Why in the world would Einstein suggest....

FBM

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 01:27 am
@layman,
If I didn't say that I meant it in a relative sense, I suppose I assumed it would be understood due to the context of the discussion. Anyhoo, I'll try to be more precise in my statements.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 01:47 am
@FBM,
I'm familiar with the "light clock" illustrations, FBM. Let me ask you a couple questions about them, though.

Take two people, A, on the railroad "embankment" (earth) and B, a passenger on a moving train. Each has his own light clock.

1. When A looks at B's clock, what does he see and (more importantly) how does he interpret what he sees?

2. When B looks at A's clock, what does he see and (more importantly) how does he interpret what he sees?
FBM

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 04:59 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

I'm familiar with the "light clock" illustrations, FBM. Let me ask you a couple questions about them, though.

Take two people, A, on the railroad "embankment" (earth) and B, a passenger on a moving train. Each has his own light clock.

1. When A looks at B's clock, what does he see and (more importantly) how does he interpret what he sees?

As I understand it, he will see B's clock running slower than his. How he interprets it would depend on whether or not he was aware of time dilation, I think. By the time you get someone geared up to travel at or near c, though, I'm pretty sure they would've been educated about it. Wink

Quote:
2. When B looks at A's clock, what does he see and (more importantly) how does he interpret what he sees?

Same as above, switching A for B?
layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 05:13 am
@layman,
I said:
Quote:

I then went on to ask you two questions. My intent was, after getting your answers, to then ask you what ASSUMPTIONS you were basing your answers on. Then ask you where those assumptions came from, and then ask you whether, if your assumptions had been different, your answers would have been any different.

Instead, I will try to shortcut that drawn-out process (although this will not be nearly as instructive as if YOU had given me your answers (after thinking them through and then articulating them---not as easy as it sounds).

Previously you took information about light clocks from this site: http://galileoandeinstein.physics.virginia.edu/lectures/srelwhat.html

So lets look there. Notice that, before any real discussion starts, he tells you that "]The one thing he’s sure of is that it ["it" being the light in Jill's frame] must be moving at c = 186,300 miles per second, relative to him—that’s what Einstein tells him."

Think about that for a minute. He is presupposing the absolute truth of Al's "light postulate." Could you (or he) have started with a different assumption? Sure. You could have with an AST assumption which would have been just the opposite, i.e., that "the light in Jill's frame is NOT moving at c relative to him."

Nothing the guy says after this could possibly serve to in any way support or prove Al's light postulate. It's already been assumed. So it would just be begging the question to say that what you deduce from what you assume proves what you assumed to begin with.

But let's go on. What else is assumed here? Well, skipping the details for now, he concludes that "Jill is aging more slowly because she’s moving!" So it is necessarily assumed that Jill IS MOVING to reach this conclusion.

Let's go on. Then he says:

Quote:
But this isn’t the whole story—we must now turn everything around and look at it from Jill’s point of view. Her inertial frame of reference is just as good as Jack’s. She sees his light clock to be moving at speed v (backwards) so from her point of view his light blip takes the longer zigzag path, which means his clock runs slower than hers. That is to say, each of them will see the other to have slower clocks, and be aging more slow

So here we have the opposite assumption, i.e., that Jack (NOT JILL) is moving. This is not the statement of a "fact" anymore than was Jack's assumption stated as a "fact." It is MERELY an assumption, i.e., how one will "see" the other.

Is either assumption warranted? Are both warranted? Can both assumptions be "fact" as opposed to mere assumptions? Can each clock ACTUALLY run slower than the other?

What would Jill "see" if Jill assumed (as Jack did) that she is moving? Would she reach the same conclusion?

It will not help to say "both are correct." They can't both be correct in any meaningful way. At least one of them must be mistaken.

Tautologies are empty. Saying "A is A" (i.e, because A assumes he is motionless then he will "see" himself is motionless) says nothing of substance. Neither does saying "B is B"

Keep in mind that the whole premise is that there REALLY IS relative motion between the two. Therefore the whole premise NECESSARILY implies that they cannot BOTH be at rest.
layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 05:18 am
@FBM,
I was composing my post (which follows) while you were composing this one. Let me address this one now. You say:

Quote:
he will see B's clock running slower than his

That just a conclusion, not an empirical observation. He will "see" a beam of light, travelling in a "zig-zag" pattern (and no more) right? Only "interpretation," NOT the observation, can lead you to this point: " he will see B's clock running slower than his."
layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 05:41 am
@layman,
Before we leave this Fowler guy (one of the most sophistic SR advocates I've run across, btw) let's see what he says next:

Quote:
That is to say, each of them will see the other to have slower clocks, and be aging more slowly. This phenomenon is called time dilation. It has been verified in recent years by flying very accurate clocks around the world on jetliners

This can be extremely misleading: The statement " each of them will see the other to have slower clocks, and be aging more slowly" has been disproved, not proved, by jetliners, etc. Time dilation has been proved, sure, but this "reciprocity of effects" has NOT. It has been disproven (if there was ever any legitimate question that it "could" be true).
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 05:48 am
@layman,
a) That's not where I got those images. It was the Wiki on time dilation. I should have posted the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

b) What do you mean he sees light travelling in a zig-zag pattern?

c) As far as I can tell, taking the speed of light to be constant as an axiom in order to solve certain problems is a step away from saying that it's an absolute truth. If an alternative comes along, it will be rigorously challenged, as it should be. If it works better than SR in more cases than SR works better than it, then it will eventually be accepted. Einstein's cosmological constant was dug out of the academic rubbish bin for this very reason.

In my experience, thoughtful scientists are aware that their axioms are tentative. Similarly, when I say something like 'A's clock will appear to tick more slowly than B's,' I'm not actually talking about any belief I have; I'm just reflecting my understanding of time dilation, about which I have suspended judgement.
layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 05:55 am
@FBM,
Quote:

What do you think A sees if he's looking in B's direction (with respect to the two diagrams you posted)?

c) "As far as I can tell, taking the speed of light to be constant as an axiom in order to solve certain problems is a step away from saying that it's an absolute truth." Sure it is (a step away). The point is two-fold:

1. Fowler presents it as something Jack KNOWS FOR SURE (why is he doing that?) and
2. It's question-begging to think his light clock explanations confirm, support, or have anything to say about the light postulate. It's already been presupposed.

Quote:
In my experience, thoughtful scientists are aware that their axioms are tentative.

Could be (many aren't that thoughtful). But my point is not about what Fowler may or may not personally "be aware of." My point pertains to what is being presented to students, and the manner it's presented in.

layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:04 am
@FBM,
Quote:

I'm looking at the wiki page you cited. It shows a triangle, but the point is the same. I said "zig-zag" because these types of illustrations usually show more than one up and down cycle, which then forms a "zig-zag" pattern.
FBM

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:08 am
@layman,
c) My understanding of how the eye works is that it passes through the pupil in a straight line, hits the retina, etc. How could anybody see light travelling in a zig-zag?

c.1) If he's saying Jack knows for sure, then he's not considering the possiblity that Jack may be a physicist or at least science-literate. Jack may observe Jill's clock and (like scientists do with GPS satellites and whatnot) factor in time dilation.

c.2) True. It's taken as axiomatic. If it works better than any other system, then why ditch it? It's only appropriate to ditch it when something better comes along. In the meantime, continue picking at it in order to find possible ways to improve it. I don't see the problem.

If I were to teach future science/physics teachers instead of future language teachers, I'd strongly emphasize that they maintain an awareness of the inherently tentaive nature of current theories and pass that awareness on to their students. I wholeheartedly agree and share your concern that far too many scientific findings are taught as the final answer. That is a great failing in the educational system, not necessarily in the science itself. I distinguish between the two. (Those who can, do. Those who can't...oh, ****. I teach. Nvm.)
FBM

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:09 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

I'm looking at the wiki page you cited. It shows a triangle, but the point is the same. I said "zig-zag" because these types of illustrations usually show more than one up and down cycle, which then forms a "zig-zag" pattern.

But the perceiver of the light isn't going to experience that...
layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:11 am
@FBM,
Quote:

Why not? What do you even mean? Which "perceiver?"

Maybe we're not even talking about the same thing. I don't know. You posted two diagrams and said you saw "no error." What "error" would anyone expect to see (or not see). How are these diagrams relevant to anything?
layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:25 am
@FBM,
Quote:
If it works better than any other system, then why ditch it? It's only appropriate to ditch it when something better comes along.

Well, I'm not sure why we're even having this discussion now. You avoid almost all my questions, and then just pose your own. I've already said why, on several occasions. I can do it again, if you want. But we never finish any issue, just avoid it and raise a new one. It will go nowhere at that rate.

Quote:
(Those who can, do. Those who can't...oh, ****. I teach. Nvm.)
Smile
FBM

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:25 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

Why not? What do you even mean? Which "perceiver?"

Maybe we're not even talking about the same thing. I don't know. You posted two diagrams and said you saw "no error." What "error" would anyone expect to see (or not see). How are these diagrams relevant to anything?

Either perceiver in either frame. The light is going to enter that person's pupil in a straight line. It's not going to ziz-zag. The diagrams are a representation of a view from an imaginary omniscient perspective, not that of either person in either frame.

I saw no error in the mathematical representations in those diagrams. (I'm no adept, but years ago I had trig and calc classes, not to mention the studying I did on my own.) When I look at those diagrams, I can't find any such errors. Maybe someone with a fresher memory could.
FBM

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:28 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
If it works better than any other system, then why ditch it? It's only appropriate to ditch it when something better comes along.

Well, I'm not sure why we're even having this discussion now. You avoid almost all my questions, and then just pose your own. I've already said why, on several occasions. I can do it again, if you want. But we never finish any issue, just avoid it and raise a new one. It will go nowhere at that rate.

Quote:
(Those who can, do. Those who can't...oh, ****. I teach. Nvm.)
Smile

From my reference frame ( Wink ), you're posting faster than I can keep up with. I'm not dodging anything. I'm trying to keep up, but I'm also trying to catch up at the same time. That's why I earlier asked you to simplify and post as if you're talking to an idiot. You did, briefly, but now you're back at top speed and by the time I educate myself enough to respond to one question, you've already asked 10 more. Confused

How about not jumping to conclusions about personal biases, motivations and other qualities about the other person and just take a step-by-step, mutually respectful approach? At a pace that is comfortable for both? We're not working against a clock here. (see what I did there? Wink )
layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:29 am
@FBM,
Quote:
c) My understanding of how the eye works is that it passes through the pupil in a straight line, hits the retina, etc. How could anybody see light travelling in a zig-zag?

The diagram you posted shows a triangle pattern (in one of the two frames). Is that something an observer would "see." If not, what it is? What WOULD an observer see?
layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:30 am
@FBM,
Quote:
From my reference frame ( Wink ), you're posting faster than I can keep up with. I'm not dodging anything.

OK, sorry.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:34 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

The diagram you posted shows a triangle pattern (in one of the two frames). Is that something an observer would "see." If not, what it is? What WOULD an observer see?

The diagram is a lateral, cross-sectional view of an imagined 3rd-party, omnisicent view. Observers A and B (or whatever) are embedded in the diagram and not privvy to the omniscient perspective. They would (presumably) see everything the same way that you see what's coming from your monitor: as an ongoing event or series of perceptions. Just normal images of things and happenings. Not light zig-zagging about.
layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:36 am
@FBM,
Quote:
I saw no error in the mathematical representations in those diagrams. (I'm no adept, but years ago I had trig and calc classes, not to mention the studying I did on my own.) When I look at those diagrams, I can't find any such errors. Maybe someone with a fresher memory could.

Hmmm. OK, the "math" is correct. So what? How does that math relate to anything?

The light clock in presented as something an observer would actually see, in the typical case. Wiki "says" this:

Quote:
Observer moving parallel relative to setup, measures longer path...

What "path" is being "measured," do you think?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 06:38 am
@FBM,
Quote:
The diagram is a lateral, cross-sectional view of an The diagram is a lateral, cross-sectional view of an imagined 3rd-party, omnisicent view

I don't think that's what's being presented at all. There is no "cross-sectional view of an imagined 3rd-party, omnisicent view."

I think wiki itself makes this clear. It also says this:

Quote:
From the frame of reference of a moving observer traveling at the speed v relative to the rest frame of the clock (diagram at lower right), the light pulse traces out a longer, angled path

It's the "longer, angled path" that I was calling "zig-zag."