Basketball dream team

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 04:18 pm
Elvin (The Big E) Hayes played power forward.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:01 pm
What about Toni Kukoc in his prime? Do we want anyone not born in the good ole US of A, except for Hakeem?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:09 pm
Pretty sure the Big O ran the point, though I s'pose he may have done so from a forward position.

Nominate Kevin McHale at power forward...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:18 pm
I believe patiodog is on target re the Big O's position. One of the leading assist totals of all time...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:46 pm
"In the process of averaqing a triple-double, The Big O also became the only guard in NBA history ever to lead his team in rebounding, and the only player ever to total 900 assists and 900 rebounds in the same season.

For his first five years in the league, the 6-5, 210-pound Robertson cumulatively averaged a triple-double: 30.3 points per game, 10.6 assists per game and 10.4 rebounds per game.

Quite impressive!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:12 pm
I don't feel that I can make a logical selection, since there were too many great players in action before wide spread TV coverage. In addition the installation of the 24 second clock in the mid 50's made the game quite different. Also, I seem to remember an even earlier rule where a fouled team after sinking the first of two shots had the option of keeping possession rather than taking the second shot. One more major difference, it was not too long ago when "traveling" was a violation on the floor, not just in the rule book.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:51 pm
oscar robinson was the most underrated player in league history. had he played in the major media centers of the day, new york, or LA, hands down he would be considered the very best who ever played.

as an aside, did you know that the team he played for in high school was the one that played the real team for the state championship after which the movie "hoosiers" was made?

but since basketball is a team sport, it matters as much how a player helps his temmates excel as does the player's individual acheivement,

thus my dream team consists of players who were not only great individual players but also elevated their teammates play

center. bill russell (10 championships in 12 years)
forwards; larry bird, dr J
guards michael jordan, oscar robinson

second team
center wilt.
forwards elgin baylor, elvin hayes
guards, magic, jerry west

third team
center kareem
forwards karl malone, kevin mchale
guards john stockton, pete maravitch

however, i do believe that bill walton was the most complete center who ever played. he could shoot, rebound, pass like a point guard, and boy, could he play D. had his career lasted as long as russell's, kareem's or wilt's, he would have been considerd the best.

walton played the best basketball game i ever saw, in the NCAA championship in '73,
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:52 am
21 for 22. Unbelievable. I mean, why couldn't he make that one shot?!

A question: how good do you think Sabonis would've been in the NBA in his prime? I've seen old film of him on the Soviet team, and the things he did as a 7'3" guy were incredible. Of course, the things Toni Kukoc did in Europe looked pretty damn good before he came over here, too...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 12:11 pm
I think Sabonis would have been amazing. He showed better adaptation than the meek Kukoc.

Vlade Divac says he is the best player he has seen.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 12:28 pm
I'll believe Vlade on that one, since he played with Magic and all...
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 01:07 pm
BillW,
...the Globetrotters actually beat the world champion, Minneapolis Lakers, in an exhibition game.
...My first string...PG: Magic Johnson...SG: Michael Jordan...SF: Dr. J... PF:Dennis Rodman... C: Wilt Chamberlain.
...Second string...Big O... Jerry West...Larry Bird...Charles Barkley
...Eleventh and twelth men...Reese (Goose) Tatum, and Marques Haynes

...Rodman is on the first string rather than Barkley, because with all those great shooters, someone's got to do the dirty work.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 01:23 pm
1st team:
Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Karl Malone
Wilt Chamberlain
(In addition to the scoring, Wilt was the second most prodigious rebounder ever, is the only center ever to lead the NBA in assists, and never fouled out of a game. And I hear the ladies liked him, too.)

2nd team:
John Stockton (sorry, Cousy and Isiah)
Jerry West
Dr. J (sorry Elgin Baylor)
Kevin McHale
Hakeem Olajuwon

and...
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Arvydas Sabonis (hey, it's another center, but I think this team can handle it. Besides, Hakeem was quick enough to defend forwards and Sabonis can play the high post or the perimeter on O.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 01:51 pm
If you're gonna have Stockton and Malone, shouldn't they be on the same team? They had something that went beyond individual ability.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 01:56 pm
That's how I initially had them, then figured that Malone should get some Kudos over McHale for longevity. (Shouldn't Bird and McHale be together, too?)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:11 pm
Bird and McHale were both good but they were more intellectually good (I know, intellectual and Bird really don't belong in the same sentence...) I think they would've been good with anyone else of comparable atheletic ability. Stockton and Malone had some kinda psychic thing goin' on.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:15 pm
Why the past tense? They're still out there. (Actually have a long-lived hatred of the Jazz, but the way they carried themselves in losing in last year's playoffs spoke volumes about dignity in the face of defeat.)
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:18 pm
Patiodog,
...I believe Mchale was playing until he was about 40.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:23 pm
True. He wasn't nearly as effective as Malone still is, though. Hell, the Mailman is chasing Kareem's scoring record (but it doesn't look like he'll make it).

Hey, what about Moses Malone? Too many centers already, I guess...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:27 pm
Whoops. I thought Stockton retired. Checked it out, I'm wrong. (I'm mere days away from being in full football mode, so I'm not at all up to speed.)
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 02:32 pm
Yeah.... He was just effective enough to pick up a few rings. Rolling Eyes But hey... Mailman's got those great stats! Razz

Okay,Okay, I know it's not a fair comparison. I'm messin' with you Patio Twisted Evil Very Happy
0 Replies