Are the Democratic and Republican conventions relevant

au1929

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 01:36 pm
Very shortly we the American public will be subjected to the spectacle of the Democratic and Republican conventions. Are they any longer necessary? The candidates have already been chosen and the platforms or lies of both parties will be repeated over and over in the media. It would seem that they have outlived their usefulness. What is your opinion? Do you think they are still relevant and if so why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,496 • Replies: 29
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 06:31 pm
The Democratic convention is about to be held here in Boston. It will close the expressway and make life a nughtmare for commuters and business owners. It will cost the city 50 million bucks and won't bring anything in return. Not only is it not relevant it's totally wastesful!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:09 am
They are publicity events. And they do bring something in return - vast amounts of media coverage.

I am sure that in advertising terms, they are worth every million.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:44 am
eBrown
Advertising for what and to whom? What will the convention do that 8 months or better of media coverage has not?
It is an event that it would appear has outlived it's usefulness.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:31 pm
You may be right. On the other hand, the conventions are when probably a large number of Americans actually start to give some thought and pay some attention to the upcoming election. If nothing else, it's continuing education, in a sense.

When I think of how many hundreds of milions are raised for this, it makes me shudder, though. We have so much money in this country, and still so many problems that could be solved if people donated it to more useful causes than election-year baloney and shenanigans. It seems a shame.

Nick, I have a little more faith than you, I guess!
I feel Boston will come out okay in this, and I feel that it is an honor, in any case, to showcase our city. I do wish they had spent more time and put more thought into the logistics of it, though.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:02 pm
The conventions are irrelevant to the process of the parties selecting their candidates, but would you prefer the alternative of the past: Smoke filled backrooms where the Party elite ignore the will of the party faithful as expressed during primaries?

The world is indeed coming to an end. Suzy and I agree for a second time within a 24 hour period.

All societies have their festivals and spectacles. The conventions are national spectacles and do serve to get the general public's political juices flowing.

The conventions are the the beginning of the stretch run for the candidates and amidst all of the staged production numbers insight into the principles and positions of both parties; both candidates will be available.

Neither Boston nor New York is going to lose money on the conventions. A lot more money is going to be generated for NY and Boston businesses (and thus citizens) than the amounts paid by the cities for services provided.

I would not be surprised if Boston wastes money on services and is incompetent in the providing of those services, but it should still be a financial gain for the area.
0 Replies

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:08 pm
Gasp! Grabbing chest, falling to the floor...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:19 pm
That's exceptionally noble of you.

Better that you keel over than the world ends. Cool
0 Replies

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:23 pm
Are those the only options?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:33 pm
JUST LEAKED!!!
Advanced copy of the Democratic National Convention Schedule:
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:02 pm
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
Are those the only options?

Boston could finally win the World Series, but that's much worse than either of the other options.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 04:06 am
This is the actual Texas Republican Party platform. I wish it were a joke:

Quote:
--Support for "the traditional definition of marriage as a God-ordained, legal and moral commitment only between a natural man and a natural woman."

--Support for state legislation that would make it a felony to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple and for any civil official to perform a marriage ceremony for a same-sex couple.

--Support for protection of all "innocent human life" from fertilization until natural death; urging the reversal of Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion.

--Opposition to government action to restrict, prohibit or remove from public display the Ten Commandments or other religious symbols.

--Denouncement of "any unconstitutional act of judicial tyranny that would demand removal of the words 'One Nation Under God' from the Pledge of Allegiance."

--Support for adoption of "American English" as the official language of Texas and the United States.

--Restoration of plaques honoring the Confederate Widow's Pension Fund contribution that were removed from the Texas Supreme Court and other state buildings.

--Support for legislation to allow forcible rape to be punished by the death penalty.

--Opposition to the legalization of sodomy. The platform states that sodomy "tears at the fabric of society, contributes to the breakdown of the family unit, and leads to the spread of dangerous, communicable diseases."

--Support for a state school choice policy that allows "maximum freedom of choice in public, private or parochial education for all children."

The Republicans in Texas have gone stark raving Bible-thumping gun-in-one-hand, flag-in-the-other waving, fire-and-brimstone breathing, wild-eyed, foaming-at-the-mouth mad.

And, like the rabid skunks they have come to resemble, need to be put down. And will be.
0 Replies

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 05:13 am
Those all-inclusive republicans!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 05:19 am
Quote:
Those all-inclusive republicans!

Nah, it's not that they are Republicans. It's because they are TEXAS Republicans. I think that Texas is in another world. Maybe they should break off and start their own country! Laughing
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 05:28 am
Phoe, we would all be so much better off if they would, but they can't have Texas, and there's no place left for them to sail off to, so they have decided they'll just take over the United States.

And it's up to people like me to stop them.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 06:45 am
I posted this previously in "what made me smile today" However since someone posted he democratic agenda I thought it was appropriate to post the republican one.

REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE.
CONVENTION SCHEDULE

New York, NY

6:00 PM Opening Prayer led by the Reverend Jerry Falwell

6:30 PM Pledge of Allegiance

6:35 PM Burning of Bill of Rights (excluding Second Amendment)

6:45 PM Salute to the Coalition of the Willing

6:46 PM Seminar #1 "Getting your kid a military deferment" (Cheney)

7:30 PM First Presidential Beer Bong

7:35 PM Serve Freedom Fries

7:40 PM EPA Address #1: Mercury, it's what's for dinner.

8:00 PM Vote on which country to invade next

8:10 PM Call EMTs to revive Rush Limbaugh

8:15 PM John Ashcroft Lecture: The Homos are after your children

8:30 PM Round table discussion on reproductive rights (MEN only)

8:50 PM Seminar #2 "Corporations: The government of the future"

9:00 PM Condi Rice sings "Can't Help Lovin' that Man"

9:05 PM Second Presidential Beer Bong

9:10 PM EPA Address #2 Trees: The real cause of forest fires

9:30 PM Break for secret meetings

10:00 PM Second prayer led by Cal Thomas

10:15 PM Lecture by Karl Rove: Doublespeak made easy

10:30 PM Rumsfeld demonstration of how to squint and talk macho

10:35 PM Bush demonstration of trademark "deer in headlights" stare.

10:40 PM John Ashcroft demonstrates new mandatory Kevlar chastity belt

10:45 PM Clarence Thomas reads list of black republicans

10:46 PM Third Presidential Beer Bong

10:50 PM Seminar #3 "Education: a drain on our nation's economy."

11:10 PM Hilary Clinton PiƱata

11:20 PM 2nd Lecture by Ashcroft: Evolutionists: The dangerous new cult

11:30 PM Call EMTs to revive Rush Limbaugh again.

11:35 PM Blame Clinton

11:40 PM Laura serves milk and cookies

11:50 PM Closing Prayer led by Jesus Himself

12:00 PM Nomination of George W. Bush as Holy Supreme Planetary overlord
0 Replies

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 04:40 pm
Au,
That's brilliant!
Enjoyed it very much!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 05:01 pm
Fedral wrote:
JUST LEAKED!!!
Advanced copy of the Democratic National Convention Schedule:

Fedral, didn't want to be left out!
That's brilliant!
Enjoyed it very much!
0 Replies

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 06:00 pm
Actually, Au's is much funnier! And much more realistic and believable. Way less hateful, too.
but then, c'est la vie.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 06:06 pm
Suzy

That is to be expected republicans are mean, evil and hateful people. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies