Rubbing rum on your babies gums...

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:42 pm
I have heard that RUM works better for teething children then numzit? Anyone tried this?
What I hear is that you dip a swab into rum then rub it directly on your babies gums and it numbs thier gums more then numzit and actually wards off germs in the mouth.....
sounds like it makes sence to me...
just not sure how I feel about rum?

> or sharing my alcohol < Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 13,750 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Miller

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:43 pm
Re: Rubbing rum on your babies gums...
shewolfnm wrote:
I have heard that RUM works better for teething children then numzit? Anyone tried this?
What I hear is that you dip a swab into rum then rub it directly on your babies gums and it numbs thier gums more then numzit and actually wards off germs in the mouth.....
sounds like it makes sence to me...
just not sure how I feel about rum?

> or sharing my alcohol < Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I heard some time ago, that it was whiskey, not rum. Confused
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:44 pm
the commercially available baby gum soother stuff they sell here is as strong as double-proof rum (my mind's blanking on the brand name)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:53 pm
I heard that too.. whiskey , JD, any brand of alcohol really. Im not sure how i feel about using alcohol.. but I know alcohol is a cleanser and a reallllly good one. I can see where it would help keep babies gums clean....
just.. not sure how I feel about it.. ?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:57 pm
I'd avoid it, if I were you.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:58 pm
I also thought that "oil of clove" was used. Again, I'd avoid that, too.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:03 pm
I would never use clove oil. I still cant believe that it was ever thought to be ok. So was gasoline at one time. If diluted gasoline was supposed to 'cleanse' a babies raw gums.
>whew<
Im glad i didnt live then! hehe
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:06 pm
The other name for "oil of clove" is eugenol.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:08 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I would never use clove oil. I still cant believe that it was ever thought to be ok. So was gasoline at one time. If diluted gasoline was supposed to 'cleanse' a babies raw gums.
>whew<
Im glad i didnt live then! hehe

I can remember when kerosene was used on kids to kill head lice. Once, a person was sitting in a bathtub, that contained kerosene ( to kill pubic lice) and unfortunately lighted up a cig. Not a good idea, to put it mildly. I think the person died from the resultant fire in the tub.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:10 pm
Oh my god. Sad part of some of this is that these things were ok merely 30-40 years ago. Not long at ALL.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:14 pm
I just looked up a couple of the products on the market - 40 proof or benzocaine. I think a little rum or whiskey is safer. Though popsicles and frozen washcloths seem more sensible all round.

Since most of the nursing mothers I know have been told to make sure they have at least one dark beer a day, I don't think a little booze on the gums will be too dangerous.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:36 pm
Frozen washcloths seem to work great.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:43 pm
They sell teething rings with water in them that can be put in the refrigerator or in ice water. That worked for us.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 08:57 pm
There has to be a difference between the alcohol being ingested by the mother and excreted in the milk vs. just put straight on there, though. And they're TOLD to have one dark beer a DAY? Strange. Not what anyone is told here, at all, dunno which one is right.

I had some of the tooth numbing stuff which I am also blanking on for my daughter, it didn't work nearly as well as a teether meant to be kept in the fridge -- the cold is very soothing. That's what friends of mine who had teething babies have said, too -- something to gnaw on, especially cold, is more effective than a numbing agent.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 08:59 pm
(Missed littlek's and bromeliad's posts! What they said.)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:40 am
I have a teething ring that stays in the fridge. She loves it . But she is only 3 mos old.. teething FAR too soon and she doesnt quite grasp the concept of chewing to relieve pressure yet.
I am thinking that alcohol MAY be a way to go for her simply because I dont want her to have tooth decay problems later on in life and on the tip of a swab there isnt enough alcohol to ever hit her little liver. She wont have enough to make her swallow. The chemical agents in numbing medicine are scary... and I know that when i was young I had an allergic reaction to that stuff. am wondering if that is genetic??? God I hope not.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 03:35 pm
sozobe wrote:
There has to be a difference between the alcohol being ingested by the mother and excreted in the milk vs. just put straight on there, though. And they're TOLD to have one dark beer a DAY? Strange. Not what anyone is told here, at all, dunno which one is right.

At the best birthing hospital in town, they actually provide Guinness to the nursing mums for the day/s they're in after delivery. It's considered strengthening for the mum and baby. They just started doing it about 10-12 years ago. Apparently there's good research on it, but i've never bothered to look into it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 04:22 pm
they also offer alcohol to the laboring mother to help increase blood flow to her muscles, relax her and stimulate endorphines.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 05:38 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
they also offer alcohol to the laboring mother to help increase blood flow to her muscles, relax her and stimulate endorphines.

In Texas?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 06:41 pm
RUBBING RUM >>>
since i came across the word "beer" in the thread, i couldn't help looking at the entries made. i think i can provide a bit of information re. nursing mothers and beer. dark beer was also called "ammen-bier" in germany when i was growing up - i don't know if it still is called ammen-bier. "amme" is the german word for a "wet-nurse"; so, loosely translated it was beer recommended for wetnurses . it was - and still is - believed that dark beer gives nursing mothers, and in turn their babies, strength. there are actual several medical refences about the nourishing aspects of beer in the german google sites. i'm giving you a link to one of the german sites; you may not want to decipher the text, but i think you might enjoy the beautiful picture at the end of the article showing the picture of a beautiful woman getting ready to enjoy "ein bier" - enjoy - PROSIT ! hbg >>> AMMEN-BIER
0 Replies