How to advance my writing skill?

oristarA

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:48 am
Joe Nation wrote:

I used to use a tape recorder to take notes. Then I started using it while I described a scene, (try it yourself folks, see what it's like to be the radio-news announcer, or live from news chopper seven for four or five minutes, see how hard it is to keep making sense.) Rolling Eyes Cool Razz Mad Rolling Eyes

Is your "news chopper seven" like "news chopper 12", on call 24 hours a day?

I smelt out that the number seven is a pun, just didn't know what it meant.

I also didn't get why you used "from". Live from? Why not "live in" the chopper that is capable to grab any breaking news everywhere?
0 Replies

Ibn kumuna

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 04:15 pm
Most people believe I have eloquent style in my writing. However, I've noticed that my grammer is at a low ebb. Does anyone know of some thorough books that I can read during my college break to bolster my grammer?

Thanks

--Ibn
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 04:20 pm
Ibn_kumuna wrote:
Most people believe I have eloquent style in my writing. However, I've noticed that my grammer is at a low ebb. Does anyone know of some thorough books that I can read during my college break to bolster my grammer?

Thanks

--Ibn

Go for anything your public library offers ya.
In case you wanna buy one of those overprized books, I suggest you give amazon.com a try. Just look up "grammar" or something and look for the best rated one (with the highest possible number of users having rated it).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:19 pm
Oristar, News chopper seven refers to Channel 7. And "live from" means that he's reporting live (as opposed to on tape) FROM wherever he is.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:38 pm
Letty et al: I wanted to clear something up. I am not now, nor have I have ever been, a newsman. I once was the technical director for KTUL-TV 8 News in Tulsa, Oklahoma, meaning that I called the camera shots for the broadcasts, so I have known many reporters and seen what their worklife is like. That is where I got the idea of using a tape recorder to make notes for my writing. I am a writer, to that I do confess, but not of news, my writing is more about moments in time and opportunities, lost and found.

Joe
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:04 pm
Joe, my dear. It doesn't matter what or who you were or have been. We all just enjoy your writing, your interpretation, and wish that you would try your hand at poetry. There is within you, and all of us, a need to express, and in the expression, we may find the illusive blue bird. Who in the world made that avian a symbol, anyway?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:18 am
Thanks Roberta.

Joe, that is so cool being a writer. I'm glad to hear that.

Letty, do you mind with me to guess Joe is a writer in the US/UK/Canada/Australia etc.? Very Happy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:02 pm
Embarrassed The city is New York City.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:07 pm
The Elements of Style, by Strunk and White is still a pivotal book. I would suggest buying it. It's not even a long read, it's under 100 pages.
0 Replies