Anyone hear like blues?

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 11:10 am
@layman,
I "hear" like them night time or foggy days!
0 Replies

layman

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 12:19 pm
Ray Charles, Jerry Lee, and Fats all on the same stage at one time. What more could ya want, I ask ya/

0 Replies

layman

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 04:55 pm
0 Replies

layman

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 06:01 pm
"I aint lazy, I'm just tired." (Lazy Lester)

0 Replies

layman

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 06:09 pm
Here's another tune from Lester and his swamp harp, live and still rockin in his 60's. You can hear strains of country, cajun, and boogie in this blues tune.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 06:26 pm
just got a new computer andit uses bing as a browser, and boy was it hard to get it to post that video of Paul and Annie, a great largely acoustic blues duo with az repertoire of great 30s and 40s blues tune. Ithink that was originalluy a Charlie Patton song. Really like the 3os urban blues women, especially Ma /rainey, but couldn't find any of her really great songs online, didn't really like the ones I could find so much. Kouis /Armstrong played in her backing band on a lot of her cuts.
layman

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 07:01 pm
@MontereyJack,
You're quite right, Charlie Patton did that tune in 1929. So did a lot of other bluesmen, well, mostly women, including Sophie Tucker, Ethel Waters, Ella Fitzgerald, and Cab Calloway

layman

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 07:02 pm
Another Patton tune, also from 1929. Some have called this the first rock and roll song.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 6 Mar, 2017 01:12 am
@layman,
I'll be damned, I heard Paul and 'annie doing that close to 20 years ago, had no idea it had been covered by so many people so long before that. Always ioved the song,
layman

Mon 6 Mar, 2017 11:17 pm
@MontereyJack,
Thinkin back to those hard times, the WPA, which many people saw as an instrument of salvation, wasn't a positive benefit for everyone, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Fri 10 Mar, 2017 05:46 am
Howse bout a little Leadbelly, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Fri 10 Mar, 2017 06:27 am
Some early JB Hutto from the 50's, eh?

You can get it from a farmer...
You can get it from a Jersey cow....
Or you can get your pet cream from me....
Lil Girl, if you only know how.....

0 Replies

layman

Fri 10 Mar, 2017 06:59 am
Hound Dog Taylor was born with 6 fingers on each hand (well, 5 fingers and one thumb, ya know). One night he got drunk and cut one off with a butcher's knive while sitting at his kitchen table.

Hound Dog slides some slide in the Elmore James tradition.

0 Replies

layman

Fri 10 Mar, 2017 07:05 am
George

Fri 10 Mar, 2017 10:39 am
@layman,
In a similar vein

George Thorogood -- The Sky is Crying
MontereyJack

Fri 10 Mar, 2017 02:24 pm
Ah ha, finally found one of the great Ma Rainey tracks, from the first generation of great blues singers to come along after the invention of the phonograph; all her predecessors are lost to history because the tech wasn't there (and because of racial bias against the salability of black music

layman

Sat 11 Mar, 2017 05:01 am
@George,
Elmore James originally wrote and recorded that tune, and Throrogood is basically duplicating Elmore's efforts. Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and many others have also covered it, including Hound Dog himself.

His licks in "Wild about you, Baby" are strictly Elmore James standards.

Elmore is THE MAN.

Thorogood has covered dozens of blues tunes, including quite a few by Elmore. He has a knack for choosing great tunes to cover, blues and other genres, from early rock and roll to country, as well.

0 Replies

layman

Sat 11 Mar, 2017 05:09 am
@MontereyJack,
Ma Rainy is great, I agree. I would call this particular tune "jazz," not really blues, but it's good.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 01:05 am
This tune was done at a recording session in 1954, in Canton, Mississippi, for Elmore James' album entitled "Blue after Midnight." Elmore's vocals get off to a false start, so then the band just plays through the choruses without the lyrics. Hence the name of the tune ("Canton, Mississppi Breakdown").

A nice groove. Ike Turner plays rhythm guitar (not piano) on this number.

0 Replies

layman

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 11:03 am
Muddy Waters singin the "Delta Anthem" in Robert Johnson style:

0 Replies