Are the Democratic and Republican conventions relevant

fishin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 06:17 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Neither Boston nor New York is going to lose money on the conventions. A lot more money is going to be generated for NY and Boston businesses (and thus citizens) than the amounts paid by the cities for services provided.

I would not be surprised if Boston wastes money on services and is incompetent in the providing of those services, but it should still be a financial gain for the area.

"Should" is the operative word there. Unfortunately, in the case of Boston at least, businesses are basically being told to shut down for Convention week and I don't know anyone that plans on working in the city. Everyone I know that works in Boston proper is taking vacation and leaving the area.

When the mayor was trying to draw the convention here he was promising an added $250 million in revenue and taxes. As of today (actually, yesterdays news reports) they are $50 million in the hole and are now just hoping to break even.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:03 pm
This is true, Au.
Fishin, have a little faith!
And I know quite a few who will continue working in Boston. They made alternative transportation arrangements some time back.
ummm, did anyone not see a transportation problem looming a year ago?
I do think it sucks that some people will not even have the opportunity to work, though.
Life in the "big" city.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:11 pm
Fishin
Maybe they will have learned their lesson and not try again to hold such a large event in such a small provincial hamlet such as Boston. The home of the Red Sox. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:14 pm
I think people anticipated "transportation problems".

They didn't expect that the main highway running through the heart of the city would be closed entirely from 8 miles north of the city limits to 12 south of of the city limits on the other end (imagine NYC closing I-95 from White Plains to Newark! Nevah gonna happen.), that all airports within 35 miles of Boston would be closed except for regularly scheduled flights into Logan Apt, that the subway system and commuter trains would be stopped outside of the city, that major city streets would be blocked off for 10 blocks all around the convention site, that using boats on the rivers and in the harbor would be eliminated, that the water taxis would be out of service, etc... Of course, those are just the things we've been told about so far. They still have a month to decide to close up more things. Wink

Let's see, that leaves walking in and bicycling. Of course if you do either you are subject to random searches and ID checks and you have to justify why you are there.

Yeah, you're right. I have ZERO faith in this thing.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:28 pm
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Actually, Au's is much funnier! And much more realistic and believable. Way less hateful, too.
but then, c'est la vie.

You ARE trying to be funny here, right?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:43 pm
au1929 wrote:
Fishin
Maybe they will have learned their lesson and not try again to hold such a large event in such a small provincial hamlet such as Boston. The home of the Red Sox. Laughing Laughing Laughing

In all seriousness, Boston has tons to offer but it's poorly setup, as far as cities go, for this type of an event. The way the city is built it just can't absorb the security requirements as easily and any other city I can think of. That's just a result of it's historic nature.

I'd still take it over NYC any day though! Wink
0 Replies

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:49 pm
In the use of French only, McG.
I thought you'd appreciate that.
See, we not only adore saddam and hate the flag, we also love those french people you equate with the former!
Before you ask... um, yeah, I was trying to be funny there.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 08:04 pm
Fishin, Is Riverside closed?
There are ways to get in and out of town despite the current planned closings.
I know people with MR who have re-routed their commutes on public transportation. Funny thing, they're not even sweating it. I guess they already realize that occasionally, in life, there are inconveniences we must bear. we can grouse about 'em or do what we gotta do.
'Course, if it was the republican convention disruptin everything, I'd be pissed! Wink
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 08:44 am
PDiddie wrote:
This is the actual Texas Republican Party platform. I wish it were a joke:

Quote:
--Support for "the traditional definition of marriage as a God-ordained, legal and moral commitment only between a natural man and a natural woman."

--Support for state legislation that would make it a felony to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple and for any civil official to perform a marriage ceremony for a same-sex couple.

--Support for protection of all "innocent human life" from fertilization until natural death; urging the reversal of Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion.

--Opposition to government action to restrict, prohibit or remove from public display the Ten Commandments or other religious symbols.

--Denouncement of "any unconstitutional act of judicial tyranny that would demand removal of the words 'One Nation Under God' from the Pledge of Allegiance."

--Support for adoption of "American English" as the official language of Texas and the United States.

--Restoration of plaques honoring the Confederate Widow's Pension Fund contribution that were removed from the Texas Supreme Court and other state buildings.

--Support for legislation to allow forcible rape to be punished by the death penalty.

--Opposition to the legalization of sodomy. The platform states that sodomy "tears at the fabric of society, contributes to the breakdown of the family unit, and leads to the spread of dangerous, communicable diseases."

--Support for a state school choice policy that allows "maximum freedom of choice in public, private or parochial education for all children."

The Republicans in Texas have gone stark raving Bible-thumping gun-in-one-hand, flag-in-the-other waving, fire-and-brimstone breathing, wild-eyed, foaming-at-the-mouth mad.

And, like the rabid skunks they have come to resemble, need to be put down. And will be.

I can understand how a reasonable person might disagree with the elements of this platform, but to suggest it represents rabid insanity is far more extreme than any of the elements of the platform.

How do you plan to stop the Texas republicans?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 09:10 am
Diddie
Are you sure that is the platform of Texas and not the KKK ?
0 Replies