Genes 'to blame for infidelity'

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:52 am
Genes 'to blame for infidelity'

Some people may be genetically programmed to be unfaithful, a scientist claims.

Professor Tim Spector, of the Twin Research Unit at St Thomas's Hospital, London, says sutdies of twins suggest a genetic component to infidelity. If one of a pair of women twins has a history of infidelity, the chances her sister will also stray are about 55 per cent, he claims. And the tendendy for the pair to be either faithful of unfaithful is strongest in identical twins, who have the same genes, he says.

In general he claims the proportion of women as a whole who are unfaithful to their partners is around 23 per cent.

He stresses that genes alone do not make someone unfaithful, as social factors play an important role. But he says it makes good evolutionary sense to get a good mix of genes - so women may choose a better option if one comes along.

He also thinks it unlikely that infidelity is down to just one gene.

"But there are likely to be genes that participate in it, a number of genes working together," he told BBC Online.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 920 • Replies: 12
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:00 am
This would explain why I do the things I do! I can't help it! I'm genetically predertermined! Now I'm going to ask out that waitress. Honey - don't expect me home for dinner!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:10 am
And what about environment? Twins generally share a family.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:45 pm
Right, Noddy. Smile
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:12 am
Yes, it certainly runs in families, as I found to my cost after marrying into one! But that can be understood environmentally - patterns learned in childhood, etc. I think most of us could be unfaithful, maybe the gene that dominates in us is loyalty... so that infidelity doesn't really become worth the losses involved. Whaddya think?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:50 am
Not so. As I have found infidelity is 100% caused by jumping some-one you are not married to!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 05:19 am
That has to be the most elaborate excuse to the wife I've ever heard.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 05:29 am
If anything genes are "to blame" for fidelity. Infideltiy is the norm and the natural state of nature. There are very few animals and, for that matter, very few humans that stick with one partner for life.

I am not knocking fidelity. It is an important part of my marriage. But fidelity is a cultural artifact that is somewhat unnatural.

In this context a "scientific" study that claims a genetic link to infidelity seems a bit strange.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 07:05 am
Infidelity sure does run in my family. Grandfather, father, uncle, brother and now, seemingly, the nephew. It's not the genes, tho. It was learned behavior, deception, taught from a early age under the premise of "that's what men do."
There was some movie on Lifetime a while back with Kim Delany from NYPD Blue starring as a wife cheating on her husband and, according to the commercials for it, her behavior had something to do with what she learned from her father, who cheated on her mother. Did anybody see it? It seemed like she was blaming her father for her behavior. I kind of wanted to see it, to see how far they took that bs.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:37 pm
The DNA made me do it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:39 pm
As I recall the study, it was about twins that were not raised together.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:42 pm
ahhh, different study.
This one was identical twins vs. non-identical twins.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3026332
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 02:29 pm
Even so....environment is more identical for identical twins....

Have you seen Dlowan's thread on a closely related subject:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/about26862.html
0 Replies