alliteration

Letty

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 06:12 pm
Deb, put that in the portal. I had forgotten how haunting Joyce was. Most people only think of Ulysses.

Neoquixotic? Love that handle. Tilt away at those windmills, and should you like, paint us a picture akin to el Greco.

Sorry, off in a another world of art and poetry.

Goes off saying--Maggie and Millie and Molly and Mae.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 07:28 pm
Letty, just to be pedantic, it's not just the beginning consonant but can also be the stressed syllables.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 07:38 pm
Heehee - I had to look that up - I am ashamed of myself - I always thought it was only initial sounds - and that, for instance, that the rustling in Craven's curtain was assonance.

I found one definition that allowed consonants within the definition of assonance, but only one. Vowels it is.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2004 08:35 pm
Pedantry becomes you, Craven. Quite frankly, I don't give a flying frigate. It's only prosody, anyway.

The main beauty in the spoken word is the sound of it....what you hear is what you get. Cool
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 12:57 am
BoGoWo wrote:
first i don't know if "yous" was a typo, or mistake but, there is no such word; 'you' is both singular and plural (no 's').
!]

i am so shy to make such kind or typo.
BoGoWo wrote:

second; what is the context of your question; where did these word pairs come from?

this is from a book for the preparation of gre vocabulary test. but i do not guarantee it's exactitude.

BoGoWo wrote:

[and something i have not suggested previously; get yourself a 'good' (sizable) version, of the Oxford English Dictionary, and refer to it constantly, and your questions may fade away. - if you have a Websters dictionary, throw it away, now!]

unfortunately i do have a Websters. Embarrassed so i think i need try to find some bucks
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 01:14 am
the book puts it as follow: to efface blazon is similar to remove alliteration. but i just feel this is an awkward explanation.
btw, i know little about prosody.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 02:37 am
Me neither, but I wouldn't put it past Letty to make one up. We used to do that all the time on ravensrealm.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:22 am
Neoquixote wrote:
...... gre vocabulary test..........(???)........
unfortunately i do have a Websters. Embarrassed so i think i need try to find some bucks

open your Websters at any page, and look over the full content;
somewhere on that double page, you will find a word defined by itself! Rolling Eyes
toss it! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:26 am
letty's 'prosody' is perfectly correct, and applicable; it refers to "the patterns of rhythm, and sound, used in poetry", quoted from Oxford.

[warning: never mess with Letty's vocabulary; it'll be a cold day on Daytona Beach before you catch her out!]
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 01:18 pm
ah, Bo. Thanks, TO! <smile>

Sooooo, Neo. You're preparing for the GRE's? There is another option. It's called Miller's analogy test (I think), but we need more information.

The only thing that saved my arse gettin' in UVA was the vocabulary section of the GRE. My math scores were very poor. Fortunately, the dean of admissions relented when I just told him, "Hey, one either knows math, or they don't."

Rog, Did I make things up on the Realm? Good for me. Smile

One funny experience that I had in teaching when I taught scansion of poetry, was talking about iambic foot. One kid said, " What does I am big foot have to do with this dumb stuff?"
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 07:11 pm
Smile i would never worry about math, but vocabulary section of the gre could really kill me. i'll try my best. thanks guys.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 10:22 pm
Letty wrote:
.......One funny experience that I had in teaching when I taught scansion of poetry, was talking about iambic foot. One kid said, " What does I am big foot have to do with this dumb stuff?"

Letty; when you are measuring an iambic foot, do you use a 'pentameter'? Shocked Idea
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:00 am
give me an example of pentameter, please.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:39 am
Good morning, neo. Bo was being facetious, but actually, iambic pentameter is just one method of measuring the rhythm of a poem.
Here is a link:
http://www.abwag.com/iambic_pentameter.htm

Let's assume there are folks out there who can't sense the rhythm of a poem, such as a limerick.

Example of a limerick:

There once was a lady from niger,
Who smiled as she rode on a tiger
They returned from the ride,
With the lady inside,
And the smile on the face of a tiger.

To get the rhythm of the poem, you must think, stressed and unstressed:

There ONCE was a LAdy from NIger.
Who SMILED as she RODE on a TIger
They reTURNED from the RIDE
With the LAdy inSIDE
And the SMILE on the FACE of the TIger.

When you read that, the words or syllables in capitol letters are called stressed. The rest are unstressed.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:24 am
Don't worry, Letty is used to being 'stressed' in the early morning!

[it's related to the occupancy of the sleeping accommodations]
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:30 am
Very Happy
0 Replies