awkward sentence

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 07:36 am
The following sentences have been taken from a grammar book. I failed to realize the meaning of last part of last sentence. Other sentences have been mentioned to realize the last sentence properly.

"I discovered the overalls. When I was ladling out the chowder." The fragment is easy to see. The second "sentence" is merely a dependent clause of the first sentence. The word When makes the clause dependent on something outside itself, so the word group "When I was ladling out the chowder" does not meet the definition proposed in the discussion just preceding this rule.

What is meant with "just preceding this rule"? How "just preceding this rule" is related to the other parts of the last sentence? How to determine this relation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 516 • Replies: 2
No top replies

McTag

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 08:31 am
@Nousher Ahmed,

Quote:
...does not meet the definition proposed in the discussion just preceding this rule.

The "discussion" referred to must mean the grammar notes in the book. probably just preceding this example.

The phrase "When I was ladling out the chowder" is not a complete sentence, and so should not start with a capital letter. The complete sentence is " I discovered the overalls when I was ladling out the chowder."
McTag

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 04:53 am
@McTag,

So why were the overalls in the chowder?
0 Replies