Adjective Function

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:41 pm
Hi, experts!

I'm studying for a difficult exam, and I came across this question:

Analyze the underlined words in the given sentence from the text and identify the one that DOES NOT function as an adjective: "Although these lines of research have often remained separate from one another , the combination of their diverse theoretical and methodological strengths [...] calls attention to the fact that identity in all its complexity can never be contained within a single analysis."

The answer given by the professor was "another". I really don't understand why. Do you think the way the question was written was misleading, specially considering the use of the word "adjective" in this case?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 402 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:58 pm
@brazilianengstudent,
Your professor is absolutely right.

An adjective is a word that modifies another word. 'These' modifies 'lines.' 'Their' modifies 'strengths'. 'All' modifies 'complaints.' "Another' modifies nothing. In this particular sentence, in fact, it serves as an abstract noun.

There's nothing wrong with the way the question was written. What's wrong here is the use of that particular sentence as an example of the use of adjectives. I agree with you that it's somewhat unfair.
brazilianengstudent

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 07:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thank you very much!
0 Replies