A Creepy film moment that gives you the shivers ..

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 03:54 am
Larry BS

Peter Lorre is an amazing creation! An original, spooky talent! Very Happy
No, I've never seen "M" ... Worth finding it, you say? Though it might be a challenge to find it on video, yes?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 04:04 am
Maybe not, it is one of those classics. Doubt my local store has it come to think of it, and the repeatedly aforementioned Turner Classic Movies is the only free movie channel I have that would show it -don't know about Oz. But come on over - I have it on tape! I'll even fix some popcorn. And I doubt it is the wide-screen version so you'll be alright!

Its really creepy.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 04:29 am
"Silence of the Lambs" still gives me the creeps when I think about it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 06:24 am
LarryBS

OK, I'm on my way! Very Happy
Hey, that Turner Classic Movies channel sounds really, really great! I'm envious!

seaglass

(pssssssst ... A confession: I've never had the courage to watch "Silence of the Lambs"! ... There are some films whose reputations are enough to frighten the wits out of you!)
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 06:58 am
Popcorn is cooking. Yes, TCM is a dream come true. They used to show almost all pre-1970 films, but now occasionally show great or obscure films of the 70s, 80s, and even a couple from the 90s. The first film they ever showed from the 90s was The Hudsucker Proxy, one of my favorites. Its a Coen brothers film.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 07:20 am
LarrBS

I don't know that one, though do know of the Coen Brothers. (It'd pretty difficult NOT to have seen a film or 2 by them!)
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 07:53 am
They have a gift - Hudsucker, Fargo, Raising Arizona, etc. etc.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 03:10 pm
Larry, I've seen M. Don't recall being scared. But I do recall it was very good.

Olga, Silence of the Lambs is a movie worth seeing. I was not scared at all. And the creepiness is all in the mind--more or less.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 03:22 pm
"M" isn't meant to be scary although Lorre is certainly creepy. There's a potent, insidious evil and not just in Lorre's character.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 08:34 pm
When Roman Polanski slits Jack Nicholson's nose in CHINATOWN with a switchblade, the sudden spurt of blood is more disturbing to me than any bloodbath Quentin Tarantino could ever stage.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 12:18 am
Yes, Polanski was definitely creepy in that film -- almost as creepy as Huston in every scene he appeared in. Huston's lament over Faye Dunaway's dead body was very disturbing and didn't fade away quickly (exactly what Polanski wanted regardless of the writer , Robert Towne, objecting). I was dismayed and shocked that he had apparantly prevailed (although I think everyone extrapolates that he will eventually get his just due).

If you're talking, for instance, about John Travolta's "accidental" shooting in the car in "Pulp Fiction," that creeped me out because I thought it was funny and then questioned myself as to why in the world that could be funny. Travolta plunging the gigantic needle into Uma Thurman's chest and having her bolt up alive like in some cheap horror film was horrifying -- and I also laughed. I guess you don't get Tarantino and may not want to but that doesn't mean there aren't those who do.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 12:55 am
roberta - Yes, I don't recall any "creepy moments," I just meant the suspensful atmosphere of the movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 01:42 am
Which film, LarryBS? Creepy means a sensation of uneasiness or fear and it can often mean repulsive as the personality (or lack thereof) of a character in the film, not necessarily what's overtly transpiring on the screen. If you don't find that with Huston or John Travolta, I don't know exactly how to explain.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 02:42 am
sorry, lightwizard - I was referring back to Roberta's earlier comment about "M".
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:27 am
larry r.

Yes, a heart-stopping film moment! Shocked
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:42 am
OK, Roberta, I'll give Silence of the Lambs a go ... But only coz YOU recommended it, mind ... Laughing
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:57 am
You'll love it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 05:03 am
Should I watch it in the day time? Laughing (Rather than during the wee small hours?)
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 05:11 am
Absolutely not. Turn out the lights and don't start watching until midnight. And watch the wide screen version so you can see the whole movie, not just half of it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 05:16 am
OK, then!!! I'll be brave! Laughing
Maybe I've been unnecessarily scared off by spooky reports of the film?
(I once had to go & lock all the windows in the house while reading Capote's In Cold Blood ... A long, time ago, mind ... Very Happy )
0 Replies