Basketball dream team

koolplay

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2003 07:27 am
Big Yao is a talent full of potentiality.let's wait...
i hope Yao's match with O'neal.it is the real giant antagonism.yeah......,that's an interesting and stirring moment that makes everybody's blood boiling.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:13 am
Last year towards year end the refs started calling the Shaq for his blatant "power elbows" to the head. I hope they continue that trend this year, becoming even more "aware" of his physical abuses!

I am really impressed with Yao's "fair" play. Hopefully, this style will rub off. It makes basketball so much more fun to watch.
0 Replies

koolplay

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:17 am
Shaq is a terrible guy that boasts his two strong elbows.maybe his huge and powerful body bomb is his deadly weapon to win every opponents.
Yao i think should do more physical exercises to strengthen his muscles.because the big block of muscles is necessary to exist in the competitive and fierce NBA.
i think every NBA spectators want to watch the games with the really body antagonism and wisdom
competition.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 10:57 am
koolplay wrote:
Shaq is a terrible guy that boasts his two strong elbows.maybe his huge and powerful body bomb is his deadly weapon to win every opponents.

Damn, I wish I'd said that, kool. Razz

In 1992, when I was living in Florida and Shaq was still with the Magic (in fact, if I am not mistaken, it was his rookie season) I went to see the Rockets play them in Orlando Coliseum.

A classic Dream-Shaq matchup did not happen; Hakeem stayed outside, floating around from the top to the bottom of the lane and only posting up once or twice. Shaq was effectively finessed by Olajuwon, who was rising to the top of his game at that time.

A few years later they played for the title, and Dream got the better of Shaq then, too.

To me Shaq's huge and powerful butt is as deadly for opponents as his elbows. His body broke down on him a good bit last season; he put off the toe surgery and, when he did rejoin the team, was overweight. He reportedly has a personal trainer and intends to show up in November fit, strong, and hungry to reclaim the Lakers' title. If he does (and if Kobe Bryant doesn't have to go to prison for rape), then the Lakers stand out as a force...again.

Let's hope the body bomb is a dud. :wink:

There's another thread in A2K entitled "Shaq, Yao, and Race" that covers the brouhaha that erupted last year when Shaq mocked Yao by using a contrived English-spoken-with-an-Asian-accent.

Yao handled the episode with class and grace.

So not only is Yao more skilled than Shaq, he's a better person as well.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 11:03 am
PD wrote:
So not only is Yao more skilled than Shaq, he's a better person as well.

Damn, wish I had said that, cool! Laughing
0 Replies

koolplay

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:11 pm
today's NBA has been well known by Chinese people mainly because of Yao's presence.but as for me,NBA games have been keeping company with me for nearly one-tenth of a century.
as the first year when Shaq just entered NBA,my attention was still focused on MJ and his team Chicago Bulls.with the years passing by,Shaq has gradually come to my eyes not only because of his muscular body(when he was just a cookie player,he wasn't as strong as today's),but Shaq's change into Lakers' as well.
Yao i think inherits a lot Chinese traditional virtues.he is much more modest and courteous,what's more he is full of wisdom which can be recognized when interviewed by media,even facing the mockery by others,Yao can treat it easily just considering it as a joke.
now Yao and Shaq are present in contemporary NBA world,Yao most of people think represents the wisdom while Shaq is the symbol of strength,which i think will make the NBA more versatile.both the two huge guys will show their ability to give people all over the world an excellent show.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 08:52 am
I was in Houston in the middle-late 80's. I had season tickets under the goal, 10 rows up during the Ralph Sampson/Akeem Olajuwon years. Akeem was like Yao and brought dignity to the NBA. It was great being that close - hearing the grunts, groans and action up close and personal!
0 Replies

Eminem8

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 06:00 pm
Dream Team
ummm heres MY dream team

Michael Jordan
Elgin Baylor
Julius Erving
Darryl Dawkins
and...Magic Johnson
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 06:17 pm
Chocolate Thunder at the 1.

Not quite my first choice (maybe my tenth) but certainly wins the award for best nickname and most violent slam (that one where the backboard exploded).
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 11:39 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Who makes the roster of your basketball dream team?
followed a tag... just seeing this... tough Q!

i guess i'd have to go with:
C bill russell
F karl malone
F larry bird
G john stockton
G michael jordan

doesn't seem right leaving magic off the list, but i got no place to put him...
jespah

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 05:12 pm
@Region Philbis,
6th man!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:27 pm
How about an all-non-American team?

C - Arvydas Sabonis. Bill Walton says in his prime he might have been the best bastketball player ever. 7'3", could shoot the 3, a passing wizard, and apparently could run and jump before his knees went. Scary.
PF - Hakeem Olajuwon. Okay, so he was a center. But he could play the 4 with Sabonis, especially since Sabonis was primarily a high-post guy and Hakeem was quick enough to defend any of the frontcourt positions...
SF - Manu Ginobili. Even though he irritates me.
SG - Sarunas Marciulonis. I watched him play a bit. Don't know if he was better than Drazen Petrovic or not...
PG - Steve Nash. I mean, who else would it be? Tony Parker?

Damn good lineup, I think.

Honorable mention to Tim Duncan, who's from the US Virgin Islands, and Vlade Divac, who paved the road for Euro players in the NBA in so many ways and was funny as hell.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:32 pm
@patiodog,
Detlef Schrempf and Toni Kukoc (6th man) deserve to be on that list.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:38 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Ooh, this looks fun.

This is not my All-Time Dream Team, but rather my Dream Team On This Particular Day, Subject To Change Tomorrow:

C David Robinson
G Pete Maravich
G Michael Jordan
F Kevin McHale
F Scottie Pippin
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 06:52 pm
I think you're the first one to mention Pistol Pete. Don't think anyone's brought up Walt "Clyde" Frazier yet, either. Course, his recent shilling for Just-For-Men might take him off the board...
Shapeless

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:20 am
@patiodog,
It was gonna be either Pistol Pete or Joe Dumars. I couldn't decide if I wanted ball-handling or defense to complement Michael; in the end I went with ball-handling.

Funny you should mention Walt "Clyde" Frazier--at first I was gonna make things easier for myself by pairing my Dream Frontcourt with my Dream Backcourt and was gonna go with Frazier's teammates (Reed, Bradley, and DeBusschere) for the former. They eventually lost out to Parish, Bird, and McHale. The Dream Backcourt was Dumars and Thomas.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:48 am
Listening, but not ready re stats.

Think Walt Hazzard re dribblers..
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:42 am
C Hakeem Olajuwon
G Jerry West
G George Gervin
F John Havlicek
F Karl Malone
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 05:38 pm
@Shapeless,
Dream backcourt, dream frontcourts. Hmmmm....

Clyde and Earl the Pearl Monroe wouldn't be a bad dream backcourt, actually, since I put Frazier on the table. (Damn, that was a good Knicks team.)

How about Stockton and Hornacek as a dream backcourt? Horny was a vastly underrated 2-guard on the offensive end. Defense a bit suspect, though.

Magic/Byron Scott was a damn fine combo that I watched a lot. And Terry Porter/Clyde Drexler. And Tim Hardaway/Mitch Richmond.

As to frontcourts....
It really is hard to go against Bird/McHale/Parish. Any two of them paired with Kurt Rambis would probably compete for honors...
Shapeless

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:59 pm
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:
As to frontcourts....
It really is hard to go against Bird/McHale/Parish.

Yup. Chamberlain/Baylor/Hairston come close, and as you said the 1970s Knicks had a pretty stellar lineup, but Bird/McHale/Parish are in a class of their own.
0 Replies