the meaning of "Where are you from"?

Nat093

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 02:18 pm
This expression is very common in the English textbooks, but answers sometimes differ.
So what is the exact meaning of it? We are asking about a country/city?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,909 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 02:32 pm
@Nat093,
It does not have an exact meaning. It is part of a discourse (exchange of sentences). It could be asking for country, or city, or commercial company, or organization.
As is often the case, the meaning of single sentences out of context can be potentially unclear.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 02:48 pm
I was just vacationing in a place where 90% of the people were also on vacation, so that question was heard often. It may be used as a conversation opener.

I have also asked "What is your cultural heritage?" if I want to know more about a person, not necessarily where they live now, but what their ancestry is. This is usually to get information about a health issue.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 02:53 pm
@Nat093,
I don't really know. If someone asks, I usually tell them where I currently live. Often, they will then say they want to know where I am from "originally", which usually means my place of birth.

It's an ambiguous question, and the English language is just full of them.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 09:50 pm
When someone asks me that question, I usually answer with another question: "Do you mean originally, recently or just now?"
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 05:55 am
OK, I see. So If I was raised and still live in a village called Iwonicz, I can say either "I'm from Iwonicz or "I live in Iwonicz", right?
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 08:47 am
@Nat093,
Yep.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 09:06 am
@Nat093,
Context.

You need context to be able to answer the question.

Sometimes you have to ask the person asking for clarification.

For example, you might be at an out-of-country business meeting and someone asks where you're from. They might be trying to find out what company you're with, what country you're from, or what city you're from.

You need context and clarification.
Nat093

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 01:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes, I can see your point Smile In school I was taught that "Where are you from" means "What country are you from", but I've recently noticed that in some English grammar books where you've got a short dialogue between two people and one of them asks another "Where are you from, the other replies "I'm from Leeds" (not "I'm from England") and that is why I was a bit confused.
0 Replies