O'Reilly: Iraqi people are "primitive," "prehistoric group"

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 01:42 am
I was unable to confirm the accuracy of this quote because I'm not a premium member of O'Reilly's site. ---BBB

http://mediamatters.org/
Media Matters
O'Reilly: Iraqi people are "primitive," "prehistoric group"

Radio host and FOX News Channel host Bill O'Reilly told listeners that he has "no respect for" the Iraqi people; that he thinks "they're a prehistoric group"; that they are "primitive"; and that the lesson from the Iraq war is that "we cannot intervene in the Muslim world ever again. What we can do is bomb the living daylights out of them." His remarks on the June 17 broadcast of The Radio Factor came during a discussion of a recent poll -- commissioned by the Coalition Provisional Authority and obtained by the Associated Press -- that found that only 2 percent of Iraqis view U.S. troops as liberators and 55 percent would feel safer if U.S. troops left the country immediately.

From the June 17 broadcast of The Radio Factor with Bill O'Reilly:

O'REILLY: Because look ... when 2 percent of the population feels that you're doing them a favor, just forget it, you're not going to win. You're not going to win. And I don't have any respect by and large for the Iraqi people at all. I have no respect for them. I think that they're a prehistoric group that is -- yeah, there's excuses.

Sure, they're terrorized, they've never known freedom, all of that. There's excuses. I understand. But I don't have to respect them because you know when you have Americans dying trying to you know institute some kind of democracy there, and 2 percent of the people appreciate it, you know, it's time to -- time to wise up.

And this teaches us a big lesson, that we cannot intervene in the Muslim world ever again. What we can do is bomb the living daylights out of them, just like we did in the Balkans. Just as we did in the Balkans. Bomb the living daylights out of them. But no more ground troops, no more hearts and minds, ain't going to work.

[...]

They're just people who are primitive.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,690 • Replies: 38
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 06:02 am
Damn those British, Dont they realize that we are bombing them so we can liberate them?--overheard in Der FuehrerBunker in 1940
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 06:50 am
Thats something I think he'd probably say among his friends when he's not on the air, but he can't be so stupid as to say something like that on his broadcast... ?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:11 am
Someone might remind O'Reilly that Iraq is the place were civilization was invented. And that the ancestors of the present Iraqi's were living in literate, complex, urban societies while his ancestors were still running around in the bush, bare a** and painted blue.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:58 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Someone might remind O'Reilly that Iraq is the place were civilization was invented. And that the ancestors of the present Iraqi's were living in literate, complex, urban societies while his ancestors were still running around in the bush, bare a** and painted blue.

Yes, but his ancestors civilization evolved. Iraq is still in the same pre-historic state is was then.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:12 pm
Acquiunk wrote:

Why? What possible bearing does that have on his comments?

Where would you rather be right now - Dublin or Baghdad?

Where would you rather have been before the war - Dublin or Baghdad?

That civilization was invented in the Middle East only makes the region's current status that much more ironic and tragic, but it does illustrate that nothing is permanent in this world.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:31 pm
Oreillys grasp of history is just about that of Limbaughs, and his skills as a military tactitian parallel most of the warhawks in the GOP and the DEMS who are just getting a major hard-on to drop the "big one' somewhere. It doesnt really matter where , they just wanna use it and anybody who disagrees with em are a pack of traitors.
Why didnt this d-bag think about this before he started thumping his tub for a major Iraqi invasion. Doesnt he sort of come off looking like a complete jerk?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:51 pm
farmerman wrote:
Oreillys grasp of history is just about that of Limbaughs, and his skills as a military tactitian parallel most of the warhawks in the GOP and the DEMS who are just getting a major hard-on to drop the "big one' somewhere. It doesnt really matter where , they just wanna use it and anybody who disagrees with em are a pack of traitors.
Why didnt this d-bag think about this before he started thumping his tub for a major Iraqi invasion. Doesnt he sort of come off looking like a complete jerk?

Is this simply because you don't agree with him? Or just don't like him?
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 12:18 am
Must be the beekeepers outfits and the bird sounds they make when they run away.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 05:32 am
McGentrix wrote:
Iraq is still in the same pre-historic state is was then.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 05:34 am
McG, Obviously i disagree with his POSITION on the war. In his above post hhowever, he is merely verbalizing a sense of deep frustration that nothin hqs worked out as they originally planned. Cant you read the frustration? whose fault is that?
As I say, from reading his post, he now comes off like a totally frustrated disillusioned jerk.
We havent done anything to lessen the influence of terrorists, weve actually emboldened them and have managed to spread it around nicely.
"we cant intervene with the Muslim world ever again, all we can do is bomb the crap out of them'---If that isnt the height of disillusioned frustration, Ill buy you a nice pack of tofu.
Oreilly is one of those "rent-a-partisans" whose loyalty can be modified as his ratings suffer. I loved it when little Al Franken took him apart on "Book TV" and exposed him for the lying situational ethics weasel he is. Oreilly, to me is a real dangerous one because his doctrines are dashed out and ill conceived and hes more of a populist than rush. Rush, at least tries to weave some doctinaire logic into his positions. Hes consistant, for that I , at least have to respect his opinion.( Its just that Rush forgets where the real world begins) Oreilly is a media whore. not much to say , so he chooses format over substance. Otherwise, why the hell would this thread even be news?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:08 am
Bill isn't very bright and he's poorly educated (evidence his misunderstanding of what the term 'prehistory' actually means). What comes out of his mouth is commonly marked by those deficiencies - over-simplification, incorrect facts, etc. He doesn't, I'm sure, want to be a buffoon or to appear stupid, but I suspect he knows he's in danger of both and does the angry, shouting, 'shut up! thing to try and convince us and him that he really is smart and wise.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:57 am
Yes, we should bomb the hell out of those Iraqi cave people, especially when we know they are limited in fighting back. The U.S. can't be as certain about Syria or Iran, so why doesn't Mr. O'Reilly personally bomb them?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 11:11 am
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Iraq is still in the same pre-historic state is was then.

Rolling Eyes

Like the adirondacks apparently. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 11:17 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 11:35 am
:wink:
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 11:36 am
Well it does have like.... "3,000 ponds and lakes", according to www.adirondacks.org .... fascinating...
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 11:36 am
:wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 01:26 pm
One good prejudice deserves another. I bet I can find places in the U.S. that are just as "primitive" as compared to the size of Iraq. O'Reilly's semantics are as twisted as his facade.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 01:31 pm
And Dublin? Dublin? They're likely all too drunk to know what age they belong to. Any more stereotypes we can have fun with? Very Happy
0 Replies