Foo Foo is missing :-(

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:27 am
Our rabbit Foo Foo just vanished 3 days ago and we can't figure out what happened to her. Foo Foo is 5 years old and has had the run of a fenced in area out back. The area is about 20ft by 20ft. We last saw her Saturday night where she was fine. There was nothing unusual about her eating habbits or anything at all. She has made a few tunnels in the ground and I wonder if there's any way she could have gotten stuck in one of them. Even though I still have hope, I'm pretty much assuming that she's no longer with us. The not knowing what has happened to her makes things worse. We are going to start digging in the tunnels this morning and I'm gonna try to get a mirror and flashlight in there to see if I can't see anything. I am also wondering if it's possible for an eagle to have swooped down and grab her. Could an eagle carry a full grown rabbit?

We are all very sad at the Montana ranch as Foo Foo was a part of our family who we all loved and adored Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,804 • Replies: 115
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:45 am
I am very sorry to hear that, Montana.

I am sure a reasonably sized eagle could grab a big rabbit - but have you seen one around at all?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:00 am
Bummer ... that's a tough deal, losin' a pet, and its even worse not knowin' what happened. Rabbits are burrowin' critters, so an escape is always a possibility. On a more somber note, dunno how Foo-Foo's size compares with the rabbits around Timberland, but around here, the eagles, 'specially the Baldies, certainly do take 'em if the opportunity presents. Owls, too.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:01 am
Thanks Deb. I was just reading up on the eagles diet and rabbits up to 4 pounds are on the list. I sure hope that's not how she parted. We have some hawks around here, but I never imagined that they could pick up a full grown rabbit, so I never worried about them. Now that I've done some research, my heart is breaking at the thought.

This is so damn sad!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:05 am
timberlandko wrote:
Bummer ... that's a tough deal, losin' a pet, and its even worse not knowin' what happened. Rabbits are burrowin' critters, so an escape is always a possibility. On a more somber note, dunno how Foo-Foo's size compares with the rabbits around Timberland, but around here, the eagles, 'specially the Baldies, certainly do take 'em if the opportunity presents. Owls, too.

I never knew that she was in any danger out there. I know she didn't get out since there are no exit holes on the other side of the fence and even if she did get out, I know she would have come back.

Now I feel guilty as hell and this just plain sucks!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:22 am
Don't go beatin' yourself up ... unless your fenced yard is huge, its not real likely a big raptor would hunt it. They don't much mind a steep strike angle, but particularly with larger prey, they'll prefer a relatively long and shallow climb-out, and tend to avoid areas near significant trees, typical fences, or buildings.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:31 am
What Timber said!

Whoodathunk - especially when she had been safe for ages.

if that is what happened, then it was a quick death.

rabbits are much preyed upon.

you gave her a much longer life than most of her wild rellies.

be happy - but grieve.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:31 am
The fence is connected right to the house and I didn't think they'ed come that close either, especially since we're right across the street from the ocean full of fish, but if we can't find her after digging out her tunnels, then it really can be the only thing left that could have happened.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:37 am
dlowan wrote:
What Timber said!

Whoodathunk - especially when she had been safe for ages.

if that is what happened, then it was a quick death.

rabbits are much preyed upon.

you gave her a much longer life than most of her wild rellies.

be happy - but grieve.

I know she's had a better life than any rabbit can, but I didn't expect to lose her after only 5 years. I know rabbits are subject to a lot of health problems, but she showed no signs of being ill.

we miss her cute little face and her so very funny ways Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:43 am
Awwwwwwwww.......(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 03:03 am
I just got finished digging out her first tunnel and she's not there. If she's not in the other tunnel, then I won't be liking those f***ing birds anymore.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 04:27 am
maybe it was a fox. Usually when a raptor strikes, there will be some fur around . Could it be that foo foo got "in a family way" and went into den mode? Is her freed not being eaten?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 04:45 am
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 04:56 am
Awww...that is really sad, Montana. Crying or Very sad Is it possible that Foo Foo whacked too many fieldmice on the head and the fairy godmother took her away?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 05:00 am
farmerman wrote:
maybe it was a fox. Usually when a raptor strikes, there will be some fur around . Could it be that foo foo got "in a family way" and went into den mode? Is her freed not being eaten?

A fox could have never gotten over the fence to get her. She hasn't touched her food nor have we seen her since Saturday night. I finally finished digging out her second tunnel and was able to reach my hand in to the end of it, so now I know for sure that she didn't just go underground and die. She just vanish. The only other 2 things that could have happened is that she could have gotten out through a small space in the fence that I doubt she could get through, or my worst nightmare that she got scooped up by some big bastard bird. I think that if she had gotten out somehow, she would have come back. She loved us as much as we loved her, but who knows, if she met another bunny, she might be inclined to start a new family.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking the worst and it's breaking my heart to imagine some big bird coming down and taking my Foo Foo away and eating her Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 06:13 am
Whenever someone loses a pet, I ask them to check here www.petfinder.com
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 06:39 am
Montana, I am fairly certain it was the work of an owl.

Or a hawk. Once when I pulled into my driveway I was startled to see a hawk sitting there. Upon closer examination I noticed he had just struck a rabbit. He flew off with the rabbit in its talons and landed on the branch of a large cottonwood tree and proceeded to eat the rabbit.

I hope I'm not being too graphic, but that's what happened.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:25 am
Awww. Foo Foo has been like family & neighbors for as long as I can remember.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:31 am
Montana, that is soooo sad. I will keep hoping againgst hope, but my heart goes out to you!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:53 am
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

You're making me cry, too. I'm so sorry, Montana.
0 Replies