Why in the world would Einstein suggest....

dalehileman

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 11:19 am
@layman,
Quote:
Well, Dale, that could be. but I don't see how it's relevant to my question. The question was about which one (between the earth and the train) is moving with respect to the other
Forgive me Lay but I still don't quite comprehend the q. I had thought in my reply that I had expressed the idea that the q is meaningless unless one assumes a stationary ref. As I said, we can manufacture an arbitrary ref, eg, a point of average minimum velocity for everything, but it would be valid only for an instant

Quote:
Whether they are moving with respect to, for example, the Sun, doesn't enter into the question
I don't recall even having mentioned the Sun and have no idea how it could enter into the discussion. Unless you mean for it to represent that arbitrary "stationary" ref; but I don't see how that makes any more sense than my version

I am continually amazed st the volume of misunderstandings for which a2k is notorious
layman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 08:18 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
A person who initially is stationary with respect to the Earth, but then accelerates for awhile, and then stops accelerating moving at a positive speed with respect to the Earth cannot be said to be "really moving." All you can say is that he is really moving with respect to the Earth.

Which is all that's been said. We've been through this about 3 times now, Brandon. No one is talking here about "absolute motion" is the sense you are using it.

I've already explained what "absolute motion" means in the context of SR.

WITH RESPECT TO EACH OTHER, once again

WITH RESPECT TO EACH OTHER

if two objects are moving relative to each other, they cannot BOTH be motionless. At least on of them has to be "really moving"

WITH RESPECT TO THE OTHER.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 08:21 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

This is false. That is exactly what he said.

Brandon, if you are that positive that he said it, then you must know when and where he said that.

Care to share, or is that information just your little secret?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 08:31 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Forgive me Lay but I still don't quite comprehend the q. I had thought in my reply that I had expressed the idea that the q is meaningless unless one assumes a stationary ref.

What question, Dale?

Would you say, Dale, that if no stationary reference point from which to judge "absolute motion" can be detected. then that means all motion is impossible?

I wouldn't. Nor would Al. Or Newton.

What do you even intend when you use the term "meaningless/" I have addressed the difference between "unknown" and meaningless several times in this thread.

As I said at the outset:
Quote:
The question was about which one (between the earth and the train) is moving with respect to the other

It seems to me that both you and Brandon do not distinguish between relative and absolutely absolute motion.
parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 08:40 am
@carloslebaron,
Quote:
When you move the atomic clock to an environment other than the one where it has been calibrated, the atomic clock will malfunction.

How does the clock malfunction? Do you even know how an atomic clock works? Simply claiming it is malfunctioning doesn't prove anything. You have to tell us how it specifically is malfunctioning.

Is the clock somehow malfunctioning to cool the atoms to less than absolute zero?
Is the clock no longer reading the oscillations of the atoms?
What is the precise mechanism that you are claiming is malfunctioning?

For extra points you can explain why every clock malfunctions the exact same way and is predictable based on the relative speed.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 10:24 am
man o man

People get real! Relativity is one big hoax!!!

Quote:
On March 25, 1984, Louis Essen wrote Carl Zapffe about Einstein's special theory of relativity:
My criticisms were, of course, purely destructive, but I think the demolition job was fairly complete.
I concluded that the theory is not a theory at all, but simply a number of contradictory assumptions together with actual mistakes.
The clock paradox, for example, follows from a very obvious mistake in a thought experiment (in spite of the nonsense written by relativists, Einstein had no idea of the units and disciplines of measurement).
There is really no more to be said about the paradox, but many thousands of words have been written nevertheless. In my view, these tend to confuse the issue.
One aspect of this subject which you have not dealt with is the accuracy and reliability of the experiments claimed to support the theory. The effects are on the border line of what can be measured.
The authors tend to get the result required by the manipulation and selection of results
. This was so with Eddington's eclipse experiment, and also in the more resent results of Hafele and Keating with atomic clocks. This result was published in Nature, so I submitted a criticism to them.
In spite of the fact that I had more experience with atomic clocks than anyone else, my criticism was rejected. It was later published in the Creation Research Quarterly, vol. 14, 1977, p. 46 ff.

http://claesjohnson.blogspot.nl/2014/01/louis-essen-relativity-not-theory.html
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 10:27 am
[
Quote:
b]Louis Essen was the world champion of time measurement[/b] and introduced the new time standard based on the caesium clock rate. Essen understood that Einstein's special theory of relativity is empty of physical meaning and thus is no theory.

Essen passed away in 1972, but it is only a question of time before he will be revived and hailed as one of the few leading scientists who dared to express that relativity theory is empty, even at the price of spoiled career prospects.

Earthlings, wake the **** up!!!
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 10:30 am
Quote:
On March 25, 1984, Louis Essen wrote Carl Zapffe about Einstein's special theory of relativity:
My criticisms were, of course, purely destructive, but I think the demolition job was fairly complete.
I concluded that the theory is not a theory at all, but simply a number of contradictory assumptions together with actual mistakes.
The clock paradox, for example, follows from a very obvious mistake in a thought experiment (in spite of the nonsense written by relativists, Einstein had no idea of the units and disciplines of measurement).
There is really no more to be said about the paradox, but many thousands of words have been written nevertheless. In my view, these tend to confuse the issue.

0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 10:43 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Your statement that "many believe we now have discovered a motionless frame of reference" certainly doesn't apply to physicists. Maybe one or two crackpots, but certainly only the tiniest fraction of physicists.

Do you consider Prof. George Smoot, of the University of California at Berkeley, who has, among other distinguished honors, won the "Einstein medal," to be some kind of "crackpot physicist?"

The following excerpt is from the online website run by him:

Quote:
We attribute the dipole anisotropy to the motion of the Earth and Solar System relative to the universal CMB radiation field and thus the distant matter in the Universe. This would seem to violate the postulates of Galilean and Special Relativity but there is a preferred frame in which the expansion of the Universe looks most simple. That frame is the average rest frame of the matter and CMB and from that frame the expansion is essentially isotropic....The CMB is then the standard frame of reference for cosmolgy work.

Emphasis mine.

Soource: http://aether.lbl.gov/www/projects/u2/

More on George Smoot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Smoot

This view is shared by most, if not all, astrophysicists, from what I understand.
parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:08 am
@layman,
The preferred frame doesn't make it a motionless frame of reference. It seems you don't understand what you posted.

The preferred frame is the average rest frame. How do you calculate an average? I would assume physicists do it the same way mathematicians do. They use several different numbers, add them up and divide by the total numbers they used. It doesn't make the numbers all the same, nor does it even make one of the numbers equal to the average.
layman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:29 am
@layman,
Quote:

This view is shared by most, if not all, astrophysicists, from what I understand.

A similar statement, from another distinguished physicist:

Quote:
The theory of special relativity is based on the principle that there are no preferred reference frames. In other words, the whole of Einstein's theory rests on the assumption that physics works the same irrespective of what speed and direction you have. So the fact that there is a frame of reference in which there is no motion through the CMB would appear to violate special relativity! ....There clearly is a frame where the CMB is at rest, and so this is, in some sense, the rest frame of the Universe.

Emphasis is not mine, but comes from the original

Source: http://www.astro.ubc.ca/people/scott/faq_basic.html

This statement was made by Dr. Douglas Scott, also a physics prof. at UCB.

As you can see, he refers to the CMB as "the the rest frame of the Universe."
dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:49 am
@layman,
Quote:
Forgive me Lay but I still don't quite comprehend the q. I had thought in my reply that I had expressed the idea that the q is meaningless unless one assumes a stationary ref.

Quote:
What question, Dale?

Quote:
Quote:
The question was about which one (between the earth and the train) is moving with respect to the other

Quote:
Would you say, Dale, that if no stationary reference point from which to judge "absolute motion" can be detected. then that means all motion is impossible?
No Lay of course not. But I don't recall having asserted any such thing

Quote:
It seems to me that both you and Brandon do not distinguish between relative and absolutely absolute motion. such thing
I'm sure my apparent confusion results from some sort of semantic obstacle
layman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:54 am
@parados,
Parados, it is true, of course, as Lorentz pointed out, that even if an ether were if fact motionless with respect to all other matter in the universe, that would not prove that it too was not moving.

This is not a new insight that Einstein "discovered." It goes back to Newton (and before). But, for all practical purposes, a preferred frame is treated as motionless, with very good reason.

0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:59 am
@dalehileman,
Well, Dale, I just can't figure out why you say this:

Quote:
I had thought in my reply that I had expressed the idea that the q is meaningless unless one assumes a stationary ref.

Both the earth and the train could be sharing (equally participating in) any number of various motions. And, of course, we believe they are (rotation, revolution around the sun, moving toward the constellation Leo, etc.). But they are moving differently with respect to the railroad tracks. You don't need any "absolutely stationary" point anywhere to see and know that.

This difference in motion did not exist before the train left the station. What happened? Did the train remain (relatively) motionless while the earth decided to start moving under it? SR itself deems acceleration to be "absolute."

Why is such a question "meaningless?" All of our physics presuppose that we have ways of answering it (e.g. by application of the laws of inertial, or conservation of momentum).

SR itself deems accelerated motion to be "absolute motion," doesn't it?
dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 12:58 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Why in the world would Einstein suggest...that a man on a moving train does NOT know he is moving relative to the earth's surface, and not vice versa?
Lay there are about 34 different ways (by actual count) that this q can be understood. For example, by "not vice versa" (1) we don't know whether this is part of Al's assertion or yours and (2) what's meant by "vice versa" or (3) you have misstated Al's assertion, that he didn't really say that in those words

Since it's very unlikely that either Al or the traveler wouldn't know whether he was moving relative to the Earth's surface, you might instead be asking, "Some unspecified physicist maintains that that Einstein is suggesting that the traveler doesn't know whether he is moving relative to the surface. Why would he assert this and not that the traveler does know?"

As it might take several weeks to outline the remaining 29 interpretations, I'll provide my own: "Why would Al ask, 'How does the traveler know he isn't stationary and that it's the earth moving below him?' "

Or is there a 35th….
Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 01:25 pm
unbelievable the stupidity of these people ........
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 01:38 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Do you consider Prof. George Smoot, of the University of California at Berkeley, who has, among other distinguished honors, won the "Einstein medal," to be some kind of "crackpot physicist?"

YES!!!!

Why not? It is the same mistake people make year after year!
TRUSTING AUTHORITIES!!!
That he is a prof ONLY means he get paid very well for spreading lies,, mate!

Start a revolution, start thinking for yourself, mate!!!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 02:08 pm
@layman,
I see you specifically cut out part of the answer there.

Quote:
But for doing any physics experiment, any other frame is as good as this one. So the only difference is that in the CMB rest frame you measure no velocity with respect to the CMB photons, but that does not imply any fundamental difference in the laws of physics.
layman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 05:04 pm
@parados,
Quote:
I see you specifically cut out part of the answer there.

Yeah, so?

Does that change anything he said that I quoted?

Brandon made a claim about what "no physicist believes." I was addressing that claim. Not everything Smoot said was related to that claim.
layman

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 05:11 pm
@dalehileman,
Dale, Al did not use the specific words "vice versa" as I recall. Perhaps I assumed too much when I assumed that anyone who might respond to the question was familiar with the example he used to posit that "simultaneity is relative."

If I take a baseball and bash it over the outfield fence with a bat, you could posit that the baseball never moved one inch. You could argue that the bat striking the ball suddenly caused the stadium to drop rapidly, giving the false appearance that the ball was raising in the air, and that the outfield walls then started approaching the motionless ball, then went past it.

You could argue that, but, really, who would?
0 Replies