Anyone hear like blues?

layman

Wed 15 Mar, 2017 04:18 am
Speaking of good ole Robert....

0 Replies

layman

Wed 15 Mar, 2017 10:26 am
Bo Diddley, doin a live version of one of his classic blues tunes, "Little Girl," although this clip is incomplete,

Bo was probably the first blueman to put female guitar players up front in his band, years ago. He was still doin it, decades later.

Same tune in the complete studio version, with harp and piano, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:53 pm
Bo havin himself a little fun with a tune back in the late 50's:

0 Replies

layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:52 am
The Stones covering an old Little Walter blues tune:

0 Replies

hightor

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:27 am
0 Replies

layman

Fri 24 Mar, 2017 06:35 pm
A typical Jimmy Reed tune, from 1954. The way it starts out, you think he's trying to convince his woman to stay. But he aint.

0 Replies

layman

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 12:12 am
The Killer doin a classic Jimmy Reed tune.

0 Replies

layman

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 12:21 am
Fats, Ray Charles, and the Killer, all on stage together, performing a Hank Williams tune for a live crowd. What more could ya want, I ask ya?

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 12:38 am
apropos of this thread, I recently changed my phone ringtone after I discovered that it has quite a credible blues harp one. If you run Android, you might want to poke around and see if your phone offers it.. Nothing like blues harmonica coming out of your front pocket driving home <caution, do not phone and drive simultaneously, especially not when it's sleeting and slippery>
0 Replies

layman

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 12:41 am
Sam Chatmon, in his eighties, doin a tune he wrote and recorded with his brothers (the great "Mississippi Sheiks) back in the '20's. This song has been covered by everybody and his brother, since that time.

0 Replies

layman

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 09:38 pm
One of Buster Brown's many classic tunes. Perhaps his best known is "Fannie Mae," which was re-popularized by the movie "American Graffitti." This tune has the same basic riff. Fleetwood Mac (and others) covered this tune, "Dr. Brown."

0 Replies

layman

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 09:47 pm
Another tune from the Buster, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 11:17 pm
Speakin of Fleetwood Mac, there was a time, before the women came along and ruined the group, when they did some good blues.

Here they are, combining Buster Brown riffs with Elmore James riffs to cover an old Sonny Boy Williamson (the first, i.e., John Lee Williamson) tune:

0 Replies

layman

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 11:46 pm
Fleetwood Mac covered a ton of Elmore James tunes.

Here's a 1953 instrumental by Elmore, when blues starting morphing into an offshoot they called "Rock and Roll." Elmore was right there, sho nuff. This is called "Toolbag Boogie" on some releases, "Country Boogie" on others. Whatever you call it, it's a precursor to early rock and roll.

0 Replies

layman

Sun 2 Apr, 2017 12:04 am
Elmore makes me think of his cousin, Homesick James, who taught Elmore a lot. Elmore died of a heart attack in 1963 in Homesick's living room--they couldn't find his heart medicine. Elmore wrote this song, which was also covered by Fleetwood Mac, called "Got to Move." This version is live, mainly instrumental, and Homesick doesn't come in with the vocals until late in the song.

0 Replies

hightor

Sun 2 Apr, 2017 05:45 am
layman

Sun 2 Apr, 2017 06:15 am
@hightor,
A tune first recorded by Texas bluesman, Larry Davis, back in the mid-50's, eh, Hi? You can tell that both Stevie Ray's cover and the one you posted are very faithful to the original.

For whatever reason, the song never appealed to me much, whoever did it. Just not my favorite style of blues, I guess--the Albert King style, that is.

That said, I think Davis' original version is more powerful and evocative than the covers.

0 Replies

layman

Sun 2 Apr, 2017 06:19 am
A blind Willie McTell song that the Allman Bros. later covered and sold a lot of records with:

Ya can reach over in the corner, Mama and hand me my travellin shoes....
Well, you can tell by that, I got them old Statesboro blues.

hightor

Sun 2 Apr, 2017 06:35 am
@layman,
Quote:
...them old Statesboro blues.

Back in the day we played this tune every Saturday night all summer long at the old Legion Hall. You'd see three generations of families all entering the ramshackle building with their brown paper bags full of beer boxes, finding themselves a seat at one of the grimy tables in a fog of cigarette smoke, and before we shut down there'd be at least one fistfight and one broken marriage.

We used to play this one a lot, too:

You'd probably prefer the original version:

0 Replies

layman

Mon 3 Apr, 2017 02:00 am
Bout time for some more Snooks, eh?

0 Replies