Cancer survivors!

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 11:40 pm
Oh, yeah, besides that needle biopsy, two lumpectomies and radiation. Because my nabbed thingy was small I had small stuff. Who knows. I think I got away with small trauma and rads, and some of my friends have had big trauma and life defying chemo and rads over that. We all blink in the sunlight after the fact, and try to move on, but yes, those who have multiple chemo or bone marrow transplants and rads reel back to the seemingly normal from a real uncomfortable place.

Sometimes I wonder if every woman I see on the street has been through it...

or, will be going through it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 11:52 pm
Oh, on 911, I was much more attuned than I sounded, but was in the writing of the short diary zeroed in on myself. In fact the two splices of news were like slam bam thank you mam multiplied. But no, not the same as being on the ground at the wtc.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 06:16 am
Noddy- Thanks for the link. Fascinating.

http://www.lymphomahelp.org/0301monkey.php

Interesting, since the incidence of lymphoma appears to be on the rise.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:24 am
Ossco:

Thank you for your very thorough post. I find it interesting that the woman MD, took you in immediately, without any waiting. That was a good and decent thing for her to do.

As far as the backups, in the other departments, I think that either one must be forceful to gain admittance, or have someone else be forceful.

If you have breast cancer and it is detected early, it can be treated. Thank God yours was.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:45 am
The Age of Miracles is a complicated place, isn't it?

Edited to correct punctuation.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:49 am
My third wife is a cancer survivor as they say. she has been cancer free now for five years or more. she has had everything that would distinguish her as female removed, but she faced her illness with strength and resolve and is now someone who obviously looks for the good side of everything. My level of respect for her went way up when this took place and I hope that if I face cancer at some point in my life I will display the courage she faced.

My first wife died of a rare and 100% lethal cancer in the pleura of her lungs. She could have gone through a lot of shitty procedures and drugs that would have given her zero quality of life and died a painful death regardless, or just get the morphine IV and enjoy the short time she had while she could. She took the IV and booked a cruise. She enjoyed her life to the fullest as best she could for 18 months, saw to her own funeral arrangements ahead of time and died peacefully in her bed with my oldest cub by her side. I visited her a couple of weeks before her death and she displayed no sadness or fear. In a different way, she too displayed the kind of courage and grace I hope to be able to dredge up when my time comes.

It is my honor and pleasure at any opportunity anywhere to salute these two brave women.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 12:25 pm
Your welcome, Miller. And yes, my female breast surgeon is a great person, and happens to be very well regarded in the field.

Bear, that is a good tribute you've written there, thank you for writing it..
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 11:09 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Oh, on 911, I was much more attuned than I sounded, but was in the writing of the short diary zeroed in on myself. In fact the two splices of news were like slam bam thank you mam multiplied. But no, not the same as being on the ground at the wtc.

True. Still, it must have seemed like the entire world was crashing down around you, both literally and figuratively.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 11:15 pm
You can be quite eloquent when it counts, bear. I am impressed. With both your generous insights and with the women you've written about. Facing death with grace is a difficult thing to do. I, too, hope I will have that strength when my time comes.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:36 am
ah shucks m'aam Embarrassed
0 Replies