A Creepy film moment that gives you the shivers ..

hebba

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:36 am
Msolga.I saw your thread in the index and thought of "Don´t Look Now" straight away.I see we agree with eachother on that one.By the way,it´s an old woman but I´m sure you´ve been corrected already.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 05:00 am
hebba

An old woman! Didn't know that. But it's been ages since I've seen it. Just remember this evil, wrinkled person who I assumed was a man. (Any idea as to the motive for the killings?)
Great movie, yes?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 06:30 am
fbaezer

Now, I remember that scene you mentioned from O Lucky Man! .... but I saw it a long, long time ago & the details are hazy.
I can also recall another scene that really made me squirm: an attack on a girl or young woman .... the scissors, cutting the fabric from her T shirt, exposing her breasts.
That was certainly a very disturbing film, wasn't it?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 06:48 am
I watched a video of Chinatown last night. I hadn't seen it for years. Anyway, that moment when the Polanski character slashes Jack Nicholson's nose really hurt! I felt his pain & shock. Shocked
Also that tragic & very spooky ending when John Huston "comforts" his grand-daughter after her mother (Fay Dunnaway) is shot and killed while trying to escape from him. Goose bump material!
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 09:31 am
Ahh but is it creepy?
That ol´ woman in the red mac´ keeps coming back to me.I get cold just thinking about it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 12:10 pm
John Huston was creepy through the whole film -- the epitome of the perverse dirty old man. The revelation at the middle of the film and that final scene just twists that knife in Jack's nose. An indictment of the worst kind of evil present in our society -- that evil often protected by stature and power.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 04:47 pm
hebba

It was definitely creepy for me! I've never seen the "nose" scene right through, just have to turn away in horror! Shocked As for John Huston in Chinatown: Creepy in a very different way to the red-hooded woman in Don't Look Now: His intentions were so totally clear & so frightfully shocking to observe. A marvelous portrayal of evil from Huston!

Lightwizard

The fact that Huston's corruption was "condoned" by a very corrupt society made the film even more sinister, I agree. And made Nicholson's character all the more poignant, for his basic decency & powerlessness to do the right thing in the circumstances. Helpless in the face of shocking abuse of power by a very perverse old man, who clearly felt that he had the right to do ANYTHING he desired to get what he wanted. Now if that's not goose bump stuff, what is? (Shudder, shudder!)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2003 11:21 am
Marathon Man--the teeth drilling scene was unnerving for me. It put my friend under the seat.

Wait Until Dark--Alan Arkin's character leaps from the floor like a leopard. I gasped.

When I was a child, I remember being frightened by a scene in the Canterville Ghost--the old version with Charles Laughton. I was sitting and watching the movie on tv with my parents. The ghost appeared in a doorway casually holding his head under his arm like a football. Scared me. Shocked That was the end of that movie for me that night. I watched it again years later. Couldn't understand what has scared me so much the first time.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 06:34 pm
"The Bad Seed." I checked the entire thread to see if anyone mentioned this movie and no one has. I have a very hard time watching it alone. There are a couple of creepy scenes but the one that stands out for me is when that little witch sets poor ol' Leroy on fire in the basement and plays the piano while he's screaming and being burned to death. They don't show anything but you hear his bloodcurdling screams and the people struggling to get him out of the basement. What an intense scene.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 04:46 am
Roberta

I have never attempted to watch Marathon Man. The promos of the drilling scene were enough to put me off! Ugh, childhood memories of the dentist's chair! Shocked

eoe

Oh, that sounds AWFUL!!! Shocked Poor Leroy!, Poor people watching, who'll probably be permanently traumatized by the experience!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 12:48 am
Olga, In the opening scenes of Marathon Man, there's a car "chase" which passes my building before it comes to an end. My block has been in other movies, but that's the only one that my building managed to get into.

eoe, I saw the Bad Seed last night. Scene you mention was INTENSE. Creeped me out.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 06:32 am
Roberta

Really? I must watch it then ... but switch off before the dreaded drilling scene! What other movies has your block featured in?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 12:47 pm
Little Rhoda got hers in the end tho, didn't she Roberta?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 01:56 pm
Hiya Olga, My block has been in Jimmy Blue Eyes with Hugh Grant and James Caan. (I didn't see the movie, but I saw the filming of the movie.) And the new Spike Lee movie with Edward Norton. I wish I could remember the name of it. I actually saw Spike strolling to the corner.

eoe, Rhoda got it in the end, but it was not as satisfying as if she had been found out and punished. But dead is dead. The Bad Seed came out when I was a child. It was one of the few movies my parents wouldn't let me see. Maybe they were worried I'd get ideas.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 01:57 pm
Hiya Olga, My block has been in Jimmy Blue Eyes with Hugh Grant and James Caan. (I didn't see the movie, but I saw the filming of the movie.) And the new Spike Lee movie with Edward Norton. I wish I could remember the name of it. I actually saw Spike strolling to the corner.

eoe, Rhoda got it in the end, but it was not as satisfying as if she had been found out and punished. But dead is dead. The Bad Seed came out when I was a child. It was one of the few movies my parents wouldn't let me see. Maybe they were worried I'd get ideas.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 02:25 pm
Hi all. Just stopped by to add my goose bumps and agree with you all about the Bad Seed and the Marathon Man. And the Omen . And remember that scene in The Boys from Brazil, when Laurence Olivier and Gregory Peck were in the room with the dog. I was horrified. That was creepy. (Gory, too.)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 02:27 pm
Roberta, the new Spike Lee movie is The 25th Hour.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 02:33 pm
Thanks, Macsm. I had a feeling that it was the 25th something. My brain used to be functional. Now, you'll just have to take my word for it.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 02:38 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 03:50 pm
When I attended Parsons in NYC many years ago, my dorm was 1-5th Avenue, right across from Washington Square Park. It's been in tons of movies. "When Harry Met Sally" and "Barefoot in the Park" to name two. It's such a kick.
0 Replies