Have you actually read the letter?

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 02:40 pm
The response I have seen on here to the letter written by the 47 Senators is interesting.
What I am wondering is have any of you actually read the letter?
After all, if you had you would agree that it was an informative letter only.
If you havent read the letter, here it is...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1683798/the-letter-senate-republicans-addressed-to-the.pdf

All the letter does, in my view, is inform Iran about how our govt works.
To see for yourself what power the Senate has regarding treaties, Article II, Section 2, Clause 2 of the United States Constitution

While I do agree that sending the letter was a very dumb idea, there was nothing treasonous about it at all.
For those who dont know, treason is the only crime defined in the constitution.
It can be found in Article 3, Section 3.
Here is what it says...

Quote:
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

So by definition, there was no treason involved in writing that letter.

Now, was it factual?
Lets see what the experts say...
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/mar/11/tom-cotton/letter-iran-47-republican-senators-correct-about-c/

Quote:
The independent experts we spoke to said the Republican senators’ letter was generally correct, but also was something

of an oversimplification.

Quote:
But while there’s support for the senators’ claims, most of our experts added that the letter oversimplified the matters at hand.

Politifact lists the experts they spoke with also, which is why I trust their info to be correct.

Quote:
Our ruling

The letter written by Cotton said that if Obama strikes a nuclear deal with Iran, "the next president could revoke such an executive agreement with the stroke of a pen and future Congresses could modify the terms of the agreement at any time."

We found broad agreement among experts that a future president or a future Congress could indeed undo or modify the kind of agreement that’s currently being negotiated with Iran, but the senators’ letter makes the process sound more clear cut and easier than it actually is.

The statement is accurate but needs additional information, so we rate it Mostly True.

As for it being a violation of the Logan Act, we have to know what the act says...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Act

I dont see the letter as a violation, but I do agree that it was a stupid idea and should never have been written.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 2,802 • Replies: 50

View best answer, chosen by mysteryman
maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 03:01 pm
@mysteryman,
Yes, I read the letter. And, I just read it again (since you so kindly posted it).

You are correct that it is not "Constitutional Treason" (i.e. treason as defined by the Constitution). It comes close to the dictionary definition of treason, by undermining a foreign policy initiative of the US government.

No one is asking for a legal prosecution of the Senators involved (at least as far as I have heard). So, the legal definition of treason doesn't apply.

Exacting a steep political price for undermining of the sitting president in a matter of foreign policy if justified (in my opinion). This is the likely outcome. I don't think the term "borderline treasonous" is inappropriate in the political arena.

These Senators should be made to pay politically for their stupid, political stunt that was designed make international diplomacy, something the Constitution puts squarely in the executive branch, more difficult.

The phrase "borderline treason", meaning "betrayal of the US government operating according to the responsibilities set forth in the Constitution to act on our behalf" is an appropriate way to express to the American voters the gravity of what this Republican led Congress is doing.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 03:03 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
While I do agree that sending the letter was a very dumb idea

Why was it....and no.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 03:07 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The phrase "borderline treason", meaning "betrayal of the US government operating according to the responsibilities set forth in the Constitution to act on our behalf" is an appropriate way to express to the American voters the gravity of what this Republican led Congress is doing.
They will not, and if the people decide that Obama has been making promises that he had no right to make because he does not have the power to deliver them then it will be Obama who gets the blame. This is not finished yet.
0 Replies

ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 03:11 pm
@mysteryman,
I think undermining your current president on the international stage was incredibly stupid, with possible consequences for your entire country.

(yes, I'd read it before)

Giving the idiots a pass on this? nope.

I hope that the signers all get blasted in their next campaigns.

Gotta love that John McCain said it was signed because of fear of a snowstorm.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/mccain-rand-paul-roll-out-new-excuses-sabotage-letter
mysteryman

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 03:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:

No one is asking for a legal prosecution of the Senators involved (at least as far as I have heard). So, the legal definition of treason doesn't apply.

Go to the WhiteHouse.gov website and you will see several petitions, asking that the 47 be charged.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions

Quote:
Exacting a steep political price for undermining of the sitting president in a matter of foreign policy if justified (in my opinion).

I agree
maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 03:14 pm
@mysteryman,
Those petitions are just silly. Let me change my original statement to "No one with any brains is asking for a legal prosecution..."

0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 03:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

I am not saying to give them a pass, I am saying that they did nothing criminal or treasonous.

Quote:
I hope that the signers all get blasted in their next campaigns.

I agree, but it must come from the voters, nowhere else.
George

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 04:23 pm
Thanks for this posting MM.
I can now say that I have actually read the letter.
It isn't treason by any reasonable definition of the term.

I must say, though, that I simply cannot believe they would write this.
We are are talking nuclear power in Iran.
Iran.
Iran!
Ir-*******-ran!
Jeez.

If these negotiations go well (not that I am especially optimistic), it could
be huge.
Why would you send a letter saying -- in essence -- "we're just gonna tear
any agreement up as soon as this guy is out of office"?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 04:28 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:

I am not saying to give them a pass, I am saying that they did nothing criminal or treasonous.

I'm saying it is potentially worse than criminal or treasonous.

Seriously.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 04:40 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll politely say it was futzing with presidential/executive rights.

Imploding possible settling of differences.

Treason? I'm no lawyer, but it smells rather like it.

At the least, it was an adolescent maneuver like Netanyahu - the guy we pay for - made.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 04:41 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I think undermining your current president on the international stage

The international stage for Obama looks like a comedy club to other world leaders. And even though laughter is in short supply in Iran, you can hear it all over the world.

This president has weakened this country defensively and diplomatically. The redline is still another joke that the leaders in the Middle East will never forget. And Obama knows what Islam is and is capable of, but has decided to rewrite history.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 04:47 pm
We used to have a thing where we will squabble at home but to the world we would present a united front. It was agreed, people put a lot of effort into making it happen. That died years ago, and both parties were equally active in killing that program. We are weaker now because of it, this is another instance of how the Washington crowd refusing to do their jobs well hurts us.

But I dont have the energy to develop much anger for what the R's did here, pretty much nothing that Obama has tried to do globally has worked, there was not much chance that anything was ever going to come from his efforts with Iran either. In case anyone has not been paying attention as we have been departing the middle east Iran has been stepping up and filling the vacuum, they are winning. And there is no reason to think that the moderates are gaining any ground inside of Iran, a hard liner just unexpected got put in a powerful chair just a couple of days ago.

Obama working with Iran is like Nixon working with China? What a crock! And besides, China is not working out so well, either for getting Western ideas into China nor for the global community. China was supposed to see that doing what we liked got them rewards, and then they were supposed to adopt the Western ways. They took the candy and then insisted that we need to adapt to their ways, because they are the next single global superpower. It is not at all clear that Nixon was right.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 04:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
That died years ago, and both parties were equally active in killing that program.

No, both parties were not equally active in killing that program.

The Democrats in Congress pretty much supported Bush in his foreign policy in the run up to Iraq, the coalition of the willing and the Patriot Act. There was nothing comparable where members of Congress went beyond their Constitutional duties to undermine the president.

This all started when Obama was elected president. Since then the Republicans in Congress have been undermining the presidency. No Congress in history has acted this way.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 04:57 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This all started when Obama was elected president

Bullshit, the D's were talking smack about Bush to world leaders years before that. "oh you are so right that he is an idiot cowboy, when our party takes over we will fix that for you! We love you baby!"
coldjoint

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 04:59 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
No Congress in history has acted this way.

Take a look at Andrew Johnsons congress.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 05:10 pm
Quote:
The president is the commander-in-chief of the US armed forces. He’s not commander-in-chief of the United States. He’s not even commander-in-chief of US foreign policy.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/tom-cotton-and-mutiny/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+OTB+%28Outside+The+Beltway+|+OTB%29
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 05:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Bullshit, the D's were talking smack about Bush to world leaders years before that.

We aren't taking about "talking smack". We are talking about directly undermining a presidential initiative involving foreign politics. And we are not talking about pundits or rank and file Democrats. We are talking about US Senators (who are supposed to act with decorum).

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 06:08 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
US Senators (who are supposed to act with decorum).

the Senate sure ain't what it used to be. Both the D's and the R's have been actively working for years to do away Senate Comity. What we have now is the very predictable result.

Till now almost no one has cared. Dozens of good people have left complaining that it is almost impossible to get anything done because the culture of the place is bad, this started happening 20 years ago, and nothing changes. The people never demanded better.

Dont blame the R's for one act, that is a cop out, both the D's and the R's have committed thousands of acts which have lead to this, and we were silent as they did them.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 06:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
It is very easy to say that they are equally to blame. But they are not.

This happened when the Republicans veered way to the right and started taking (as they themselves put it) a "Hell No!", obstructionist attitude.

If you want the system to change, then you have to make the people who refuse to compromise pay. If you make both parties pay in a two party system, then neither of them pay (since there is no alternative).

Saying that the Republicans and Democrats are equally to blame, when the Republicans have by far done the most damage to the system of compromise rewards the extremist behavior.

The Republicans have done most of the damage. If we want this to change so that we have a system where both parties compromise for the good of the country, we need to punish (at the ballot box) the people who are causing the damage.

If the moderates among the American people stop voting for Republicans until they decide to compromise, along with the Democrats, to best govern the country, then the Republican behavior will change... rather quickly... and we can get back to working together.