The Void and the Absolute Oneness of the Universe

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 10:23 am
@Relinquish,
Relinquish wrote:

The main point I'm trying to make here is that Reality is not actually the vast multiplicity and diversity of objects that it seems to be, or any other kind of 'thing'.

There is ONLY Reality itself, and It is nothing. It is non-local, sizeless, shapeless and durationless. We could call it 'The Void'. Yet, as I said, in some way or other, it is actually the case that 'experiencing' IS UNDOUBTEDLY happening. That is to say, 'experiencing' can not possibly be an illusion. However, the objects that are apparently being experienced can't possibly be real, as they are all finite and temporary.

What's REALLY happening is what I would call 'pure experiencing'; the eternally choiceless and effortless experiencing OF 'The Void' BY 'The Void'.

So there isn't BOTH 'Nothingness/The Void' AND 'Pure Awareness'. These are simply two (or three) different names for Reality itself.

It should also be noted that Pure Awareness does need to (and therefore, has no capacity to) have any kind of 'memory'. It has no 'knowledge' of a 'past' or 'future'.

The main observation I would share here, Relinquish, is that you have fallen in love with this "theory"...and it has become more than a theory (one to be tested in whatever way theories like this can be tested for you)...and has become a truth that has been revealed to you and which you are revealing to others.

The non-duality aspect of the theory has lots of appeal...and it certainly appeals to many here. But it becomes for so many...NOT A THEORY...but rather the revealed truth.

Get away from that...and you will do your theory more good than travelling down this path I suspect you are traveling.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 12:00 pm
We all seem to have our personal brand of confirmation bias. These fora may allow us to examine our inner selves more closely.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 11:30 pm
@layman,
Yeah, that was it. Sorry if I offended; I try not to be snotty.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:12 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Dissenters from a thesis of non-duality do not understand that words can only point to your position. They cannot describe it anymore than words could describe to a non-swimmer the experience of swimming in the sea.

Y'know, i've seen you use this metaphor on other occasions, and while its not inelegant in its formulation, i'm not quite sure what you intend it to do with it (metaphor being a purposeful us of language , and all).

Do you think there is something ineffable about swimming that somehow corresponds to non-duality and/or meditation? i assume so. However, swimming is entirely effable; it is, after all, taught to children of all ages. Its description, while it might perhaps be best served by a broken down explanation, involves both a description of the mechanics of the act and the sensations of the aqueous environment.

i'm not entirely sure what a "non-swimmer" is, but i suspect that its an abstract creature of your own invention; theoretically and/or congenitally and/or emotionally incapable of contact with fluids. By the same token, i'm not entirely sure that "dissenters from a thesis of non-duality" are any more define-able, but their arguments might be.
layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:28 am
@Razzleg,
Quote:
i'm not entirely sure what a "non-swimmer" is, but i suspect that its an abstract creature of your own invention;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbSCSHzXkrI
fresco

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:53 am
@Razzleg,
The metaphor is one which seeks to differentiate between "the descriptive" and "the experiential". The latter involves coalescence between observer and observed...it has a dynamic emotional/visceral dimension as well as an intellectual one. It is ineffable in the same sense that our involvement with a piece of music is transcendent of a physical description of the sound.

What is "intended" is a gentle, yet simplistic assertion that "either you get it or you don't". You get it if "you've been there"...in which case it is "self evident".

No doubt it has aspects in common with the concept of "epiphany", but without the theistic connotations. It involves the dissolution of "self" without the religious submissive aspect. It tends to be transient in the sense that the everyday dualistic world of transactions tends to rapidly re-assert itself. We emerge from our "swim" more enlightened about the nature of our holistic relationship with "the world".

Here's a quotation from Von Glasersfeld citing (the biologist) Maturana's non-dualistic approach to language and observation.
Quote:
The comprehensive conceptual flow-chart that Maturana often shows during his lectures, has on the left (from the audience's point of view) the break-down of explanation with objectivity, and on the right side, explanation without objectivity. Whether, in one's own describing, one chooses to be on the left or the right side is, according to Maturana, a matter of emotion. As far as knowledge and language are concerned, the left side must cling to the belief that knowledge can capture objective reality and that language can refer to and signify it. The concept of objectivity that Maturana has in mind, is dependent on this belief. Maturana himself, if I have understood him correctly, does not share it, and places himself unequivocally on the right side, where objectivity is discarded ("put in parentheses") and the only realities possible are realities brought forth by an observer's operations of distinction.

http://www.oikos.org/vonobserv.htm
fresco

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 02:22 am
@layman,
...crumbs for the birds.
http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah99/davidrs1/vult2_zpsjrtxet8h.jpg
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 05:51 am
@Relinquish,
I'm not a philosopher So please excuse me if I misconstrue your post or what I say offends you. Sometime I like to analyse ideas by parsing the language.
You use terms like Zero and Nothing and equate them as if the are something physical. you use terms like orderly with out showing that indeed that this process has some order to the universe, or perhaps you might enlighten me in your opinion how this order works in this universe. To me, and again I apology if what I say offends, but your post sounds a lot like sophism. I may need to be corrected here, but I think terms like these, zero and nothing etc, are used in the abstract, intangible terms which are helpful when trying to understand the world in which we actually, tangibly live in.
we know math is abstract,that a number can be divided infinitely, but yet math helps us to built homes etc. We do not live in the gray areas that abstract thinking allows us to venture into mentally. Our actions are in real time, in the real world I believe.

There isn't a Roman numeral for zero, yet The Romans were great engineers.
Science was handed a great tool when the Arabs added zero to their numeric system.
So abstract thinking could advance by leaps and bounds because we had...no, we have a way to look at the universe as if we were standing outside it looking at it objectively. We are looking in from the outside metaphorically speaking. I think math is the abstract language of science. I think, believe and feel with a great deal of certainty that the scientific method is the only way, to some degree, we can learn bout existence and our place in it and realize that we are part of it.

To say that we are zero, in this sense and context of nothing, has no meaning and presents a conundrum. Don't you have to do the math sort of to speak? Don't you have to refer to something, to make that comparison using nothing or the empty space to distinguish between objects? Don't we use language to communicate our thoughts?

As far as consciousness I know Danial Dennett a great modern day philosopher writes about consciousness. And what of Neuroscience and their findings about understanding consciousness? What ever conclusions they draw they use something to make these assessments about something, this something is our Universe, which is not about nothing.

And what about the existential Philosopher Jean Paul Sartre and his writings about "Being and Nothing", since you seem interested in this subject?

Again, these are just a little of my own jumbled and humbled thoughts.

Thanks for letting me rant and vent and ramble on. LOL

layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 06:04 am
@argome321,
Quote:
You use terms like Zero and Nothing and equate them as if the are something physical.

Reification, hypostatization, they will get us to our destination. Rah, Rah, Rah.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 06:45 am
Fresco wrote:

Quote:
@Razzleg,
The metaphor is one which seeks to differentiate between "the descriptive" and "the experiential". The latter involves coalescence between observer and observed...it has a dynamic emotional/visceral dimension as well as an intellectual one. It is ineffable in the same sense that our involvement with a piece of music is transcendent of a physical description of the sound.

What is "intended" is a gentle, yet simplistic assertion that "either you get it or you don't". You get it if "you've been there"...in which case it is "self evident".

Yeah, Razz...this is Fresco saying about his religion what fundamentalist Christians often say about theirs. You either know that GOD exists...or you don't. But once GOD reveals himself to you...it is self-evident!
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 06:45 am
@Frank Apisa,
Sarcasm and irony intended!
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 10:57 am
@layman,
Quote:
hypostatization

Good one.

I was trying to say that the author of this post was ascribing the characteristics of the instrument that he was using to observe and define his subject which is a mistake.

It is like looking at a culture in a petri dish through a microscope and describe the culture you are viewing with the characteristics of the microscope.

Terms like zero, nothing and horizons; which is an imaginary line, a demarcation to give us reference points, so we can distinguish and make distinctions and about and identify the items we are discussing and give those items definition.

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:14 pm
@Relinquish,
Relinquish wrote:

Hi guys. Smile

The following is essentially my 'theory of everything'. I just felt like sharing with you, and would love to know what you guys think of it.

Smile

My theory of everything is - what is, is.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. Mark Twain
fresco

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:29 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:

Smile You're singing Frank's song ! You'll have him dancing with you if you are not careful !
Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:33 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:

Smile You're singing Frank's song ! You'll have him dancing with you if you are not careful !

It's better than saying what is, was.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. Mark Twain
fresco

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:40 pm
@Rickoshay75,
“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”
― Mark Twain
JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:59 pm
@fresco,
The literate who chooses not to read is much worse off than the curious illiterate.

What about What isn't isn't. Rolling Eyes
argome321

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 04:30 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
The literate who chooses not to read is much worse off than the curious illiterate.

I'll just watch the DVD Smile
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 05:45 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
Terms like zero, nothing and horizons; which is an imaginary line, a demarcation to give us reference points, so we can distinguish and make distinctions and about and identify the items we are discussing and give those items definition.

Right, I hear you. Like what Kant might call a category of understanding, eh? Purely conceptual, and not a thing in itself. Just a "condition" which makes understanding possible:

Quote:
In Kant's philosophy, a category is a pure concept of the understanding... It is the condition of the possibility of objects in general, that is, objects as such, any and all objects, not specific objects in particular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_(Kant)
layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 05:48 pm
@argome321,
Quote:
I'm not a philosopher...

I don't know what you are, but you are articulating your thoughts a lot better than some famous "philosophers" that I've come across.
0 Replies