Foo Foo is missing :-(

Montana

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:11 pm
I know. I'm sitting at the edge of my seat just waiting. I talk to my cousin today who said they were very strict at the SPCA here and said some of her friends were denied pets simply because they worked too much. Well, we're always here and even when my son and I do go to work full time, my mother is retired and always home.

RING!!!!! Damn phone, RING!!!!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:12 pm
...then you'll be able to join all the CAT threads.....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:14 pm
The reason they're checking you out is that they want to make sure the cat's going to a home where it will be essentially a housecat. If you were a farmer looking for a ratter for your barn, the SPCA isn't going to let you have one. Cats are natural born hunters, but the SPCA doesn't want you to let them do that. Oh, the thought of a cat killing a poor, defenseless rat!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:24 pm
margo wrote:
...then you'll be able to join all the CAT threads.....

Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:28 pm
CJ
I think they just want to make sure that the animals go to a decent loving home. In the paperwork I checked off that the cat would be a house cat, so I don't see any problems. I think I'll head out to Walmart to grab a few more things and since the SPCA is along the way, I might stop in and see if they'll let us have our kitty.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:32 pm
M, I have no problem with you getting an animal from the SPCA, I think it's great. But I do take exception to some of their background check policies. Which do you think is more humane, allowing a cat to live in a barn chasing mice, or be euthanized?

Good luck getting your kitty. I'm sure you will.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:36 pm
I would have loved to have captured some of the feral kittens around here, and gotten them placements as barn cats. You would have to nab them really early to make pets of them. Like Barney, of course.

Don't get mad when she won't play with the toys, Montana. If it doesn't have a person on the other end, they usually won't like it. Yes, have the litter pan ready when she comes home. Bring her in the front door and set her in it right away. She will have been wondering where it is. My pan has a covered top, with a charcoal filter in the top. It's better for both of you. They will follow you into the bathroom to watch, but value their own privacy.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:06 pm
CJ
I hear what you're saying and I agree ;-)

Roger
I already had her litter box in place and her water bowl before I even left the house.
I didn't get my phone call, but I decided to be a pest since I wanted her now. When we got there, they said that they called my references and could only get a hold of one of them, but if I could come up with one more person they could talk too right then, they would let me take her home, so I went out back and called my uncle on my cell phone who agreed to be my reference and lie to them telling them we are not related. Well, it worked and we were free to take her home. Thing is that today the blue eyed one was happy and playful, unlike yesterday and we couldn't resist taking her instead. I was asking the girl that worked there about blue eyed white cats being deaf and she said that my kittens eyes were not going to stay blue and that all white kittens have blue eyes until they reach a certain age. She then said that some cats will have one blue eye and the other eye will be another color and those ones usually end up deaf in one ear. I did test the kittens hearing when we were there and she has no problem at all.
I'm glad we made this choice because this is the first time I've brought a kitten home that wasn't hiding and scared for a few days. She's playing and running around having a great old time for herself :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:09 pm
Oh, I also did bring her right to her litter box as soon as we got home and then to her food and water bowl. She has already done her thing, had some chow and drank some water. She is one happy kitty.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:13 pm
This is our newest member of the family.

Everyone meet Cali.

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11505/Mvc-012f%7E5.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:15 pm
It's a lousy picture, but she won't sit still long enough for me to get a good one, but you all know they'll be plenty ;-)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:37 pm
It's a great picture. Spooky hid out for two or three days. He's good at it, and the name was earned. Nermal and Barney were more outgoing from the start, and still are.

She's a lucky cat. You're a lucky girl.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:39 pm
Thanks Roger :-D
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:19 pm
HOORAY!!! HOORAY!!! HOORAY!!!

Cali is just BEAUTIFUL, Montana! Ooh, she's got just the right length of fur...she'll always be a soft, fluffy cat. And yes, most kittens start out with blue eyes...sort of steel blue...and they will change over the next few weeks/months. First blue-green, then green, then possibly on to yellow-green and/or yellow. That's the usual progression, but it can stop at any color.

How WONDERFUL! There is nothing like a new kitten for laughs! See? Here I am, a thousand miles away, and even I am grinning! I am so tickled for you!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 12:51 am
Awww!!! Thanks Eva. I noticed that she has grown very fond of my chair (the one she's on in the photo) and I have to keep moving her, oh oh, lol! I tried to take a nap on that very chair and woke up to find her sleeping on my belly. Then I went back to sleep and woke up to kitty that decided my foot was her play thing at the moment. I then got up and came to my computer to find an IM from Roger telling me not to go to sleep because Cali will attack my toes, haha!

Roger
It looks like you have her all figured out ;-)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 04:34 am
Looking at the photograph, I noticed the chairs seem to be weighing down fairly heavily on your carpet.

It might not be a bad idea to move those chairs around. If you leave them where they're at, when you do move them you're going to have these little circles of compacted carpet.

Sometimes the damage can be irreversible.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 04:40 am
Oh, and one more thing. That shadow on the carpet. That's not the shadow of a hawk, is it?

[size=7] (Why can't I learn to keep my big mouth shut?)[/size]
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 06:22 pm
It might be my computer, Montana, but I can't see her too clearly. Lovely ears, though! Laughing You are going to have so much pleasiure with Cali. Keep us posted. Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 06:34 pm
Olga
The picture did come out fuzzy because I took it quickly and it was a bit too dark in the room. If you want to see better pictures of her, there are plenty in my gallery :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 06:40 pm
Olga
Here's the link to my Gallery. She's in the Home Sweet Home album. http://www.able2know.com/gallery/index.php? cat=11505
0 Replies