other way and you'll freeze to death... Until man learns that there is a balance in life/God and or the universe and fly in the goldilocks zone is where peace is, then he will suffer... God doesn't dictate the severity or length of your lessons, the individual does...
InfraBlue

Mon 19 Jun, 2017 06:58 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

The records of the Israeli people as a distinct culture dated to 1200 BC.

The Israeli people came into being in 1948 with the creation of the state of Israel.

oralloy wrote:
The West Bank ruins from around 1200 BC showing people following Jewish dietary practices.

If your're referring to the absence of pig bones, the archaeological record shows different areas of the Levant lacking in pig bones, e.g. Aramaean sites. There is nothing specifically Jewish about the fact.

oralloy wrote:
The ruins from King Saul's primitive kingdom before 1000 BC.

That is wishful interpretation of the scant archaeological record in Palestine.

oralloy wrote:
The records from the ninth century BC showing the House of David as an existing dynasty.

At least you've abandoned the claim that the records refer to a Davidic kingdom.

oralloy wrote:
The ruins of the northern Israelite Kingdom and southern kingdom of Judah.

The ruins in Samaria do not indicate a kingdom. The ruins in Judah do.

oralloy wrote:
The records from the ninth century BC recording the Israelites as major participants in prominent battles and subjugating neighboring kingdoms as vassals.

The records do not refer to Israelites at all.
TheCobbler

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 12:48 am
All religion is like a gun, it takes an evil person to shoot it in violence, but it can also be used for protection if used with love... TC
TheCobbler

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 01:34 am
4000 years later and we are back to the same language
https://www.facebook.com/OldtimersPage/videos/466651813679410/
Tobeasone

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 06:48 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
All religion is like a gun, it takes an evil person to shoot it in violence, but it can also be used for protection if used with love... TC...

I really like this, since I am a religious man who also owns guns... I know, I know it looks like a huge contradiction... But I won't clarify it here, that's not what this thread is about...
0 Replies

Tobeasone

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 08:49 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
4000 years later and we are back to the same language

Boy that's funny! I have always said that words are a poor substitute for an accurate communication... and let's face it, a picture IS worth a 1000 words!

This forum type of communication is even worse... You really don't know who you're talking to... To find an even exchange of information is hard to fine... It's not that I think I'm smarter than everybody else... Hell! ...I'm highly dyslexic my God! ...It just that I see comradery in almost all the forums, but so far has eluded me... But at least I have not been trash here like I was on another forum... They hazed me pretty bad or good {depending what side of the fence you're on} to see if I was worthy... They were right... I couldn't drop to their vulgar level so I had to leave...

While were dancing around it, I've been wondering what people outside the US think about American slang... I never realized how much I use until I started forurm-ing... Ha ha... Spell check doesn't like my new word... In conversing with people from other countries I am only getting a little slang... Like one guy calls me mate...

FYI If you want an interesting read on language check this out!
https://www.scribd.com/doc/31774203/NASA-Sanskrit-Report
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 02:22 pm
@Tobeasone,
Quote:
Reincarnation? Yep! It's been all but been scientifically proven...

What do you base this on?
Tobeasone

Tue 20 Jun, 2017 09:21 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
What do you base this on?

I was kind of hoping that no one caught that... It's a long story... I don't like it someone tells me something that I can't verify myself and here I am going to do it to you! ...Please for give me, but I never thought I would be in this position, so I never keep track of where I read what... I will try to give you the Readers digest version... Like I said I was born with a strong desire to know the truth... I can't really take credit for it unless I set this up before I was born... Don't know and can't prove that either... Also like I said I have stuck my nose into most of the religions of the world and I don't remember where I read it... I think it was about 40 some odd years ago and the word "immortality" was in the title... But anyway it was an account of one child after another who could remember their past lives when they were very young... They would describe how they died with detailed accuracy...

There was this one in particular case where this four year old girl would say to her mother, that she fell off the roof and die in a small town that was a fair drive from where they were... The parents listened to this little girl tell this story over and over again until the parents desided to check it out... They drove to the house that the little girl pointed out and talk to the present occupants and it was the mother of her in previous life and confirmed indeed her daughter had fallen off the roof... If you do the research you will find tons of caes like this one...

I have a theory tho.. I thought how can children remember their past lives and I can't... A 3 and 4 year old child has no responsibility... She hasn't pushed her natural instincts back into dormancy as of yet... Her mind isn't oscillating from past, present, and future... She doesn't know much about right or wrong or big and small, and good and bad ... She hasn't learned the art of judging yet... She is like the little bird that flies halfway around the world without a compass or a map to reproduce ... The bird doesn't recognized the world of opposites and neither does the little girl... She sits on the sidewalk for hours watch this line of ants... She sits in amazement how strong they are... How organized and dedicated to their work... They are like cars on the freeway except their all in the same lane and going in different directions... She sits in amazement why don't they run into each other... This little girl may not know it but she in touch with god and is meditating with her amazement... Many of saints got there by contemplating nature...

I believe that people do what I call "Instinctive meditations" That's those times when you're driving down the freeway and you realize that your mind has been blank for the last few miles and really don't know where you were... If you analyze it you were probably wrestling with a problem right before your mind took a break... The answer to you problem usually shows up in your mind in the near future... How do you think the answer got there?...

Like I said it has all but been scientifically proven... It has been proven to me but I can't prove it for you... I wish I could... People experience past lives in regression therapy... Past life regression is a technique that uses hypnosis to recover what practitioners believe are memories of past lives or incarnations, though others regard them as fantasies or delusions or a type of confabulation, I believe they're real.... How else can you explain that one child is born handicapped and another is a child prodigy?
TheCobbler

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 10:05 am
A Refrigerator Started The London Fire, Police Say
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/refrigerator-started-london-fire_us_594d11c3e4b0da2c731afa97?jm7&ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009
izzythepush

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 10:42 am
@TheCobbler,
That's not why it spread, and it doesn't make your original post about the fire any less exploitative and insulting. The fridge freezer would have been owned by the tenant, not the landlord, that was not their responsibility, the cladding which spread the fire was.

Quote:
The Grenfell Tower fire in London started in a fridge-freezer, and outside cladding and insulation failed safety tests, police say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40380584

Your attitude towards the victims is still ghoulish to say the least.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 04:59 pm
@Tobeasone,
Quote:
God doesn't dictate the severity or length of your lessons, the individual does...

How do you know what God thinks?
TheCobbler

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 05:09 pm
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/19390872_10209008116992438_9158996403594950731_o.jpg?oh=d6900f3e961533a5faeb16a8e2409771&oe=59E4D66A
reasoning logic

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 05:29 pm
@TheCobbler,
That is cool! Cool

Have you ever seen pool dancers for Jesus?

Texas Christians have found a new way to please there husbands and Jesus.

0 Replies

Tobeasone

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 05:58 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
How do you know what God thinks?

How do you know God thinks?... outside of man's own head... God does not think outside of man's own head... That's like saying that God needs to follow a line of reasoning... When you have all the answers you just are!

I got two conversations going and I would like to link them... but God's not tell me how... Haha...
Quote:
Don't tell me there's no proof for evolution

reasoning logic

Fri 23 Jun, 2017 09:09 pm
@Tobeasone,
Quote:
When you have all the answers you just are!

Is that similar to having high traits of OCPD or the right stuff?

0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 24 Jun, 2017 04:14 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
The Israeli people came into being in 1948 with the creation of the state of Israel.

The existence of the Israeli people is mentioned in Egyptian records from 1200 BC.

InfraBlue wrote:
If your're referring to the absence of pig bones, the archaeological record shows different areas of the Levant lacking in pig bones, e.g. Aramaean sites. There is nothing specifically Jewish about the fact.

Nothing Jewish other than the fact that they are Jewish dietary practices.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The ruins from King Saul's primitive kingdom before 1000 BC.

That is wishful interpretation of the scant archaeological record in Palestine.

The date and extent of the kingdom seem a pretty good match to where and when Saul was supposed to have ruled.

InfraBlue wrote:
At least you've abandoned the claim that the records refer to a Davidic kingdom.

Have I?

It is clear that David was the first leader of Judah. And that his descendants ruled after him in a dynasty that lasted until the eventual destruction of Judah.

Early Judah was a rural area, with the main urban power being the northern kingdom of Samaria. If you mean that David was more of a rural tribal chieftain than an urban king, with Judah only taking on the characteristics of an urban kingdom much later, then I don't dispute that.

But David and his descendants were definitely the people in charge of Judah.

InfraBlue wrote:
The ruins in Samaria do not indicate a kingdom.

How do the ruins fail to indicate a kingdom? There is ample evidence that Samaria not only was a kingdom, but was a fairly powerful kingdom that subjugated its neighbors and was a major participant in prominent battles.

InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The records from the ninth century BC recording the Israelites as major participants in prominent battles and subjugating neighboring kingdoms as vassals.

The records do not refer to Israelites at all.

Only in the sense that they instead refer to the King of the Israelites by name.
cicerone imposter

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 03:24 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The Canaanite city state system broke down during the Late Bronze Age collapse,[9] and Canaanite culture was then gradually absorbed into that of the Philistines, Phoenicians and Israelites.[10] The process was gradual[11] and a strong Egyptian presence continued into the 12th century BCE, and, while some Canaanite cities were destroyed, others continued to exist in Iron Age I.[12]

Late Bronze Age (LBA)
1550–1200 BC
1550–1400: LBA I
1400–1300: LBA II A
1300–1200: LBA II B (Bronze Age collapse)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philistines
Tobeasone

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 06:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
http://www.ananda.ru/Calendar/Diagram-from-Holy-Science-of-Swami-Sri-Yukteshwar-Giri.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/67/Yugas-Ages-based-on-Sri-Yukteswar.png/800px-Yugas-Ages-based-on-Sri-Yukteswar.png
Yuga theory....
Sri Yukteswar’s introduction to The Holy Science includes his explanation of the Yuga Cycle which differs from the traditional position because of his premise that the earth is now in the age of Dwapara Yuga, not the Kali Yuga that most Indian pundits believe to be the current age.[4] His theory is based on the idea that the sun “takes some star for its dual and revolves round it in about 24,000 years of our earth – a celestial phenomenon which causes the backward movement of the equinoctial points around the zodiac.”[1] The common explanation for this celestial phenomenon is precession, the ‘wobbling’ rotating movement of the earth axis. Research into Sri Yukteswar’s explanation is being conducted by the Binary Research Institute.

He further states that:
The sun also has another motion by which it revolves round a grand center called Vishnu-Naabhi which is the seat of the creative power Brahma, the universal magnetism. Brahma regulates Dharma the mental virtues of the internal world. When the sun in its revolution round its dual come to the place nearest to this grand center the seat of Brahma, the center of the milky! (an event which takes place when the autumnal equinox comes to the first point of Aries) Dharma the mental virtue becomes so much developed that man can easily comprehend all, even the mysteries of Spirit.[1]

In The Holy Science, Sri Yukteswar concludes that we are currently in the beginning stages of Dwapara Yuga, which began around 1699 A.D., moving closer to the grand center, and will pass into Treta Yuga around the year 4099 A.D.[1]

If we represent the Yugas in a clock, the lowest spiritual time would be at 6 o'clock, approx. year 550 A.D., which is the center of Kali Yuga (more or less the Middle Ages), and the highest point is 12 o'clock, in the center of Satya Yuga (literally Age of Truth, as sat=truth), or Golden Age. It takes approx. 12,000 years from the lowest to the highest point, and about 24,000 in a complete turn. Now we would be at approx. 7 c'clock, ascending in Dwapara Yuga or Bronze Age which started in 1699.

The 4 spiritual ages or yugas: satya, treta, dwapára y kali
[Note: The graphic to the right displays the Zodiac symbols in its inner circle based on their alignment with the Northern Hemisphere AUTUMNAL Equinox, NOT the Vernal Equinox. This is because the Great Year/Yuga Cycle commences when the Autumnal Equinox is aligned with the First Point of the Constellation Aries as stated above (ref "The Holy Science" by Sri Yukteswar). Hence they may appear to be rotated 180 degrees to those who normally use the Northern Hemisphere VERNAL Equinox as their reference point for the Zodiac 'Ages']
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_Science#Yuga_theory
cicerone imposter

Sun 25 Jun, 2017 08:47 pm
@Tobeasone,
I rely on science to learn about my environment.