Does "That tilt toward the practical" mean "that inclination toward the practical use"?

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 12:11 pm

Context:

BUDGET 2016 COVERAGE: A roundup of Obama's science spending request

The Obama administration presented its budget request to Congress on 2 February for the 2016 fiscal year. It calls for about a 6% increase in R&D budgets, but basic research would get just about 3%. That tilt toward the practical worries some researchers.

Lab on a chip turns smart phones into mobile disease clinics

Researchers have designed a cheap, easy-to-use smart phone attachment that can test patients for diseases like HIV and syphilis in just 15 minutes, and it only uses a tiny bit of power: A fourth-generation iPod Touch could screen 41 patients on a single charge.

Electric fields deliver drugs into tumors

Chemotherapy is a mainstay of cancer treatment, but most of the drugs are toxic and have a hard time penetrating tumors. Now, researchers have figured out how to use electric fields to drive chemo compounds specifically into tumors, dramatically increasing the drugs’ concentration and shrinking the tumors.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 441 • Replies: 6
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2015 05:47 am
@oristarA,
No one would like to answer this?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 08:03 pm
@oristarA,
I would say tilt and inclination basically mean the same thing in this context. But in the context you cited, I might also read a element of implied shift, or change.

One can be inclined and/or one can become inclined (or more inclined than he was). I don't know the facts, but I would be led to assume (without concluding for certain) that this particular budget was "more" inclined toward R&D than the prior one.

If you "tilt" something (like a glass of beer), there is often an element of "action" and change involved. But it can be used as either a verb or a noun (a static orientation), as far as I know.

As far as the "use" element of your question goes, yeah. Practical use or practical "allocation." But it could mean something else, I suppose. Obama might have, for example, allocated more to one item than another for "practical" reasons of a different nature (such as getting more votes). But I don't see that as being suggested here.
oristarA

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:48 pm
@layman,
Cool. Thanks.
I wonder what is your native language, Layman, if you don't mind.
American English?
layman

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:51 pm
@oristarA,
Basic American, Oris. I actually prefer to leave "English" to the candy-ass limeys, know what I'm sayin?
oristarA

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 12:16 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Basic American, Oris. I actually prefer to leave "English" to the candy-ass limeys, know what I'm sayin?

Leave "English" to the sheepish Brits. Your expression sounds arrogant and barbarian, Layman.

I'll stand for those decent Brits; Stephen Hawking, Charles Darwin are British, who deserve respect. If you dare to insult them, I'll fight you, even if you helped me in some English language questions. I mean it; don't ask for it.

And in this forum, Contrex and McTag are British as well, whose English is better than yours.
layman

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 12:23 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
If you dare to insult them, I'll fight you,

Just havin a little fun, Oris. Any limey out there feel insulted?

There is an underlying point, though. The Brits have something of a reputation for being linguistic sticklers who insist that language useage be "proper."

In constrast, American vernacular is much more casual, much less "precise," and much less concerned with "form" (as opposed to substance--i.e., simply getting your intended meaning across in a pragmatic way).
0 Replies