The Void and the Absolute Oneness of the Universe

layman

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:08 am
@Razzleg,
Quote:
...your honest, alternate explanation for your practice encourages me to question the motive behind it in a different, and in an unexpected, more human, and potentially positive, way.

I'm not sure why you say "potentially" positive, Razz. Is it because you assume that Frank is aware of the "my posts" function at this site, which quickly tells you, without searching, page by page, what posts you (Frank, in Frank's case) have made?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 06:14 am
@Razzleg,
Thank you, Razz, I really appreciate that.

I wanted to keep that to myself, but after getting called up on it so many times, I just lost patience. There really was no need to explain, because the context of my posts showed that I was not yelling. And the use of bold has been used by several people in the past without comments complaining of yelling.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 06:16 am
@layman,
Your posts, Layman, number less than 800. Mine number almost 33,000.

Try looking up posts from 7 or 8 years ago using the MY POSTS feature…and see how that works out.

I've been looking back with the type in unbold...and been having trouble. I am simply planning for the future...when thing get even worse.

JLNobody

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank's posts are not too bold; they are too long.
And Layman, in school I shared your response to the nature of the "point". I decided to always remind myself that a point refers not to a thing; it refers to a location. Similarly a "line" is a direction. Of course I didn't do too well in geometry.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:25 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Frank's posts are not too bold; they are too long.

So the emperor said, "Too many notes."

And Mozart said, "There are just enough notes...not one too many; not one too few.

But if you think they are too long...I will work with you to remove the A2K requirement that you read every word of my posts rather than just scan them.
fresco

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 10:11 am
@JLNobody,
JLN Re: Geometry.
Just to remind you about a past piece of correspondence we had (2008).
Quote:
Further to the Projective Geometry reference (in which "infinities" meet) I found this interesting point on Wiki.
"Paul Dirac studied projective geometry and used it as a basis for developing his concepts of Quantum Mechanics"
I think this might have heuristic significance for our holistic position*,

The point here is that there are different geometries, some of which act as a self consistent scaffolding for epistemological and ontological positions. As with all mathematical models it is this self consistency of geometries which gives rise to "the logic" or "coherence" of the scientific models which utilize them as abstractions. The word scaffold is also important as it implies the constructivist nature of modelling rather than a representationalist one. That point is antithetical to naive realism and references it might make to "objectivity".

* bringing us back on topic.

JLNobody

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 10:52 am
@fresco,
Fresco, thanks for that important reminder. Math's logic promotes the coherence of the inter-subjective construction of models of the physical world. But it does not, by itself, represent that world--but neither does language in its efforts to refer to notions of the world.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 11:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
Very good. Mozart responded, at least in the movie, by asking the king which notes he would delete, a very funny moment.
I was not clear: I do not suggest that YOU use too many words. My reference was to your practice of copying excessively large quotations, which tire me out unnecessarily. It would be so much easier to get through your often enlightening posts if you would condense your references to the essential ideas of those you quote. I would find considerable relief if you would paraphrase when you can.
fresco

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 11:10 am
@JLNobody,
Yes.
And another point obscured by English (as opposed to German), is that the word "representation" has two connotations. The first implies "static picture in the mind" (as in "of reality"), the second implies a "re-living" of a conscious process (as in "a constructed reality"). The dynamism/active processing of the second captures the inextricability of subject-object.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 11:20 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Very good… funny…clear... enlightening post.

Done.

How'd it work? Wink (Just bustin' chops!)

Oh...the other name for "paraphrasing" in an Internet forum...is "straw man building."

JLNobody

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 12:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Sometimes a paraphrase may be a strawman ploy, but not necessarily.
By the way, neither of us is young enough to change our ways, but the effort to change the other can be fun.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Try looking up posts from 7 or 8 years ago using the MY POSTS feature…and see how that works out.

OK, Frank, I see your point. Makes sense.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:49 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
I was not clear: I do not suggest that YOU use too many words. My reference was to your practice of copying excessively large quotations, which tire me out unnecessarily. It would be so much easier to get through your often enlightening posts if you would condense your references to the essential ideas of those you quote. I would find considerable relief if you would paraphrase when you can.

I am not aware of what Frank's practices are, JL, but I agree with you completely on this. If someone wants to see the "entire post" for complete context, it's generally no problem to just "scroll up" a little. To completely repeat the entire exchange each time gets excessively messy. Use a little discretion and quote selectively. It's not only less messy, but it sharpens the focus considerably.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 10:39 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

I know of no evidence that Maturana was significantly funded by "businessmen". If you have, I would find it interesting but not a serious detraction from the intellectual import of his writings. Indeed , it would be difficult to classify any research as "pure"in view of a wider definition of "a social construction of reality", which like "non-duality" makes excellent sense to me.

You are right, and i was wrong. i have been looking up a few things, and i have no idea how i managed to conjure up the rather fixed idea that Maturana produced texts for businessmen. The idea has a root somewhere, but not as regards, at least in so far as i can currently tell, Maturana. i had in mind, specifically The Tree of Knowledge. Maybe the government involvement in the project, combined with the right-wing military dictatorship in Chile, prompted a certain type of paranoia in me.

fresco wrote:
Indeed , it would be difficult to classify any research as "pure"in view of a wider definition of "a social construction of reality", which like "non-duality" makes excellent sense to me.

i'm not actually sure what you're saying here.

JLNobody wrote:

Layman says that "Some people go too far in the other direction, and start thinking that empirical observation, standing alone, is "science."
I agree: facts do not speak for themselves; they require interpretation, and this usually--in the context of scientific investigation, at least--occurs within a framework of "theoretical postulations" (i.e., observations referring to concepts and vice versa).

Um, no. In a scientific context, which always involves the the physical, in some way, a hypothesis is proffered, an experiment is made, and a theory is either proved or disproved. Facts, in the form of a hypothetical statement, do not prove themselves, but interpretation is not the decisive factor in their success.

Hypotheses are open to interpretation, as are the resultant theorems, but the relationship between the hypotheses, experiments, and theories is much less so. Interpretation has its place in scientific undertakings, but it cannot take the place of experiment as the primary motor and motive of scientific understanding.

fresco wrote:

* bringing us back on topic.

boring

fresco wrote:

us-world.

i know that this term you just generated is about human interaction and environmental interactivity, but it is also an absurdly eloquent example of your position's anthropocentrism. The change brought about by observation isn't just "simultaneous", it also has consequences, and those consequences aren't one way.

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 10:45 pm
Fresco and his ilk, with their obsessive insistence on a reality which only exists in the context of linguistic interaction, are completely unable to answer the question of "Whence the languagers." (Languager is the kind of nonsense he and his cronies apparently think a worthwhile neologism.) The first time i asked Fresco that, he immediate indulged in a vicious, personal attack. It's the one question upon which his religious faith founders.
layman

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 10:51 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The first time i asked Fresco that, he immediate indulged in a vicious, personal attack. It's the one question upon which his religious faith founders.

Like, whooda thunk, eh?

That's our Fresco, sure enough.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 02:06 am
@Razzleg,
Any anthropocentrism implied by "language users" (normally implying humans) is one of level of systems complexity when discussing such users. For example, Maturana makes the case that all we call "observation" should be limited to the system employed by such languagers. This leads to the counter intuitive scenario of an animal, a cat say, not "observing" its quarry (the mouse) but engaged in a mutual process of "structural coupling" in which the two living structures are engaged in a single process we might call " a chasing".. The argument is that we language users anthropomorphically assign the concept of "observation" to "the mind of the cat"...a misnomer according to M on the basis that all we call "observation" involves verbal reporting. The analogy is to point out that we should no more talk about the heart "observing" muscle activity and altering its rate,than we should talk about cats "observing" mice and chasing them. Both are examples of biological structural coupling at different levels of system complexity.
Similarly, at even higher levels of systems complexity, society say, languaging itself is subject to structural mechanisms such as the transactional rules operating in "language games" which thinkers like Habermas have attempted to describe as essential elements of societal structures.

In summary, "holistic thinking" is not confined to human observer-observed, but to all living systems at levels of complexity from the cell upwards. Maybe this last point goes some way in illustrating my thoughts about "the social construction of reality" vis-a-vis "non-duality".

fresco

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 02:27 am
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah99/davidrs1/birds_zpsxiee1cmp.jpg

layman and Setanta
Razzleg

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 12:35 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Any anthropocentrism implied by "language users" (normally implying humans) is one of level of systems complexity when discussing such users. For example, Maturana makes the case that all we call "observation" should be limited to the system employed by such languagers. This leads to the counter intuitive scenario of an animal, a cat say, not "observing" its quarry (the mouse) but engaged in a mutual process of "structural coupling" in which the two living structures are engaged in a single process we might call " a chasing".. The argument is that we language users anthropomorphically assign the concept of "observation" to "the mind of the cat"...a misnomer according to M on the basis that all we call "observation" involves verbal reporting. The analogy is to point out that we should no more talk about the heart "observing" muscle activity and altering its rate,than we should talk about cats "observing" mice and chasing them. Both are examples of biological structural coupling at different levels of system complexity.
Similarly, at even higher levels of systems complexity, society say, languaging itself is subject to structural mechanisms such as the transactional rules operating in "language games" which thinkers like Habermas have attempted to describe as essential elements of societal structures.

In summary, "holistic thinking" is not confined to human observer-observed, but to all living systems at levels of complexity from the cell upwards. Maybe this last point goes some way in illustrating my thoughts about "the social construction of reality" vis-a-vis "non-duality".

i get it, you've expanded the definition of all interactions between beings as language, and thus made the contrast between observer/observed seem copacetic. But how is this not anthropocentic?

Has a cat confirmed your understanding of its predatory behaviour? Or are you working under a huge assumption?

When you admit to varying "levels" of systems complexity, aren't you admitting hierarchy into your holism?

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 01:37 am
@fresco,
A sterling example of the strength of Fresco's argument in defense of his religion.