Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

oralloy

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2020 03:13 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
How will these subsidies be funded?

Taxes on the rich.

hightor wrote:
The MAGAsaurus certainly isn't going to raise taxes.

I don't agree with Republicans on all issues.

Incidentally I'm neutral on Singapore. I raise the subject because it's not true that the Republicans have no plan, not because I'm in favor of changing to the Singapore model.

Neutral doesn't mean that I'm against the Singapore model either though.

hightor wrote:
The subsidies for the ACA are another cruel joke if you happen to make enough to stand on the other side of the "cliff" and get nothing.

I know. I get no subsidies myself. I have ample first hand experience paying for full price plans.

hightor wrote:
If Democrats win big they should address this.

Music to my ears. That is something that I would be very happy to see happen.

Hopefully they will do that if they win, instead of trying to violate the Second Amendment for no reason.

I've had to resort to off-marketplace* silver plans over the last few years because the Republicans' war on Obamacare has raised gold plan premiums to more than $1,000 a month. I'm not very enthusiastic about having a $2,000+ deductible and would love for gold plans to become affordable again.

*Off marketplace because of the "silver switch" thing.

hightor wrote:
What role will there be for private insurance companies?

They provide catastrophic coverage.

hightor wrote:
How will they be compensated for the pre-existing conditions requirement, an obvious risk for them?

The obvious solution to me is to make coverage mandatory for everyone, with stiff fines for noncompliance. I realize that some people say that this is unconstitutional.

I don't think the people who say that mandatory coverage is unconstitutional understand that they are paving the way for a single payer system if they get their way.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2020 04:10 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The obvious solution to me is to make coverage mandatory for everyone, with stiff fines for noncompliance. I realize that some people say that this is unconstitutional.

You are talking about an individual mandate, which was part of ACA until Trump's tax cuts effectively repealed it last year.

A Texas federal judge (Republican, appointed by Bush) did declare the mandate unconstitutional, and Trump agreed with the judge.
Quote:
The reasoning of the ruling states that in 2012, the Supreme Court upheld the mandate to have coverage because of Congress's power to tax. But, last year, Congress removed the fine for failing to comply with the mandate, which, he argues, means the mandate is no longer a tax and therefore is unconstitutional.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/421511-federal-judge-in-texas-strikes-down-obamacare
BillW

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2020 04:31 am
@Rebelofnj,
Republican logic is that things, stuff, decisions, ideas, requirements, laws, etc; are only Unconstitutional if they are Democratic! ......and, we must not bring into the conversation that they were first initiated, passed, argued for by the Democrats.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2020 05:34 am
@oralloy,
On a related note, here is a portion of last night's 60 Minutes interview (the one Trump left early on) that showed White House press secretary, Kayleigh McEnany giving the the reporter Lesley Stahl a heavy 1000+ page book that is said to be Trump's health care plan. Stahl quickly went through the book, but it appeared to have several blank pages.

"It was filled with executive orders and congressional initiatives, but no comprehensive healthcare plan."

https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1320516604216643584
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2020 05:44 am
@oralloy,
You do know, I suppose, that Singapore's universal healthcare coverage is financed by individuals and NHS-like taxpayer's money. (In the early years of independence, Singapore just carried on with the system they had had as colony: British NHS)
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2020 06:19 am
Republicans dealing with Obamacare...are like kids kicking over sandcastles because they are jealous they cannot build one.

And for sure, they cannot. All they want to do is to destroy what the Democrats were able to build.

https://i.vimeocdn.com/video/802800090.webp?mw=1000&mh=563&q=70
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2020 08:52 pm
Quote:
The Bloom is Off The Ruse – Ivanka Trump Draws Larger Crowd Than President Obama in Florida…

Quote:
If the support levels for campaign surrogates is any evidence of support levels for the top of the ticket candidates then President Trump is about to crush Joe Biden in Florida.

Biden’s biggest name campaign surrogate, former President Barack Obama, was campaigning today in Orlando; a massive geographic metropolis with a significant population (over 2.5 million) eligible to attend the rally. Meanwhile Ivanka Trump was campaigning in Sarasota, a much smaller area with a population of only ¹433,000.

[The population of Sarasota, ¹the entire county, is six times smaller than Orlando.]

Despite the difference in population, a massive crowd shows up to see Ivanka Trump (in a small market), and only about 100 people showed up to see former President Obama (in a major market). That is quite a contrast. LOOK:

Pics at link.
Where is all that support for Biden the media talks about?

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2020/10/27/the-bloom-is-off-the-ruse-ivanka-trump-draws-larger-crowd-than-president-obama-in-florida/
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2020 11:48 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
You do know, I suppose, that Singapore's universal healthcare coverage is financed by individuals and NHS-like taxpayer's money. (In the early years of independence, Singapore just carried on with the system they had had as colony: British NHS)

I didn't know it until recently. But I learned it when I read the article that Neptuneblue posted on the previous page.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 10:49 am

https://i.imgur.com/IMde4V7.jpg
coldjoint

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 11:17 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/IMde4V7.jpg

What is Biden's number? About 27,000 emails that prove he is corrupt? Throw in 1 whistle blower.
snood

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 11:33 am
@coldjoint,
No comment about all of Trump’s numbers, just go right to the emails, huh? Deja vu.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 11:52 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

No comment about all of Trump’s numbers, just go right to the emails, huh? Deja vu.

Those numbers are not accurate and some are probably just made up. The Lincoln Project is a joke and its executives are thoroughly corrupt. So corrupt even George Conway quit them. Also none of them has to do with the corruption that is Joe Biden. It is all but proven and the censorship has backfired.

Deja vu will be Trump winning his second term.
snood

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 12:03 pm
@coldjoint,
Just skip over all of Trump’s corruption and talk about someone else’s.

Typical.

If deja vu is Trump winning, what will you call it when he loses?
vikorr

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 12:45 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/28/could-supreme-court-decide-winner-us-election-trump-biden-2020-explainer

Quote:
Trump, for one, is unable to see any conflict of interest in having a justice whom he just installed potentially deciding his political fate.

“I don’t think she has any conflict at all,” Trump said. “It would be totally up to her.”

Seems a very clear conflict of interest to me. And most Australian judges excuse themselves over even minor relationships, let alone deciding the fate of the person who hired them.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 02:10 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
So corrupt even George Conway quit them.

George quit for the same reason Kellyanne quit the **** show at the White House - their daughter sued for emancipation. But you do you.

coldjoint

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 02:19 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Just skip over all of Trump’s corruption and talk about someone else’s.

Typical.

If deja vu is Trump winning, what will you call it when he loses?

Fraud.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 02:21 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

coldjoint wrote:
So corrupt even George Conway quit them.

George quit for the same reason Kellyanne quit the **** show at the White House - their daughter sued for emancipation. But you do you.

Don't worry they(Lincoln Project} are still a bunch of hacks capitalizing on the hate for Trump that they continue to promote, without Conway.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 02:23 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/28/could-supreme-court-decide-winner-us-election-trump-biden-2020-explainer

Quote:
Trump, for one, is unable to see any conflict of interest in having a justice whom he just installed potentially deciding his political fate.

“I don’t think she has any conflict at all,” Trump said. “It would be totally up to her.”

Seems a very clear conflict of interest to me. And most Australian judges excuse themselves over even minor relationships, let alone deciding the fate of the person who hired them.

The Senate hired her, not Trump. He appointed her, which is all he can do.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 02:25 pm
@coldjoint,
You lied about his resignation.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2020 02:31 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

You lied about his resignation.

How do you know that was not one of his reasons for leaving? Are you a mind reader?
Quote:
NY Post: Lincoln Project Founders Have Russian Ties, Tax Woes

Russians = bad.
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/lincoln-project-never-trump-john-weaver-steve-schmidt/2020/07/21/id/978311/