scooting a ways

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 09:17 pm
Is it an error or what?

"It's been a great day," Bush said after sailing to the ground, landing and scooting a ways on his backside. "This was a day of joy and a day of wonder for the Bush family, certainly for the old guy."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 563 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Wy

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:50 pm
Bush landed on his posterior ("backside"), and "scooted," or slid and bumped forward a short distance before coming to a stop -- probably due to the momentum of his landing.

I'm glad he did it.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:06 am
Wy is correct about the meaning but i would add that this is slang or poor English (even poor American!).

It would be better stated as .......landing, and sliding a short distance on his backside.

"a ways" basically mean nothing! Rolling Eyes and "scooting" generally means running away quickly.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:43 am
Cool Bo! But Wy is absolutely correct in the meaning.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 03:50 am
Be careful what you read, Oristar, instead of English you might be learning to write Texan which is something entirely different.
For example:
&nbsp&nbspone does not push a button in Texas, you mash down on it.
&nbsp&nbspOne does not walk, you mosey.
&nbsp&nbspOne does not sit awhile, you sit a spell.

Or consider this scene:
A grandmother calls her progeny in to celebrate her husband's birthday:

American : "Children, come into the house, grandfather is about to cut the cake while you sing."

Texan: "Youngins! Ya'll git your little butts in here right now before I wale the skin offen ya. Pap's gotta knife the cake and ya'll gotta sing."

The difference is subtle, I agree, but it is there, lurking in American writing, especially in news items from Dallas-Ft. Worth.

Smile
Joe
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 05:05 am
Oristar- Following up on what Joe said, there are many regional differences in speech across America. In some cases, it is merely a matter of accent. In others, there are certain regionalisms that are hardly intelligible to people from other areas of the country.

In addition, there are words and expressions that have been popularized by different groups; prisoners, musicians, the drug culture. etc. Because of television, the media, and now the internet, many words that had been confined to one group, have integrated into mainstream English.

I live in the state of Florida. It is the only state in the US which is located in a subtropical area. As a result, a large percentage of people who live here have retired from other parts of the US, and moved here, for the weather. When I first came here, I was bombarded with people who all had different accents, and used expressions that were peculiar to the area from which they came. It took me awhile to understand it all!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 06:57 am
Okay okay, I've got what has happened.
Turn to get blessing from Standard English, or I would be bombarded fiercely Razz
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:03 am
Oristar, you are fast becoming my favorite poster.
0 Replies