A Creepy film moment that gives you the shivers ..

Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 01:18 am
eoe, It is a kick. But I have to admit that I get annoyed when I'm prevented from entering or leaving my building because I want to do so during a "take."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 04:22 pm
Roberta

That's never happened to me!
Obviously a famous location you live in!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 06:19 pm
Olga, Not so famous. There are some gorgeous town houses across the street from me. Very photogenic.

Life in the Big Apple--there's always something going on.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 11:57 pm
<sigh>
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 09:55 am
Ditto that sigh, Ms. Olga.

Roberta: The next time you can't leave your building because a film is in production, stamp your foot, yell, jump up and down, and tell the head of production, you want a part in that movie, or else. ...
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 09:57 am
It sounds like Roberta pays a lot of cash on rent/mortgage!!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 01:58 pm
When I was a kid I listened to my Grandma telling a friend about a movie where a woman was killed taking a shower. It must have impressed her very much because she told it in great detail. And I was totally scared when taking a shower for months after that. Years and years later I realized that she had been talking about Psycho. And it still scares me...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 02:08 pm
Hebba, Not by New York standards. I've been in this building for over thirty years. People in the same apartment as mine (above and below) pay two or three times what I pay. Hah!

My apartment is rent-stabilized. I'LL NEVER LEAVE!!!

Raggedy--That would be un-New Yorky of me. We take such inconveniences in our stride. Barely notice. I have never once acknowledged in any way other than a look all the famous people I've seen. That's the New York way. I'm a native.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 02:20 pm
Roberta: I understand. I just wanted to see you in a movie. Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:03 pm
Raggedy, Should there be yet another film on my block, I'll mention this to the director. "Raggedy wants to see me in a film." That ought to get me in, don't you think?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 10:45 am
Roberta: On second thought, maybe you should just stamp your feet and yell. Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 11:58 am
Raggedy, I'm not the foot-stamper type. But don't worry. I'll think of something. Smile

Olga, Remember the scene in Poltergeist when the guy's face comes off. That creeped me out the first time I saw it. But when I saw it again, it looked phoney.

Just remembered yet another scene that actually did frighten me. I think the movie was The Haunting with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom. (If I'm wrong, Raggedy will let me know.) The scene was in Julie's bedroom. The spirit was trying to get through the door, and the solid door stretched like rubber, revealing the rough outline of a face. Cer-eepy. Shocked
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 01:50 pm
Though it wasn't a truly scarey film, "Diabolique" (the original) gave me the greatest fright I ever felt in a movie theater. Albeit, it's an old technique, but when the submerged "corpse" popped up from the bathtub. I let out a real shriek. I specified movie theater since I had the same experience once at a stage production of "Death Trap".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 02:52 pm
Ah, yes -- flyboy. The bathtub scene and I think it's now a scare technique owed to that film. The decapitated, rotting head in "Jaws" scared me out of my seat. Not to mention, we saw it in Hawaii and were going snorkling the next day. Yikes!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 03:55 pm
Flyboy, I bet the actors in Deathtrap loved that! Nothing like a live audience to spice things up...

LW, I remember screaming at that moment in Jaws when the head appears underwater - I'd forgotten about it until you described it!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:46 pm
Ooowweeee!!! I'd forgotten that scene in the original "The Haunting," Roberta. That was creeeeepy!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 08:02 pm
Several scenes in Robert Wise's black-and-white (which made it even creepier) "The Haunting" gave the the authentic willies.

The one Roberta mentioned (which was copied by Disneyland in the Haunted Castle ride) and:

Julie Harris thinks she is clutching Claire Bloom's hand. The light comes on and Claire is across the room. Harris stares at her hand in horror.

The metal spiral staircase which is threatening to collapse as Harris ascends to the ceiling. A trap door opens and the missing wife who has gone mad appears.

The cold spot in the center of the house.

The final forbodding shot of the house which had become a living entity gave be major chills.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 03:37 am
Yup, The Haunting was one spine tingler of a movie. Maybe the scariest I've ever seen.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 03:41 am
Ah, Roberta, I never saw it! So I can't comment ..
But maybe REAL LIFE is scary enough for me? Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 03:46 am
I don't know if I've mentioned it here or not, but if you like older black and white movies, and don't mind subtitles, the German movie "M" with Peter Lorre is a doozie.
0 Replies