Reagan Legacy: Strong Against Communism, Weak Against Terror

Harper

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 05:55 am
opinion

Quote:
For Reagan, one point of potential vulnerability is Lebanon and the bombing of the Marine barracks in 1983. Withdrawing American troops after the death of 241 Marines seemed politically prudent in light of public opinion wary of involvement in that volatile region. Yet in the Middle East, some terrorists concluded that the United States would wilt in a crisis. If the war against terrorism drags on, this episode could acquire greater significance and alter the note of triumph that has dominated the past week. Success in the Cold War, which seemed so pivotal after Reagan left office, could come to be seen as something that was likely to have occurred in due course anyway. Victory or defeat in Iraq could also influence the way Reagan's presidency is evaluated. A protracted national debate over "Who Lost Iraq?" would detract from the historical Ronald Reagan, whose administration furnished military equipment and intelligence to Saddam Hussein.

It's ironic that as the Cold War ended, the War of Terrorism against us began. Critics could argue that Reagan helped begin the war of terror aginst the US by his weakness. I am baffled by this prediliction by many to canonize Reagan, he was likeable guy who pretty good President overall but in many ways a failure. In the opinion of Reagan aide David Gergen, (sp?) (source NPR) in several areas, he was completely detached. His failure to act on AIDS and HIV wasn't, according to Gergen, due to homophobia, he simply wasn't interested. He didn't even know what AIDS was until his friend Rock Hudson died of the disease, years after AIDS had been discovered. Had Reagan taken action to limit the spread of the epidemic in the early stages, millions of lives may have been saved.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 750 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 05:58 am
Hmm....despite the fact that I hate cut and paste, you may want to do that here, as it is a sign-up site that not everybody will want to do.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 06:10 am
cavfancier wrote:
Hmm....despite the fact that I hate cut and paste, you may want to do that here, as it is a sign-up site that not everybody will want to do.

Wow! You are quick this AM, I was editing in the pertinent quote and my comment while you posted.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 06:21 am
The argument can be made (the conservatives love to try to blame everything on the last Dem in office) that the roots of the world wide terrorism were planted in Reagans admin.
His indecisive handling of anything terror related and his splitting from Afghanistan and abandoning the Mujhadim, led to the rise of the Taliban and bin Laden. His admin bore the same flaws as does the present one. THEY JUST DIDNT UNDERESTAND STRATEGIC MOVES. Their window of planning was usually one week at a time.
hey welcome harper, its a little cold up here to be wearing basically nothin, but you carry it quite nicely. (I hope you aint a dude cuz then that would be very sick)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 06:34 am
I am guessing Grenada will go down as the highlight of Reagan's presidency. the invasion was mostly a kick the dog event consistent with conservative ideology.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 07:20 pm
The attempted assassination of a Lebonese Muslim cleric and the loss of innocent bystander's lives didn't help the cause either.
0 Replies