Few or a few

dalehileman

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 01:52 pm
@layman,
Quote:
...one quality which you are NOT lacking
Tho Lay I'm flattered, you'll note few such postings except back there in Relativity where I'm still stumped
0 Replies

imawonderingwhy

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 11:49 am
@contrex,
Contrex wrote: I said that "some" captures the meaning of the two word phrase "a few".

-------------------------------

Perhaps a dictionary is in order.
contrex

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 12:00 pm
@imawonderingwhy,
imawonderingwhy wrote:
Perhaps a dictionary is in order.

Cambridge Dictionaries:

(1) a few

determiner, pronoun

Some, or a small number of something:

I need to get a few things in town. There are a few slices of cake left over from the party. We've been having a few problems with the new computer. If you can't fit all the bags in your car, I can take a few in mine. "How many potatoes do you want?" "Oh, just a few, please."

(2) few

determiner, pronoun, noun, adjective

A small number or not many:

It was embarrassing how few people attended the party. He is among the few people I can trust. Very few people can afford to pay those prices. We leave for France in a few days. Few of the children can read or write yet. Few things in this world give me more pleasure than a long bath. We get few complaints. According to the survey, as few as ten percent of us are happy with our jobs. The benefits of the planned changes are few.

imawonderingwhy

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 12:05 pm
@contrex,
Let’s get some work done. [Cambridge]

--------------------------

I just grabbed one quick example. Do you think 'some' has the intended meaning of "a few" work meaning, "little work"?
contrex

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 02:09 pm
@imawonderingwhy,
imawonderingwhy wrote:

Let’s get some work done. [Cambridge]

--------------------------

I just grabbed one quick example. Do you think 'some' has the intended meaning of "a few" work meaning, "little work"?

No. "Some work" just means "an unspecified amount of work" in that sentence. That amount could be small, medium or large.
0 Replies