Gout

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:24 am
Does anybody here have or know someone with Gout Authoritis? I've been diagnosed with it recently and I have to say it is one of the most painful experiences that I've ever had. It started in my big toe 3 days ago and that went away, now it's in my ankle of the same foot. I was able to tolerate the pain when it was in my toe but once it hit the ankle It was teeth grinding eye watering painful and I finally decided to buy crutches.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have the disease and how you cope with the pain, how often you have an attack and what meds you are taking for it.

They gave me something called INDOMETHACIN 25mg that I take 2x daily. It doesn't really seem to help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,268 • Replies: 12
No top replies

msolga

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:41 am
No, I don't have it. But I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you are going through this. It sounds very difficult to live with. Good luck!
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:00 am
Yes, my partner suffers from it. Allopurinol is the generally accepted best preventive drug. My mate can only take a very low dose of it because of other conditions he has but it has still lessened the attacks he has had. Prednisone works wonders to cure an attack but doctors are reluctant to use it as a first resort.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 06:15 am
Diet is important:

http://arthritis.about.com/cs/gout/a/foodstoavoid.htm
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 06:50 am
My father had it. Said it was the most painful episodes of his life.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:00 pm
You need to watch your diet and try to eat foods, low in purines. It's the purines that lead to the uric buildup and the pain.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:36 pm
In practice, the avoiding purines thing, hasn't been much help to my partner. Sometimes he gets attacks regardless and other times he can eat all the wrong things and not get an attack.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:41 pm
Eve wrote:
In practice, the avoiding purines thing, hasn't been much help to my partner. Sometimes he gets attacks regardless and other times he can eat all the wrong things and not get an attack.

Gout

By Kirk A. Koepsel, D.P.M.

Editor, PodiatryNetwork.com

Description

Gout is caused by abnormal metabolism of substances called purines that result in the accumulation of uric acid in the blood stream. Purines are a by-product of cell break down. When the excretion of the uric acid is hampered the accumulated uric acid in the blood stream causes crystalline deposits to form in joints or in the soft tissues. When this happens, there is a sudden onset of extreme pain with associated swelling, redness, and increased warmth to the skin or joint. Classic gout occurs in the big toe joint. It also commonly occurs in the knee joint. Rarely is it seen in more than one joint at a time. Uric acid accumulation in other joints and areas of soft tissue is less common. When gout presents in these areas it, may not be recognized as gout by the treating doctor.

Diagnosis

As the crystalline deposits form in the joints and soft tissue, the uric acid levels in the blood stream can return to normal. Blood tests taken during an attack of gout may demonstrate a normal uric acid level. This can make diagnosis more difficult, and the physician must rely on his or her clinical experience to make the diagnosis. Other areas that gout may present itself are the tops of the foot, the heel and the ankle joint. In the chronic form of the disease, called tophaceous gout, the repeated deposition of uric acid will from nodules about the joints and tendons. These nodules can spontaneously open and drain a chalky like substance. An attack of gout can resemble an infection. An elevated temperature may also be present. This is worrisome to the physician because an infection in a joint can be a very damaging event. Some doctors may wish to take a sample from the joint so that it can be analyzed for gout and cultured for bacteria.

Treatment

Treatment often consists of both medications for gout and for infection. Immobilization of the foot with a removable cast or the use of crutches is useful. Once the proper medication is prescribed the symptoms of gout will start to subside quite rapidly. Left untreated the clinical course may take several days for the gout attack to subside.

Factors that contribute to the onset of gout are alcohol, red meats, asprin and certain medications for high blood pressure. Gout occurs most frequently in men. Women will not get gout until after menopause unless they have had a hysterectomy. Patients with long standing diabetes who may have kidney damage due to their disease, and patients who have kidney disease from other causes can develop gout. These patients may exhibit atypical forms of gout. In these instances, more than one area may be affected; the tops of both feet, for example, may develop gout.

Typically the onset of gout is sudden and intense. Frequently, the patient will go to bed feeling fine and wake up the next morning in excruciating pain. The attacks can become recurrent, and over time cause permanent damage to the affected joint (arthritis). Recurrent gout should be treated with medication to reduce the blood uric acid levels. The most common medication used is Allopurinol. This medication should not be started during an acute attack. If this medication is given during an acute attack it will make the condition worse. Acute attacks of gout are treated with a variety of prescription anti-inflammatory drugs.

Are you sure, your friend has gout?
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:21 pm
Absolutely - he is in the category of long term diabetes with kidney damage. I recently read a medical report that gave the opinion that purines did not play as big a part as previously thought and as I said, we have found it to make little difference. But another acquaintance never had another attack after he cut out eating beans so I presume personal metabolism comes into it.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 10:29 am
Eve wrote:
Absolutely - he is in the category of long term diabetes with kidney damage. I recently read a medical report that gave the opinion that purines did not play as big a part as previously thought and as I said, we have found it to make little difference. But another acquaintance never had another attack after he cut out eating beans so I presume personal metabolism comes into it.

While purines are the biochemical source of uric acid, anything that reduces kidney function, will lead to elevated blood levels of uric acid. As you are aware, kidneys are affected by long term diabetes. It's likely, that other metabolites, besides uric acid, are elevated in the blood, as well, as a result of diabetes-mediated kidney failure.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 12:29 am
Thanks for all of the info. I believe that it's mostly hereditary for me because there's people on both sides of my family. Except I got it a lot younger (33) than them. I've never really eaten very healthy, but many of the things they say not to eat like organ meats, mushrooms, cauliflower, etc are things that I don't really eat anyway. Someone told me that milk can cause an inflammation. I do drink way too much of that, about a gallon every two days. I do eat a lot of red meats, I can go days eating only meats, and lots of fast food. I used to drink a lot of red wine but I don't touch the stuff anymore and haven't for a long time. But I have a hunch that that contributed to bringing it on so young.

I haven't read anywhere else that milk can affect Uric Acid levels though. Has anybody heard anything about milk and dairy products?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:34 am
The level of purines in milk is probably minimal, relative causing dramatic increases in blood uric acid levels.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:12 pm
The foods we have been told to avoid or limit are red meat and especially offal, nuts, shellfish, sardines, alcohol, beans and legumes.
0 Replies