America Circa 2015: The Nation that FOLDS in the Face of Adversity

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 07:59 pm
A big storm is coming...."SHUT DOWN THE TRANSIT SYSTEMS, CRIMINALIZE DRIVING!" says the government. The concept of the people dealing with bad weather, being able to deal with a snowstorm without dying, is WAY outside the box.

America, a nation with a government that is willing to deprive its citizens of its rights at the drop of a hat, with SAFETY! always as the excuse.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 979 • Replies: 7
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 08:27 pm
http://www.eclectablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/SnowPlow.jpg
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 08:29 pm
@maxdancona,
point is?
RABEL222

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 09:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
Pointing out what a stupid post yours was.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 11:54 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
National Weather Service failed to staff and now plans to phase out an elite team of emergency forecasters trained to help cities save lives and avoid the kind of unnecessary shutdowns that cost New York City an estimated $200 million last week, according to meteorologists.
"There's no question we would have had a different outcome if these programs were in place," Proenza told NBC News. "Why unnecessarily close the city when in reality we can make other adjustments?"

Dan Sobien, an ERS in Tampa, who was also instrumental in launching the program, said the value of these forecasters far exceeds the cost. A complete national network of 402 emergency meteorologists would cost about $50 million a year, according to a copy of the original proposal obtained by NBC News. But Sobien, who is also the president of the NWS Employees Organization, thinks we'd see a national impact for half that much. That would equal a tenth of the economic loss New York City suffered in the recent blizzard, and a fraction of the billions lost to extreme weather every year.

"It would probably pay for itself every week," he told NBC News. "Certainly if another Sandy happened, it would pay for itself for the rest of our lives, and our kids lives, and our grandkids lives."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/blizzard-15/how-national-weather-service-cost-east-coast-millions-n297031

We Americans are very stupid about resource management. This is arguably the major driver of our decline.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 01:33 pm
You talk about how stupid we all are (except you, I guess)...and about what you see as the consequences of our stupidity on our nation's place in the world...

...and then you wonder why people react the way they do to your posts, Hawk.

You shouldn't be wondering. You should be thinking...and perhaps better expressing whatever your frustrations drive you to express.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 03:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

You talk about how stupid we all are (except you, I guess)...and about what you see as the consequences of our stupidity on our nation's place in the world...

You shouldn't be wondering. You should be thinking...and perhaps better expressing whatever your frustrations drive you to express.

We as a nation can not fix our problems till we acknowledge them. First things first, and keep your priorities straight....people liking me is not important, fixing our problems is.

And the estimate of the shut down costing $200 million seems low to me, I would like to see some work ups on just what this bit of stupidity cost us.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 05:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

We as a nation can not fix our problems till we acknowledge them.

I acknowledge them; many people on A2K acknowledge them; huge numbers of people in the public domain acknowledge them.

Stop thinking you are so special or insightful, Hawk.

Quote:
First things first, and keep your priorities straight....people liking me is not important, fixing our problems is.

I'm thankful that "people liking you" is not important...because if it were, we'd be lost.

Quote:
And the estimate of the shut down costing $200 million seems low to me, I would like to see some work ups on just what this bit of stupidity cost us.

Probably a lot less than if the error had been made in the other direction.

The motto should be: Err on the side of caution...even though you know the Monday morning quarterback will be doing their petty sniping.
0 Replies