"he is gone" vs "he has gone"

Nat093

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 03:56 pm
What's the semantic difference between the two sentences? How should I understand them?

Where is Jack?
1) He is gone.
2) He has gone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 940 • Replies: 5
No top replies

layman

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 04:02 pm
@Nat093,
No real difference. He is gone (he is not here). He has gone (he has left). But if you want to avoid all such questions, just do what I do, and say:

He gone.
layman

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 04:22 pm
@layman,
By the way, "He is gone" implies that he had been "there" at some previous time, but has departed. Hence it just reduces to "he has left."

Either way, he ain't "here" (now).
molokow

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 12:33 am
@layman,
1) he is gone The verb here is 'is'. 'Gone' is used here as an adjective. It's like saying 'he is tall' or 'he is finished'.

he has gone. 'has gone' is a verb form, the present perfect. The sentence means that sometime in the past, he went, so now he's not here.

So, technically 'he has gone' is correct: or you could try ' He has just left'. [Did you have had a bad relationship].

If it is in conversation and in context, then you would need the rest of the conversation to stop ambiguity.

layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 12:37 am
@molokow,
Thanks for the info, Molo. Sounds like you're sayin what I said, except I don't know anything about this kind of technical verbiage:

Quote:
...'has gone' is a verb form, the present perfect.
molokow

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 01:06 am
@layman,
Yeh, it is all gobbledygook to me as well.
0 Replies