A Creepy film moment that gives you the shivers ..

fbaezer

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 12:47 pm
That scene in Don't Look Now is terrific, in both senses of the word.

The scene that has scared me the most is in Lindsay Anderson's O Lucky Man!.
Malcolm McDowell volunteers as a guinea pig in a lab. He talks to a shivering mate, uncovers the sheets and... my soul stood up hastily and ran out of the theatre.
McDowell's character did the same thing, he ran through the hall and threw himself off the window. It was the only logical thing to do, IMO.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 02:53 pm
As far as film, The Exorcist did a major number on me. I didn't see much after her 360 degree head spin. After feeling as if I'd walked into hell, by the time that scene came around, that was IT for me. I was a mess for six months.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:13 pm
The scene in the Exorcist where Regan is floating above the bed and suddenly her leg opens as if slashed by the knife.

I wasn't expecting it at all. I had quite enjoyed the goryness of the movie up to that point but when that happened I screamed so loud that people threw popcorn at me!

I have heard The Shining is such a great movie and I cannot understand it because I've never been able to watch it all the way through - I found so boring! I don't understand why it is so raved about.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:19 pm
Or this one really made me cringe. It's not a creepy movie, but instead Richard Harris in "A Man Called Horse". I almost threw up when he was being hoisted off his feet, via the claws dug into the flesh on his chest.

Now I know this is a popular thing to do to oneself these days but I really will puke if I keep my eyes open around anyone doing that! Ripleys show people doing it and I've caught a few shows where people do it and I just want to wrap my head around a toilet bowl when I think about it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:22 pm
Heeven- Funny that you should mention that. I saw a clip of that scene, and it bothered me so badly that I refused to see the movie.

Years ago, there was a "Believe it or Not" exhibit in New York. There was a lot of sadistic type stuff. After I went there once, I avoided the place like the plague!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 03:28 pm
I can understand getting pierced and all that, but literally HANGING by those piercings? That is so gross!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:40 pm
I haven't seen the movie in more than 20 years, but the little red piggy eyes outside the window in Amityville Horror still give me the willies.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 05:44 pm
Children of the Corn forever ruined the rural Midwest for me. I think. Actually, maybe I would feel that way even if I'd never seen the movie, since Jaws also came out when I was a kid and the only thing that scares me in the ocean is the very real threat that I'll do something stupid and drown myself. Yep, it's not the movie, it's the Midwest. Never mind!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 06:26 pm
"Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte" when someone chops off his head and hand--the music with each blow--Yeeikes!--and then later when the head rolls down the stairs, but especially when, after dumping his body in the lake, he reappears at the top of stairs. Bette Davis is mumbling incoherently, and is finally completely out of her mind. The crashing mirrors is scary, too.

I love the dinner scene when Bette Davis and her cousin go at it. What a cat fight!

Favorite line: "Ruined finery, that's all that's left to me now."

I also like the scene in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" when Bette Davis serves her sister a bird. You think it's her sister's pet bird in the dish.

Bette Davis is the queen of scary.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 06:29 pm
I still get chills when I think about that scene in "The Others," when the medium is writing on her paper and the kids are yelling: "We're not dead! We're not dead! We're not dead!"
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 06:43 pm
I just love horror/thriller flicks so, Im having a hard time at the moment picking out just one!
Some great examples already here from childhood that creeped me out though...Jaws, The Shining, Alien...the one that stands out I guess is the original Evil Dead, for some reason that one scared me at the time. So did Helter Skelter but, I snuck seeing that when I was like 10..silly me.
Halloween...the music from that alone gave me shivers for a few years.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:04 pm
quinn

Helter Skelter at 10! You must have been scared witless about evil adults after that!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:26 pm
Here's one from a long, long time ago:
Blind Terror, with Mia Farrow. She's blind (& very delicate & vulnerable) & wandering innocently around this large house. Little does she know that there's a killer in there with her! (we never see his face, just his evil, black boots! Twisted Evil ). She also doesn't realize that he's been killing off the family, one by one. - there are gruesome, staring corpses all around the place. She often narrowly misses them while walking around.
At one point she decides to take a bath (cut to the bloody corpse in bath tub).. She turns on the water (cut to lots of blood red water escaping from the outside drainpipe) ... THEN proceeds to get into the bath! Shocked I'm not quite sure what happened after that: Like everyone else in the theatre (all women), I was too busy screaming in horror & averting my eyes to see what actually happened. And clutching onto some total stranger! My friend was doing the same.
This was the afternoon session. When the film ended & the lights came back on, we all laughed at ourselves & each other, half-sheepishly & very relieved that all that suspense had come to an end.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:27 pm
creepy!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:33 pm
Yes, creepy. But pretty funny (from a distance, anyway).
And it had a happy ending ... The Man of Her Dreams saved her & JUST the right moment! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:41 pm
wow, I've never even heard of that movie!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:49 pm
It might be available on video, littlek.
Just the thing if you want to scare yourself silly one night. Very Happy Oh, I recommend company when watching it!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:59 pm
Nooo thank you. I'm not one for scary movies, my gore-imagination is way to good as it is. I blame all the horror movies I saw as a kid/teen. Now I watch horror spoofs. I still have a hard time eating pudding.... yech.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:02 pm
Very sensible, littlek! I'm much the same, actually.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:06 pm
My favorite spoof was filmed in NZ, I think. Dead Alive. That's when I got queesy about pudding.
0 Replies