Which UK Political Party Do I Support?

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 05:06 pm
I believe that people should be encouraged to drive for personal success, and that whatever they earn shouldn't be taken away from them. The government should offer us opportunities to become successful, but other than that should not interfere - our actions and beliefs determine our outcome.

I believe that education (in all forms) should be completely free - this could be the perfect way in which the government offers us opportunities to succeed. It's unfair on those who don't have the finances to pay for education (for whatever reasoning) to be forced out of educative opportunities.

I don't believe that we should improve our military, however, I can accept that in the worlds current state and situation, we should be able to defend ourselves from those who may disagree with our beliefs.

I believe that we should neither encourage or prevent immigration, as there are benefits and drawbacks to the situation. We should encourage a country-born society, but we should also accept that we live in a multi-cultured world where people can get along and go to different places to live better lives.

I believe that free healthcare is an important benefit to this country that we should strive to keep, despite it's current raising concerns.

I don't have much of an opinion on the environment, but I do believe that it should be protected to some degree.

I believe that the UK should not secede from Europe - I believe such a move would be counter-productive to our development, as the Union is there to unite countries in an attempt to promote harmony between the countries involved. In a life as seemingly scary as this, we need more allies than anything else.

I believe that public services will only be used if they are good, so there should be a fine balance between government and community funding.

I'll be voting for the first time next year and I'd like to make the right vote based on my own beliefs. I'm not asking to start a debate, I'm just a little confused as to where I stand politically.

What UK party, if any, would you say I support?

Any help is much appreciated!

View best answer, chosen by DannyLad252
RABEL222

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 08:00 pm
@DannyLad252,
Which one makes the rich richer is the one you support.
Kolyo
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 11:02 am
@DannyLad252,
DannyLad252 wrote:

I believe that people should be encouraged to drive for personal success, and that whatever they earn shouldn't be taken away from them.

^^^
Tory position.

DannyLad252 wrote:

I believe that free healthcare is an important benefit to this country that we should strive to keep, despite it's current raising concerns.

^^^
Labour position.

------------------

Your views are in conflict with one another. You can't have free healthcare without taxing people.

Tax money funds your free healthcare. Your government takes money from people who have a lot of it, and uses it to keep healthcare free for everyone. Do you agree with that? If you do, I would say "vote Labour".
DannyLad252

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 04:55 am
@Kolyo,
If there is somehow a fine balance in taxes so that they're only low enough to support essential public services, thereby allowing people to keep as much of what they earn as possible, I'd believe in that?

If not, I'd have to say that I believe that free healthcare, education and all that are the most important policy I'd believe in, so I would vote Labour.
0 Replies

DannyLad252

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 04:56 am
@RABEL222,
That'd be the Conservatives (Tories) - Thanks!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 05:24 am
@DannyLad252,
Lotta "believing" going on here, Danny.

Maybe you ought to rethink the implications of what you "believe."

For instance:

Quote:
I believe that people should be encouraged to drive for personal success, and that whatever they earn shouldn't be taken away from them.

Okay…taken to its logical conclusion, where does that lead?

We all realize a certain segment of our population is born more fortunate in that regard than others. Differences in intelligence and physical capabilities, for instance; those smart enough to be born to successful parents…parents who instill drive and love of success for another.

These people will succeed…and will get the jobs that earn the big money…and invest that money in ways that will generate more money…and the accumulation of wealth will increase exponentially.

Here in the US, using that portion of the philosophy you claim you have, estimates are that a fraction of the wealthiest 1% of people own more of the wealth of our country than the bottom 40%...and some indicators show that estimate to be very conservative. In any case, the gap seems to be widening.

At some point…the top one-tenth of one percent will own more of the wealth than the bottom 90%...and it is not a far stretch to follow that to the point where 10 people will own more of the wealth than all the rest of the people.

You can see that advocacy for the position you favor…can be a rather slippery slope.

Anyway...I think you already know the answer to your question. The question essentially is a sham. No one who could write what you wrote would not know the answer.

So now the question is: Where were you going with the question?

DannyLad252

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 05:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks Frank - Am I right in thinking that what you're essentially saying is that it's unfair on the majority of the population when there are people who earn/are born into such vast wealth? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

And no, sorry, I don't know the answer to my question - Could you please elaborate how you've came to that conclusion?

I'm not going anywhere with the question - I'm hoping for a positive result which can help me decide on my political stance, nothing else.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 05:55 am
@DannyLad252,
If I were you…I would take that element (whatever they earn shouldn't be taken away from them) out of the calculation of which party to support. No matter how reasonable it may look superficially, It is the paving on the pathway to chaos.

You folk are luckier than we. You have many parties…we have just two who have a chance of governing. But even your minor parties will lead to one of the major parties heading the government.

You also are luckier in that your conservatives are not as bat-**** crazy as ours. I actually had someone here so in love with the “whatever they earn shouldn't be taken away from them” that he was okay with the notion of 10 people eventually owning 99% of all the wealth.

Anyway, using that element as part of your guide stick, I’d say the better way to conceive of it would be to ask yourself, “Do I think it a good idea for England to return to the kind of wealth distribution of the 11th through the early 20th centuries” (which actually is where “whatever they earn shouldn't be taken away from them” leads)…or do I think that to be a “not wanted” thing?

If you answer is “no” (which it should be)…my guess is to support Labour or one of the minor parties most likely to align with Labour to form a government would be your best bet.

I envy you folk more than you could imagine, Danny, because with every increase in strength of OUR conservative political faction…we head further down the toilet. Don’t be part of a faction encouraging your country to make the same mistake.
DannyLad252

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 06:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thank you, Frank, that's great advice and very solid points!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 10:04 am
@DannyLad252,
DannyLad252 wrote:

I believe that education (in all forms) should be completely free -

So you believe in free education and the NHS, but don't believe in taxation. You'll be disappointed whoever gets in.

Vote Liberal Democrat, they've got a track record of making promises and then breaking them within seconds of getting elected. That way you know you'll be disappointed.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 10:46 am
The more succesful you are the better - as you will pay more taxes.
In Sweden 14% of the taxes goes to health
13% to education and 3% to defence and 41% for social help, which also includes your pension one day.
Then there are police and prisons cost
Roads and streets cost
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 04:54 pm
Seriously, read the manifestos, or at least the abridged forms of the major parties. Then consider the seat you're in, is it what could be considered a safe seat for one party or the other? Some people vote tactically supporting the party that is most likely to oust Labour or the Conservatives. The Lib Dems have traditionally been the beneficiaries of protest votes, not so likely now, not after entering a coalition with the Tories.

At the end of the day either Ed Miliband or David Cameron will be prime minister. One may look a bit like Wallace, but he was state educated and understands what ordinary people go through. He will safeguard the NHS and increase the minimum wage and he's more likely to use direct taxation on wages and other income rather than indirect taxes on purchases. The other one is an Eton toff, and he'll look after his pals in the city. The rich will certainly be better off under him, the rest of us probably not so much.

0 Replies

benloy25

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2015 06:01 am
It was very difficult to deciding that which are the best work doing in this year , I will recommended to Select those one which kept her promises completed that .
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2015 06:07 am
@benloy25,
Instead of making recommendations you should be learning to write coherently. I have no idea what you're trying to say.
0 Replies