The Void and the Absolute Oneness of the Universe

argome321

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 08:39 pm
@layman,
[quoteRight, I hear you. Like what Kant might call a category of understanding, eh? Purely conceptual, and not a thing in itself. Just a "condition" which makes understanding possible:][/quote]

precisely
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 02:35 am
@fresco,

i get why you think that article is so impressive...both von Glaserfeld and yourself are equally enamored by the modus of Maturana's message...but you both ignore the motive. Maturana wasn't a wearied philosopher interested in truth, or experience, reality or value...he produced a "philosophy" made in the service of corporate efficiency. He philosophied in order to maximize profit.

fresco wrote:

The metaphor is one which seeks to differentiate between "the descriptive" and "the experiential". The latter involves coalescence between observer and observed...it has a dynamic emotional/visceral dimension as well as an intellectual one. It is ineffable in the same sense that our involvement with a piece of music is transcendent of a physical description of the sound.

And yet, it is "the descriptive" mode that does not seek to transcend the experiential base...it acknowledges the limits of experience and only seeks to expand them by sharing them with others...as best they can.

fresco wrote:

What is "intended" is a gentle, yet simplistic assertion that "either you get it or you don't". You get it if "you've been there"...in which case it is "self evident".

So yours is a revealed truth? Non-dualism is based on faith, right?
Razzleg

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 02:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Yeah, Razz...this is Fresco saying about his religion what fundamentalist Christians often say about theirs. You either know that GOD exists...or you don't. But once GOD reveals himself to you...it is self-evident!

Yep, yep...
fresco

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 03:33 am
@Razzleg,
As you well know, we are all stuck with words to try to point to what is essentially "ineffable". If you want to interpret a common experience of understanding as "religious", that is your privilege based on your intellectual search agenda. I would simply argue that "religion" is a concept which usually manifests as "that which informs life's decisions". No doubt some "eco-warriors" brandish the flag of " holism" as they ride into battle. More fool them !

I tried to make clear that my allusion to "epiphany" was a simile intended to to express my understanding of those who use that word in a religious sense. But I also tried to make clear that the concept of "self as illusory" rather than "self as submissive" was where I departed from "religious experience".

Finally, I don't know what you mean by "revealed truth" other than a religious epiphany. Nothing is "revealed" in an understanding of non-duality. It is a vantage point from which the "trials and tribulations" of what we call our lives are seen as passing perturbations in the cosmic flux. Of course, if you wanted to, you could describe it as a method of attempted insulation from involvement. The cynic might call meditators "monks without monastries". But I suggest that the difference is that meditators know of these criticisms and understand the transient facets of "self" from which they arise. Do you ? Have you analysed why you might want to interpret some writers as "profit motivated" ? .. surely a simplistic one-liner ..a posture for purposes of what ?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2015 07:12 am
@Razzleg,
And I see he replies to you...and pursues his religion with the same vigor a Christian would bring to a defense of his or hers.

He honestly cannot (or will not) see it.

He says

Quote:
Nothing is "revealed" in an understanding of non-duality.

Think about that clunker. "An understanding" apparently is what the non-dualists call a "belief" or "blind guess"...when they propose it as THE truth.

Another beauty!

Quote:
I suggest that the difference is that meditators know of these criticisms and understand the transient facets of "self" from which they arise.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 12:42 am
@fresco,
Razzleg wrote:

fresco wrote:

What is "intended" [by the metaphor] is a gentle, yet simplistic assertion that "either you get it or you don't". You get it if "you've been there"...in which case it is "self evident".

So yours is a revealed truth? Non-dualism is based on faith, right?

fresco wrote:

As you well know, we are all stuck with words to try to point to what is essentially "ineffable". If you want to interpret a common experience of understanding as "religious", that is your privilege based on your intellectual search agenda.

i apologize. Sometimes, the niceties of sarcasm and irony are hard to communicate via written communication. And sometimes i allow myself to forget that my personal references are not universal. While I mentioned faith (i suppose, in an all-around shitty way, to emphasize the insult), my reference to "revealed truth" was actually a circuitous dig at the "self-evident truth" of classical rationalists, in an attempt to associate the perspective you present and theirs.

fresco wrote:
"either you get it or you don't". You get it if "you've been there"...in which case it is "self evident".

Here's the point; are you suggesting that non-dualism produces a necessary binary condition? If you get it, how is that so?

Wouldn't a "better", albeit koan-like, response be: "Either you get it, and you don't."

fresco wrote:
I tried to make clear that my allusion to "epiphany" was a simile intended to to express my understanding of those who use that word in a religious sense. But I also tried to make clear that the concept of "self as illusory" rather than "self as submissive" was where I departed from "religious experience".

i'm not sure that distinction can be made clear, if the actuality of understanding is to stand.

fresco wrote:
Finally, I don't know what you mean by "revealed truth" other than a religious epiphany. Nothing is "revealed" in an understanding of non-duality.

fresco wrote:
Nothing is "revealed" in an understanding of non-duality.

No? Nothing? Then what are we arguing about?

fresco wrote:
It is a vantage point from which the "trials and tribulations" of what we call our lives are seen as passing perturbations in the cosmic flux.

But that's not all it is, right?

fresco wrote:
Of course, if you wanted to, you could describe it as a method of attempted insulation from involvement. The cynic might call meditators "monks without monastries". But I suggest that the difference is that meditators know of these criticisms and understand the transient facets of "self" from which they arise. Do you?

Actually, i do. But, although i have abandoned the practice of meditation, i have not forgotten what i learned through it. Meditation did not exempt me from the '"trials and tribulations" of what we call our lives', nor did it reconcile me to the "passing perturbations in the cosmic flux."

"Our" lives are a matter of "or/and"s; a ruthless variety of existential non sequitur, the pains of which cease, not when we adopt dogmatism, but when we absolve ourselves of certainty.

fresco wrote:
Have you analysed why you might want to interpret some writers as "profit motivated" ? .. surely a simplistic one-liner ..a posture for purposes of what ?

It wasn't a one-liner. i didn't interpret some writer as "profit motivated" , as if authorship were a by-product of potential profit. Maturana was a person contracted by businessmen to "arrange" a "philosophy" that managed both their employees and their expectations. Maturana did this for money. Do you deny this historical fact?

fresco

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 08:25 am
@Razzleg,
I know of no evidence that Maturana was significantly funded by "businessmen". If you have, I would find it interesting but not a serious detraction from the intellectual import of his writings. Indeed , it would be difficult to classify any research as "pure"in view of a wider definition of "a social construction of reality", which like "non-duality" makes excellent sense to me.

JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 05:50 pm
Who said somewhere above that a number can be divided infintely? I agree, but that's only because of the hypothetical nature of numbers. But things--like the boards used to make a house--cannot be divided infintely: after enough divisions they can no longer be called "boards"; their nature changes to something on the molecular and later atomic levels.
layman

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 06:33 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
...after enough divisions they can no longer be called "boards"; their nature changes to something on the molecular and later atomic levels

Maybe, JL, but how does that refute (one of) Zeno's paradox?

This may be a little off-topic, but I can remember sitting in geometry class when I was told that a "point" had no length, breadth, or depth.

I just said: What?

I quit school the next day.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 07:58 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Who said somewhere above that a number can be divided infinitely?

It was I who said it. You're taking it out of context.

The statement was made in explaining the use of abstract thought as a tool and the process in which it helps us to understand the tangible world.
It was to clarify how often people confuse the subject matter with the instrument to which they are using to examine the subject.

In this case math is the tool but it is not the subject and when you attempt to explain that "But things--like the boards used to make a house--cannot be divided infintely: after enough divisions they can no longer be called "boards"; their nature changes to something on the molecular and later atomic levels." you are making the same mistake.

we aren't interested in the nature of the boards and dividing it infinitely. That is not our goal. We are only interested in cutting the board to meet certain measurements to build something in the tangible world.

Board is tangible, to math to measure is abstract, to cut board is tangible.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 09:47 pm
@argome321,
Understood. I've always felt, however, that the mathematical study of the physical world is a way of managing our thinking process. Math describes more our thoughts about the world rather than the world itself.
fresco

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 03:32 am
@JLNobody,
...but can also generates new observations of "the world" which simultaneously change both "us" and "the world".... in short the us-world.
argome321

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 09:13 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Understood. I've always felt, however, that the mathematical study of the physical world is a way of managing our thinking process. Math describes more our thoughts about the world rather than the world itself.

I totally agree with your assessment. I was just saying that beyond the peripheral scope of math or any abstract tool, that which we can apply to the real world becomes necessary and the rest for that instance become superfluous. I say the rest may be good fodder for conversation or for future endeavors. We should be aware of the line where it is useful for practical purposes and where it becomes excessive and know the distinction.

I think that too often, even with our best intention in mind, we confuse or blur the line.

I had responded to the post about "Does nothing Exist and was only using my explanation as a way of pointing this out.

A writing in his description of a scene may write for example:

" I entered the room and it was completely bare. Yet I heard that nature abhors a vacuum." A week later I entered that same said room and a single chair stood staring at me. It seem to beg for me to sit and take a load off my feet."

What could be surmised from the lines above is that at one point nothing, as a noun, was referred to directly. Nothing is used as a qualifier to denote the absence of something. It is that something or lack there of that is the concern. It isn't about the nothing. It is about the something or lack of the something in the room. The nothing, which is essentially abstract, helps us to see that.

In the next visit to the room there is a chair and that is what commands our
attention. We have something and is definable by its'mass and the space that surrounds it. A great deal can be deduced from this. a single chair (something as opposed to nothing) identified? There isn't anything else? Nothing more?

The nothing like zero in math helps us gives us a picture of reality that we can work with to achieve some goal. I am not talking on a subatomic level. Nothing and zero are abstract concepts and in their use should never be misconstrued or misused as real tangible entities. From my own observations I believe it is here where I think that confusion starts.

P.S.But many of our thoughst about the world are independent of reality and more often wrong compared to what actual knowledge we have about the world. Sometime we get the math wrong and sometimes we get the math right.

Still, I think the best we can do is make our choices best on probability.
layman

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 09:21 am
@argome321,
Quote:
Nothing and zero are abstract concepts and in their use should never be misconstrued or misused as real tangible entities.

Somebody should tell that to the "physical" theorists who present "string theory" as "science," eh, Arg? The same goes for many other branches of what is presented as "physical science" these days, but which is really just math combined with speculation about things with no empirical basis whatsoever.

It is dogma, for example, that the speed of light cannot be exceeded. So what happens when scientists observe that? They say that the things separating at a speed greater than light aren't really moving at all. It's just that the space between them is "expanding."

Heh. Suddenly "space" is a "thing" which expands.

I may "think" that I just walked into my kitchen to get a cup of coffee. But that was just an illusion. What "really" happened was that neither I, nor the kitchen, moved an inch. The space between us just decided to shrink, that's all.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 09:25 am
@argome321,
argome321 wrote:

Quote:

I totally agree with your assessment. I was just saying that beyond the peripheral scope of math or any abstract tool, that which we can apply to the real world becomes necessary and the rest for that instance become superfluous. I say the rest may be good fodder for conversation or for future endeavors. We should be aware of the line where it is useful for practical purposes and where it becomes excessive and know the distinction.

I think that too often, even with our best intention in mind, we confuse or blur the line.

I had responded to the post about "Does nothing Exist and was only using my explanation as a way of pointing this out.

A writing in his description of a scene may write for example:

" I entered the room and it was completely bare. Yet I heard that nature abhors a vacuum." A week later I entered that same said room and a single chair stood staring at me. It seem to beg for me to sit and take a load off my feet."

What could be surmised from the lines above is that at one point nothing, as a noun, was referred to directly. Nothing is used as a qualifier to denote the absence of something. It is that something or lack there of that is the concern. It isn't about the nothing. It is about the something or lack of the something in the room. The nothing, which is essentially abstract, helps us to see that.

In the next visit to the room there is a chair and that is what commands our
attention. We have something and is definable by its'mass and the space that surrounds it. A great deal can be deduced from this. a single chair (something as opposed to nothing) identified? There isn't anything else? Nothing more?

The nothing like zero in math helps us gives us a picture of reality that we can work with to achieve some goal. I am not talking on a subatomic level. Nothing and zero are abstract concepts and in their use should never be misconstrued or misused as real tangible entities. From my own observations I believe it is here where I think that confusion starts.

The question, "Does nothing exist?" is sorta like asking if a square circle exists.

"Nothingness" is simply a grammatical construct used to denote the absence of everything...and cannot, by definition, "exist"...just as, by definition, a square circle cannot exist.

"REALITY" (whatever IS) is different insofar as whatever actually does "exist"...MAY BE so complex as to be beyond human ability to understand or define it.

Asserting that what we humans sense (or can identify)...is the REALITY...is an absurdity.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 09:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
To assert that an "empirical basis" is superior to anything else when discussing REALITY...is equally absurd.
layman

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 09:45 am
@Frank Apisa,
Just curious, Frank...it there a reason why all of your posts are in bold. It "sounds" like you're shouting, ya know?
FBM

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 09:48 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Just curious, Frank...it there a reason why all of your posts are in bold. It "sounds" like you're shouting, ya know?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/coffeescreen.gif This has been mentioned before. Wink
argome321

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 09:51 am
@layman,
Quote:
Somebody should tell that to the "physical" theorists who present "string theory" as "science," eh, Arg? The same goes for many other branches of what is presented as "physical science" these days, which is really just math combined with speculation about things with no empirical basis whatsoever.

LOL, man don't get me started.

I guess with the competition and the pressure for grants, for prestige, for reputations and ego we've come to this, seemingly foregoing in many cases the process of the scientific method.

I Believe Schrodinger was somewhat saying the same thing in his though experiment to some degree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat
JLNobody

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 10:22 am
@fresco,
When I suggest that math describes our thinking processes more than that which we are thinking about I am ultimately referring to something occuring in the "us-world". Thanks for that. I guess math is like language in that regard. Both can refer to real and to unreal referents. At my age such problems have risen above me. I know: excuses, excuses.
0 Replies